What’s On At the Theatre

FRANCESCA HILL and JAMES MACNAMARA are tired, oh so tired. But they're still excited about theatre, and this week is oh so action-packed!

CUSU‘s Mental Health Week was two weeks ago: theatreland has caught up and is offering two of the most interesting plays of the year, both dealing with this issue. And there’s Shakespeare, Footlights Spring Review, a new opera, MORE sketch shows… get going before revision swallows you whole.

Dust Song

ADC, 11pm, 6th – 9th March, £6/£5

A new opera composed by Joe Bates, with a libretto by Ceci Mourkogiannis, co-directing alongside Fred Maynard. There’s some serious Cambridge talent behind this production, but they’re doing something very difficult – go and see if it succeeds.

Footlights Spring Revue 2013: Dressing Down

ADC, 5th – 9th March at 7.45pm, 7th and 9th at 2.30pm
Mats £8/£6, otherwise £10/£8

What you make of this is likely to depend on how many Footlights shows you’ve seen before. This is a three-man, many-costume show, and whilst it’s funny, we think they have and can do better.

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum

Mumford Theatre, Anglia Ruskin, 7.45pm, 6th – 9th March, £10/£8
Matinee 2.30pm, 9th March

This production of Sondheim’s classic isn’t perfect but certainly makes a good evening’s entertainment. It’s funny, clever, and there are some consistently strong performances.

The Gift Of The Gorgon

King’s Bunker, 7pm, 7th – 8th March, £6/£5

The King’s Website calls it “a play about playwrights and academics, about right and wrong, about justice and revenge”. Francesca isn’t exactly a Schaffer expert, but thinks that all sounds great.

The House of Bernarda Alba

Corpus Playroom, 7pm, 5th – 9th March, £6/£5

By Corpus Playroom standards this is apparently only acceptably grim. Lorca’s classic tragedy about a house of women in mourning hit the mark in every way for our reviewers.

Julius Caesar

Fitzpatrick Hall, Queen’s College, 7.30pm, 5th – 9th March, £6/£5

BATS have done good things in the past, and JMac has heard that this might be good too. The Part II English Tragedy paper looms – this might give revision a welcome boost.

Leaving the Ward

Corpus Playroom, 9.30pm, 5th – 9th March, £6/£5

This play features some of the best acting of the term, and behind it is process that many people try but rarely is it pulled off like this. However, JMac had an issue with the way some of the themes are dealt with – but he urges you to go and make up your own mind.

Snap Out Of It!

Pembroke New Cellars, 7.30pm, 5th – 9th March, £5

A potentially important piece, this is a weaving together of accounts of mental illness through innovative dramatic technique. Not as pretentious as it sounds – in fact, in looks to be one of the theatrical highlights of the year.

Tough Crowd: A New Sketch Show

Pembroke New Cellars, 9.30pm, Tue 5th – Sat 9th March, £5

Another sketch show this term – haven’t we laughed enough? Can we bear any more mirth? Apparently this show won’t add to it much. So there’s no need to worry.

• Shakespeare Fan

surprised Tab didn’t review Julius Caesar – it was brilliant. i was so impressed. i went on opening night on tuesday – im going again tonight. it also got 4 stars from varsity and cambridge theatre review, shouldve got 5!

• Anonymous

It exists in our hearts, or not at all.

• Innovative

Snap Out Of It! was fantastic. I urge you all to go an see it – definitely not pretentious, not all depressing, and very thought provoking. A really fantastic production!

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Oxford votes YES to a disaffiliation referendum

OUSU decides to put NUS disaffiliation to a vote while the CUSU referendum decision will be made next week.

Which Pokémon is your college?

Find out if your college is the very best, like no one ever was…

“Friends with benefits” means nothing

The ‘friends’ part is unnecessary. The ‘benefits’ part is disappointing.

Aussie street style: Melbourne

Could you be any more laidback

We asked our mums if they hate having us back at home after university

A new study has found live-at-home adults are a £1.2 billion drain on their parents

, Features Editor

Sorry, I just don’t get Lena Dunham

She’s not an ‘inspiration’

, Deputy Editor

The NUS has had better weeks, but I promise we’re changing

Vice President Richard Brooks wants you to stay

, Bristol Editor of The Tab

Capitalism is dying – and we’re all becoming socialists

51 per cent of millennials ‘do not support’ it

QUIZ: How vain are you?

Bet you think this quiz is about you