Penis equals pounds

By ,         on

Male graduates five times more likely to earn £40,000 a year

Grads are FIVE TIMES more likely to earn £40,000 within three years of graduating, if they’re blokes. 

While one in 20 men earn £40,000 within three years of graduating, just 1% of women reach the same heights, despite 40-year-old equality laws intended to snuff out gender discrimination.

Is this where women belong?

Warwick uni boffins surveyed 17,000 grads from 2006 for The Higher Education Careers Services Unit, tracking their salaries three years down the line.

The results slam the idea that gender equality exists:

– Half of men

– Fewer than a third of women

– One in 20 men

– One in 100 women

– One in 40 men

– One in 333 women

Stats show a “strikingly uneven” pay gap, says lead researcher Jane Artess, who found the take-home pay of female grads to range between a meagre £15,000-£23,999.

And when it comes to earning big money, men do better in most careers, including:

– Medicine

– Computer science

– Law

– Engineering

– Education

The not-for-profit sector is a lone ranger when it comes to paying men and women equally.

And it doesn’t get any better the older you get. According to the Office for National Statistics, women in their 50s earn 20% less than men.

While the average 50-year-old woman earns £11.99/hour, the average man cashes in £14.69/hour.

So put down those books, ladies, studying is probably pointless.

• money

isn’t everything

• I don’t understand

why this is still the case. It’s fucking stupid. But the headscratcher is how to solve it…

• KD

Loverboy, WHY, pray tell do you think more women work part-time?!

• Statistics

In no part of your article, or the Independent’s version of the story, was it mentioned whether they standardised for number of hours worked. I would therefore assume that they didn’t and this is another non-story. Different hours is a different issue and one that society should think about, but doesn’t automatically make employers sexist.

• Non-Story

There are so many confounding factors for this. Of course there are more men in computer science, because there are more men studying computer science and that’s just because more men apply to study it. In fact, if you look at which degrees have a higher average salary it tends to be STEM, which are more popular with men. This study would be far more worthwhile if they compared male and female graduates from the same course.

• Statisticician

They clearly didn’t account for Simpson’s paradox. I would suggest that by not accounting for degree choice (a maths degree pays higher than an english degree on average but more women than men take english) and number of hours worked, the above data is completely meaningless.
    While there may be institutional sexism still in the workplace in this country the above data does not show it and therefore basing conclusions off it is about as useful as pissing in the wind and looking at the direction it falls

• KD

AH! A male metaphor for a masculinist comment! (Think about what happens when women pee if you don’t get it…) Your comment is pointless. You know why? The article clearly states that WITH THE EXCEPTION of non-profits this holds true for ALL SECTORS. Not just math. Even English faculty.

• Sectors

Do you understand what we are? We’re not degrees or subject faculties.

• Sad woman

You make me sad to be a woman, if you are one.

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By on

Oxford captain RULED OUT for Varsity match happening in 11 DAYS

With very little time to go, Cambridge gets a massive boost

By , Deputy Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

EXLCUSIVE PICS: James Bond Director Sam Mendes in town for Peterhouse Freshers’ Play

He returned to his old stomping ground of Peterhouse and helped out with the Freshers’ Play

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness