Football Cuppers: 2nd Round

By ,         on

A complete round of this weekend's football Cuppers action.

Snow and ice gave way to the warmth of Cup Romance this weekend, with six second-round Cuppers ties being played. Here’s what happened:

Downing 2-0 King’s

Downing ran out winners in the pick of the second round ties. Goals from Guest and Stevens. Read Ben McNally’s full report here.

Jesus 1-0 Queens’

by Cameron Brooks and Tim Kitching

Jesus edged past Queens’ in a gritty cup affair to extend their unbeaten season in all competitions. They needed extra-time to do so, though, as a tough Queens’ side pushed them all the way.

The first half offered little by way of clear-cut chances, the best falling to Jesus after Kitching’s run from right back was cut short on the edge of the box. Roocroft could only blaze wide from the ensuing free kick. Queens’ main threat came on the counter attack, aided by some quick passing in midfield.

Any glimpses of quality that could be found in the opening period were even harder to come by in the second half. Roocroft again went close, this time with a header against the bar. Then, with extra time beckoning, Queens’ came closest to sealing the win with a neat through ball and shot from the left that rebounded agonisingly off the inside of the post.

And so the tie entered extra time, and Crooks pressed forward on the left to fire into the side netting for Jesus. The breakthrough eventually came from a set piece, as centre back Crawford rose to head in from Sheldon’s corner. From then on, Jesus showed why they have only conceded four goals in six games to close out a narrow but deserved victory. The game won’t live too long in the memory of the dedicated fans who turned up at the Jesus pitch, but both sides will be happy with the commitment on display in this tight encounter.

Jesus and Queens’ do battle

Emma 1–4 Fitz

by Donald Bogle

On a sunny afternoon at Wilberforce Road, braces from Daniel Lobron and Sam Hobbs helped Fitz to overcome a spirited Emma side 4-1, ensuring their progress into the quarter-finals. Emma, currently bottom of the league, must now focus on trying to survive the dreaded drop.

Fitz started much the brighter, crafting a couple of early chances before Emma could get any sort of foothold in the game. Their pressure soon told when forward Lobron latched onto a through ball from Bogle and kept his composure in front of the Emma ‘keeper to calmly finish for 1-0. Fitz’s lead was immediately doubled after some good build up in midfield culminated in James Rhodes releasing Hobbs, who worked himself a yard of space before firing home from the edge of the box. And a shell-shocked Emma could do little to prevent Hobbs’ second soon after, when the winger curled in a free-kick from 25 yards.

The second half was a much tighter affair and Emma, with nothing to lose, came out far more determined and showing glimpses of quality worthy of their Division 1 status. Indeed, it was the home side who struck first after the break, pulling a goal back when skipper Ben Stretch rose highest to head home a decent cross and show there was life in the game yet.

Fitz’s captain was forced to reshuffle his formation and personnel in an attempt to quash any Emma comeback. The changes clearly worked as the game was sewn up by Lobron who, having nicked the ball from the Emma centre-back, raced through to finish coolly again. Emma are out, with the pressing matter of relegation on their minds, while Fitz march on in search of the double.

Caius 4-3 Trinity

by Will Pithers

Caius have struggled to find form in the league this year, but their cup run continued after a thrilling 4-3 victory over a Trinity side that currently lie three points off the summit of the second division.

A blustery start to proceedings helped Caius gain an early lead, after a dipping cross from the left forced a Trinity defender to put past his own ‘keeper. Midfield playmaker Yerolemou, who has been in sparkling form this season, soon made it two with a cross-cum-shot that found its way into the back of the net. A well-worked third goal gave the Divison 1 strugglers an impressive 3-0 lead going into the break.

But the visitors were far from finished. With the wind behind them and the addition of three Blues players substituted on at half time, Trinity started the second half brightly. After two quick goals – both of which came from long balls into the box, which the Caius defence simply couldn’t handle – it looked as though the boys in blue would go on to win the game.

Caius responded, however, with the kind of grit and determination they will need if they are to stay in the top league. The arrival of Blues captain Ross Broadway proved to be key; his near-post free kick flummoxed the opposition ‘keeper and gave the home side some breathing space. A late Trinity goal was not quite enough, as Caius clung on for an important win that sees them through to the quarter-finals.

Elsewhere there was a shock in the Pembroke-Homerton game as Division 2 Pembroke beat Homerton 2-1.

Darwin were made to fight for their win against Churchill. With the score-line locked at 2-2, the grads were put through the torture of penalties in order to go through, which they duly did, winning 4-3.

Girton and Magdalene had already won their second round ties and will face each other in the quarters. The full draw looks like this:

Girton v Magdalene

Darwin v Fitzwilliam

Downing v Caius

Jesus v Pembroke

• Robbie Savage

How did Pembroke beat Homerton?!?!

• Great

• Big Sammy Hobbs

He writes what he wants
    He scores when he wants

• Oliver “Trevs Chopper” Harris

I love Trevs, I chose to come here, don’t defame my existence.

• Chris Higgins

If I had my way there would be no colleges, and no need for this vote in the first place #vivalahiggins

• Ricky Martin

Alex Prescott is from Trevs and he fingers cats- case closed.

• Concerned as well

With the redevelopment of Albany Park there could be as many as 600 more rooms down there, alleviating some pressure on the system. Any complaints of HMOs which seems to be a major cause of housing problems needs to be directed to Fife Council, there should be more pressure on them in this protest.

• Ex-student

Asking the head of the University how she plans to respond to a potential housing crisis directly affecting the student body she represents and to whom she should be (at least partly) accountable makes a lot of sense to me. Or you could just sit back and talk about “dialogue” with “anyone who wants to listen” so you can solve the problem through “sensible action”. Whatever the hell that is.

• Mario

Whilst I feel that it would be unfair of anyone to blame Dr Richardson for the housing crisis, as it is clear that this burden is one not solely to be placed on her shoulders, I think that she should be taking measures to combat the gross overpopulation of the student population, particularly in the wake of the University’s announcement that they will be admitting more students to cover the annual £2 million pound budget cut. In a town where there is already a very high demand on student housing, shoving more students into the mix is only going to increase the demand for accommodation, and in turn force the prices to rise even higher.

• Embarrassed Student

What do you expect? nnnOriginally, the petition couldn’t even spell ‘accommodation’ correctly. The petitioner lacks the most basic sense of grammar and it is an embarrassment that he was even accepted to this university.nnnHe obviously also lacks the common sense of realising that our Principal isn’t some kind of magical being able to wave her wand and revoke the HMO ban. nnnI’m honestly embarrassed that I worked so hard to get to this university and some babbling toddler wrote a petition that will go on to represent the students to the university. nnnThe only thing the university CAN do is give out less offers, but at this point of the UCAS cycle – it is too late.

• grammar is hard :/

*fewer offers

• Grammar is not hard :)

Both less and fewer can be used in this context.

• Henry Wilde, Cardiff

Wow, who invited the cunt brigade?

• Poly

I’m sure you have a lot of experience in finishing in less than a minute.

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By on

REVIEW: And Then There Were Nuns

Lia Johansen-Villanueva was promised cocktails and an evening of laughter. The team behind And Then There Were Nuns delivered, and even threw in a lovely furry hat.

By on

The Love of the Nightingale and violence against women

Fresher director Eva O’Flynn discusses dealing with themes of rape and abuse of women in theatre on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.

By , Contributing Editor on

How much noise should boys make in bed?

Say your own name over and over again, obviously

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it

By , Chief Reporter on

We be burnin’: Meet the golden boys who tan

Lads trip to the sunbeds anyone?

By , Features Editor on

How to come out to your parents

‘My mum hung up on me when I told her I was gay and didn’t call back for 45 minutes’

By , Features Editor on

What club photographers really think of you

A lot of editing goes into that squad Facebook photo

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s the meanest thing anyone’s ever done to you?

Everything is funny when it happens to someone else