BREAKING: WikiLeaks Takes On Oxford Union

and

Julian Assange is back in the headlines after WikiLeaks accuses the Oxford Union of censorship.

WikiLeaks has accused the Oxford Union of censoring Julian Assange’s videolink speech on 23rd January.

They claim that the Oxford Union pulled the live stream and edited the speech over issues with the background image chosen by Assange.

During his speech, Assange featured a video released by WikiLeaks in 2010 titled ‘Collateral Muder’ that shows, from the gunner’s perspective, an Apache helicopter firing on Reuters journalists and civilians.

In the video released by the Oxford Union the original background can no longer be seen; instead, it is replaced by an official Union background. The Union maintain this is because of fears of a copyright claim from the US government. WikiLeaks, however, states that it advised the Union that “by law and practice the US government does not claim copyrights on footage or documents that it produces.”

Assange made his speech as part of the Sam Adams Awards, an event dedicated to whistleblowers, organised by the Oxford Union.

Here are the two videos in question:

Protest to his speech had been widespread, a situation that’s all too familiar for Cantabs. As most readers will already know, Assange cancelled his speech in Cambridge because of “technical reasons”. He then went on to announce a speech in Hamburg on the same day, leading the Cambridge Union to point out his “apparent dishonesty.”

The news comes at a bad time for the Oxford Union, who were recently accused of staging a cover up over the invitation of BNP leader Nick Griffin.

@MaxToomey
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Oxford votes YES to a disaffiliation referendum

OUSU decides to put NUS disaffiliation to a vote while the CUSU referendum decision will be made next week.

Which Pokémon is your college?

Find out if your college is the very best, like no one ever was…

“Friends with benefits” means nothing

The ‘friends’ part is unnecessary. The ‘benefits’ part is disappointing.

, Bristol Editor of The Tab

Capitalism is dying – and we’re all becoming socialists

51 per cent of millennials ‘do not support’ it

QUIZ: How vain are you?

Bet you think this quiz is about you

, Editor of The Tab London

Staggering results show three-quarters of students want to leave the NUS

According to a Tab poll of 6,500 people

, National Editor

There’s going to be an investigation into sexist advertising

Reaction to the Protein World ads highlighted a need for change

,        

We’ve found the best alternatives to Naked palettes

Who wants to pay £38.50 for eyeshadow?

and

What trainers should you be wearing?

Take our quiz to find out