Jesus Jokers In Eton Mess

A trio of Jesus students are in a sticky situation after posing as Etonian applicants.

Three Jesus students have posed as applicants from Eton in a bid to frighten interviewees. 

The second year students entered the Marshall room dressed in suits and made outrageous claims to sixth formers waiting for their interviews.

According to Tab sources, the pranksters suggested only pupils from public schools had a chance of getting into the college.

Invigilators in the Marshall room, which was being used as the interview waiting room, soon realised what the students were up to and informed the college authorities.

As a result Dr Geoff Parks, the Senior Tutor at Jesus, released this statement:

“Three undergraduate members of Jesus College caused a disturbance in the area where a number of applicants were waiting for interview. This disturbance was cut short by the prompt intervention of other undergraduates who were acting as helpers during the interview process.

The College condemns this stupidity. The Dean of College is investigating the incident and will in due course decide what disciplinary action is appropriate.

Applicants will not be disadvantaged as a result of this incident.”

Student reaction has been mixed. This Facebook status, which was leaked to The Tab, received 158 likes, suggesting that many see a funny side to the prank.

But one Jesus fresher, who asked to remain anonymous, told us: “I can’t believe anyone would want to shake up applicants like that. They were in the same position once.”

Members of the college have suggested that the consequences of the incident itself aren’t particularly damaging – there would only have been around ten applicants in the Marshall room at any one time.

The intent of the action is perhaps of more concern to the college, along with the possibility that applicants might use the incident as an excuse for poor performance in interview – possibly with good reason.

The incident is likely to be a source of great embarrassment to the University, which has tried hard to dispel myths of anti-state school bias.

More to follow.

@TabCambridge
  • Fucking hell

This is outrageous.

• Actually

Anyone who saw what happened would realise that they were quite clearly just taking the piss and that there was absolutely no effect on the admissions process whatsoever. Accusations of "shak[ing] up the applicants" are total bollocks.

• True.

Agree, I bet this comments section is full of applicants. No article would normally get that many comments/ratings outside of term.

• Whodunnit

?

• XYZYX

At church I was always taught that Jesus accepts everyone.

• Reader

Initially funny until you realize you are messing with some kid's future.

• Neutral Witnesses

Why was I not questioned about the events?

• because

you're a cunt

• This report

is based entirely on a facebook status.

• thetab

WRONG

• And

a comment from the Senior Tutor, and a student

• outrageous

but ultimately hillarious

• misspelt

and ultimately wrong

• I think you'll find

you mean 'misspelled'

• actually

both are correct

• think before you act

reminiscent of the royal prank played last week that was only a 'joke'. people's futures and aspirations should not be played with like this by unthinking arseholes

• erm

they are kind of different, the royal prank had a very low chance of affecting any individuals so adversely, this very easily could have affected a few individuals' live

• What complete

dicks

• Facebook status…?

Pretty sure that was a post in 'Overheard at Cambridge' rather than a facebook status. Also it doesn't mention that they went into a interview waiting room and actively tried to put off genuine candidates, so I don't think it's at all representative of whether people found this outrageous (and harmful) prank funny or not.

• Also,

Reading something on a public Facebook page is not receiving a "leak", Tab.

• etonians

are twats though

• RSA

Outrageous. The best solution would be to give applicants the choice to re-interview, IF they think the incident affected their performance.

• In fairness

cracking headline!

• Overheard in Camb

Serious matter, but isn't all this infomation from that one post quoted above as a 'status'? At least get some factual sources Tab.

• you are deluded

if you think the tab run news stories from one facebook post

• No.

The quotes from Jesus College officials weren't in the facebook post. This story clearly expands upon the original facebook post.

• But

its just banter

• such

idiots

• S.I.Ext

Gaawwww. But it was funny.

• Daily Mail

Classic reporting as always

• might be true story

the incident has reached the Independent, who probably do check their sources – it's the main story in their education section

• might not be

Have you read the Independent article? The only source they seem to have checked is The Tab

• think before you act

That is a stupid comparison. This prank causes direct harm to the interviewees and to the reputation of the University; the 'royal prank' could not have been expected to cause anyone any harm, apart from a bit of embarrassment on the part of a few people in the hospital. The results of that prank were completely unforeseeable; this one was much more malicious.

• bigdogginnit

Apparently the prank was done in a way that made it obvious they were joking. As long as that's true it shouldn't be a problem

• Etonians

Why are they all pricks?

• Phoebe

'Only ten students' are ten students whose lives could be changed by not getting in if this effected it.

• XYZYX

*affected.

• affected,

not effected

• Is Cambridge

really life changing?

• voice of reason

well, it is not a nice thing to do, but it is quite funny, and it is a free country. So, unless there were an explicit rule against posing as an applicant, then these pranksters have no case to answer. Of course, if they had made the risible claims about state-school applicants' prospects in the capacity of an officially designated steward or representative, that would have been a serious matter.

• Byron

I don't see why people are getting so worked up about this. If they were pretending to be interviewees it's not like they would be taken seriously by other interviewees. If on the other hand they said they were current second year students and in their first hand experience only students from the independent sector were accepted, then surely that would have carried more gravitas?

• Who the fuck

has so much spare time on their hands that they PUT ON SUITS and intimidate teenagers for shits and giggles.

• Term had ended…

everyone

• Anon

I was an interviewee in the Marshall Room at the time. There were only 3 of us in there. It was quite funny, but it surprised me that such immature nonces actually got in. It certainly didn't shake me up at all. It left me rather bemused.

• A nonce

is a sex offender. don't think they committed any sex offences.

• Cunts,

cunts everywhere

• Pingback: Blue Coaster33()

• Pingback: streaming movies()

• Pingback: free movie downloads()

• Pingback: tv online, online tv()

• Pingback: stream movies()

• Pingback: water ionizer()

• Pingback: kangen water machine()

• Pingback: Website()

• Pingback: DIRECTV vs Dish()

• Pingback: Sat TV()

• Pingback: fue()

• Pingback: car parking()

• Pingback: alkaline water benefits()

• Pingback: water ionizer()

• Pingback: car parking()

• Pingback: water ionizer loan()

• Pingback: pay per day loan plans()

• Pingback: electrician vs plumber()

• Pingback: foley belsaw locksmithing school()

• Pingback: recommended reading()

• Pingback: water main plumber repair brooklyn()

• Pingback: paypal loans()

• Pingback: alkaline water brands()

• Pingback: house blue()

• Pingback: HD Coloring Pages()

• Pingback: water ionizer()

• Pingback: payment plan()

Heard something newsworthy?

Tab Tries: Secret gay dining societies

Four courses, seventy-two gay guys in suits and one debauched evening in the depths of Peterhouse.

Why being single on Valentine’s Day is actually great

No bae to cuddle this Valentine’s? It’s really not the end of the world

Children Solve ADC Mystery

By Enid Q Blyton, Investigative Journalist.

My week in men’s clothes

Apparently everyone’s doing it

What’s the worst lie you told your parents?

‘I was a real sack of shit as a teenager’

, Chief Reporter

I love living in the ‘uncool’ part of Hackney

It’s cheap and occasionally cheerful

, Assistant Editor

London’s nightlife is nothing on a night in a country pub

Take me back to the Black Horse

, Contributing Editor

Getting wasted with Kanye West fans in Notting Hill

To celebrate the release of The Life of Pablo