BluesWeek

Keep up to date with all the Blues action with our new blog.

In the spirit of all things busy, we here at The Tab know that between that epic night at cindies and that lab hand in the next day, you’re a busy person. We also know that, from time to time, you enjoy basking in the reflected glory of our formidable sporting Blues, so bringing these two together, The Tab brings you: BluesWeek. 

Follow the trials and tribulations of the blues each week from the mouths of the players themselves and also find information about where to catch the teams next, and links to Match reports.

We’ll be updating BluesWeek as the matches happen, so make sure to check back.

——————————————————————————-

08/10/12

Rugby

Monday saw the blues take on a strong Northampton Saints side. A solid performance from the blues was not enough to prevent the clinical Saints from running in 49 points to the blues’ 13. The blues started well, with some effective kicking by fresher scrum half Seb Tullie, however the occasional lapse in defence was enough for Saints to capitalise. There were moments when the blues looked dangerous in attack, spearheaded particularly by Danny Holmes, who repeatedly cut through the Saints’ defence. However, in spite of some dominant tackling by the blues, it was Northampton who were able to deliver on periods of pressure to greater effect. The blues found consolation with a late penalty try after a period of impressive play, but were unable to convert any other opportunities throughout the game. Ultimately, a disappointing loss for the blues, but with plenty to be positive about and take away from playing the professional premiership side.

06/10/12

Hockey

On Saturday CUHC went up against the St. Alban’s team, fresh from their victory over Dereham last week. With some strong early showing, an unfortunate accident at their own goal meant that they lost the match 2-1, despite powerful performances from fresher Jamie Bristow and Sam Grimshaw. Read Charlie Bennett’s full Report on the Match here.

Want to catch more: The Blues face City of Peterborough 2XI next week.

———————————————————-

05/10/12 With term having only just started, there’s been limited action in the squads, but already our boys and girls have begun chalking up some wins:

Rugby

In a classic rematch of the traditional Town vs Gown, The Blues went up against Cambridge RFC on wednesday night. After a strong start to the first half, the Blues threw up a bit of a shocker just before half time, letting the Town back into the game, they came striding back to win the game in some style, read Ben Alderson‘s full report here.

Want to catch more: Next Monday (8th October) the Blues go up against the Northampton Saints at Grange Road at 7:15pm.

Hockey

The first weekend of term saw the Blues face a double header in the league and national cup. First up was Dereham on Saturday for a league match, with the players keen to avenge being beaten twice by them in the previous year. The game started off well with Cambridge in control and defending superbly, notably keeper Graeme Morrison producing several top-drawer saves. Tim Swinn took a chance in the second half to go 1-0 up, and the Blues were unlucky not to score a second. The game finished 1-0 and three points were loaded into the car back to Cambridge.

Sunday was a second round match in the National KO Cup; the Blues were drawn against Wisbech at home. The team played well and this paid off by half time: three goals to the good (Cairns, Harrison and Bennett). The second half stated in a similar vein, with two more goals (Cairns and Grimshaw). The Blues then succumbed to two set pieces to see the score become 5-2, however before time was up Cairns claimed his third and a well-earned man of the match. The third round is 28th October, against national league side City of Peterborough at Wilberforce Road.

Want to catch more: Next Saturday (6th October) the Blues face top of the table St. Albans at Wilberforce Road at 12 noon.

Football
CUAFC’s pre-season campaign entered it’s 3rd week in Week 0. Almost 35 players have trained for more than 40 hours of football with the club working hard on honing it’s vision for the season start on 24th October. The boys can take inspiration from their recent trip to St. George’s Park, the new FA National Football Centre, having enjoyed an exclusive tour and two training sessions in world-leading facilities.

Wednesday’s fixture against Cambridge University Press FC – who are yet to drop points in the Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties League, and are progressing well through the FA Vase – was a much-needed test. The Blues started slowly and found themselves punished to the tune of a 2-0 deficit. Despite recovering and then controlling much of the second half, they were unable to take the reward their hard work deserved and the scoreline remained unmoved at 2-0.

Want to catch more: This Saturday, both squads travel to Nottingham

Are you a Blues player and feel your sport is being under represented? Just finished an awesome match and really want everyone to know? Get in contact with us at [email protected]