CUBC To Get New Home

,        

After many years of waiting, Cambridge University rowing will finally have a new place to live, with plans to build a high-tec facility taking shape.

The purchase of a 12-acre site in Ely this week is the first major sign of the new investment pouring into these previously under supported teams from new sponsor Newton.

The initial design concept for the new boathouse.

Whilst many may recognize the Goldie boat club, situated opposite Midsummer common, fewer will know that the vast majority of the necessary training actually occurs up in Ely.

In the past whilst CUBC have had access to a boat club, the women’s (CUWBC) and lightweights (CULRC) have both had to make do with less bespoke facilities.

CUBC Chief Coach, Steve Trapmore said, “We can’t wait to get the use of new up-to-date facilities which will enable us to get the best out of our athletes from our water-based training and deliver a real improvement to our Boat Race campaigns.”

As the clubs all move into the new site, there’ll be high hopes for continuing success for the clubs, with all three having won their races in 2012, and with the women’s race making the move to the tideway in 2015, preparation will continue apace.

Fay Sandford of CUWBC said: “I think the new Ely boathouse marks an important milestone in preparation for taking the Newton’s Women’s Boat Race to the Tideway in 2015. We are very grateful to our sponsors, Newton, without whom this would not have been possible.”

@TheTab
Heard something newsworthy?

Week Five Blues are getting out of hand

Who knew an analogy for tough times could be so invalidating?

Let’s talk about cancer.

Cancer is real, and it’s time to stop victimising those affected.

A donor has been found for Lara, sister of a Cambridge undergraduate

Lara says in the video, “Very excited to tell you some great news.”

, Contributing Editor

How what you watch on Netflix affects your sex life

The science of Netflix and Chill

, Contributing Editor

Just what is ‘dabbing’ and why do footballers keep doing it?

Look at my dab

North London is the best

Stop saying it’s frumpy

, Chief Reporter

Football teams are now signing people who are really good at Fifa

Can you do it on a cold night in Stoke though?

, Chief Reporter

George Galloway: ‘I don’t regret pretending to be a cat on Celebrity Big Brother’

This man wants you to vote for him to be Mayor of London

, Chief Reporter

The king is dead: Spencer Matthews has quit Made in Chelsea

Spenny has followed Caggie into the sunset