CUBC To Get New Home

By ,         on

Facebook Twitter

After many years of waiting, Cambridge University rowing will finally have a new place to live, with plans to build a high-tec facility taking shape.

The purchase of a 12-acre site in Ely this week is the first major sign of the new investment pouring into these previously under supported teams from new sponsor Newton.

The initial design concept for the new boathouse.

Whilst many may recognize the Goldie boat club, situated opposite Midsummer common, fewer will know that the vast majority of the necessary training actually occurs up in Ely.

In the past whilst CUBC have had access to a boat club, the women’s (CUWBC) and lightweights (CULRC) have both had to make do with less bespoke facilities.

CUBC Chief Coach, Steve Trapmore said, “We can’t wait to get the use of new up-to-date facilities which will enable us to get the best out of our athletes from our water-based training and deliver a real improvement to our Boat Race campaigns.”

As the clubs all move into the new site, there’ll be high hopes for continuing success for the clubs, with all three having won their races in 2012, and with the women’s race making the move to the tideway in 2015, preparation will continue apace.

Fay Sandford of CUWBC said: “I think the new Ely boathouse marks an important milestone in preparation for taking the Newton’s Women’s Boat Race to the Tideway in 2015. We are very grateful to our sponsors, Newton, without whom this would not have been possible.”

Facebook Twitter

• Carol Ann Duffy

No offence to the lad but to be honest I could raise three children and still get a First from Nottingham Trent

• Andy Bortion

This is why people should have to apply for a permit to procreate. Both mingers and the kid ain’t much of a looker either.

• oh dear

usually the ugly ones who hide behind a keyboard

• Sophie

• Seriously…

See below for example comments from low life idiots.

• Voice O’Reason

what a bloody dropout… this guy goes to Trent

• Nigel

shit uni anyway

Heard something on campus?

By , Tab reporter on

Emily Maitlis has everyone’s dream job

You know you’ve made it when you’re invited back to speak at the Union

By on

REVIEW: Beluga

Flo Best and Ellen McGrath had a whale of a time and surprisingly learned a bit about belugas along the way.

By on

Corpus playroom’s small theatre space lends itself to the intense feeling of claustrophobia in LAUNCH.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’