CUBC To Get New Home

,        

After many years of waiting, Cambridge University rowing will finally have a new place to live, with plans to build a high-tec facility taking shape.

The purchase of a 12-acre site in Ely this week is the first major sign of the new investment pouring into these previously under supported teams from new sponsor Newton.

The initial design concept for the new boathouse.

Whilst many may recognize the Goldie boat club, situated opposite Midsummer common, fewer will know that the vast majority of the necessary training actually occurs up in Ely.

In the past whilst CUBC have had access to a boat club, the women’s (CUWBC) and lightweights (CULRC) have both had to make do with less bespoke facilities.

CUBC Chief Coach, Steve Trapmore said, “We can’t wait to get the use of new up-to-date facilities which will enable us to get the best out of our athletes from our water-based training and deliver a real improvement to our Boat Race campaigns.”

As the clubs all move into the new site, there’ll be high hopes for continuing success for the clubs, with all three having won their races in 2012, and with the women’s race making the move to the tideway in 2015, preparation will continue apace.

Fay Sandford of CUWBC said: “I think the new Ely boathouse marks an important milestone in preparation for taking the Newton’s Women’s Boat Race to the Tideway in 2015. We are very grateful to our sponsors, Newton, without whom this would not have been possible.”

@TheTab
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Deputy Cambridge Editor

BREAKING: No action taken against NUS or CUCA for breaking referendum rules

Several JCRs are also suspected of rule-breaking

FOOD COLUMN: Ice-Cream Cookie Sandwich

Keep Calm and Carry on Cookie-ing

, Cambridge Editor

BREAKING: NUS employee breaks referendum rules

Tsk tsk NUS.

, Assistant Editor

Putlocker has been blocked by internet service providers

Goodbye, old friend

Your gym leggings might be causing you health problems

At least they make you look cool

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Can you guess whether these people are pro-Brexit?

See if they’re innies or outies based on their outfit

Can you guess the price of these Waitrose ‘Essentials’?

You paid how much for Ardennes Pâté?

, Argument Editor

Forget London, I’m moving to Bath

It’s better in every single way