Ballsy Student Burglar Behind Bars

A burglar who targeted Cambridge colleges has been jailed and banned from Cambridge for life.

A burglar notorious for targeting Cambridge students was jailed this week for three and a half years.

Graham Woollett, 36, was arrested and charged earlier this month for stealing cash, phones and a laptop from Newnham and Clare colleges.

Woollett confessed to two charges of burglary, which occurred a mere few days after he was released from prison for previous thefts at college accommodation. He even asked the court to consider three more of his offences during sentencing.

He was given the longest ASBO in Cambridge’s history last year and his most recent offences at Newnham and Clare were a blatant breach of this. John’s, Catz and St Edmund’s were also targeted at this point.

Nicked: Cambridge college burglar, Graham Woollett

Judge Jonathan Haworth warned Woollett to “Come to Cambridge at your peril” and was sympathetic to students whose important work was robbed in the raids.

The incidents raise questions about the lack of sufficient security in college accommodation and the absent-mindedness of overworked students, which provide a ripe environment for opportunists like Woollett.

Judge Haworth explained Woollett’s technique: “You walk up the staircase and find a room that is not locked and you simply steal electrical goods that are there.”

Will Cole, a second-year Muso from Clare, was left bemused on a sunny afternoon in exam term when his iPod was pilfered from his open ground floor window. He told The Tab: “I popped out of my room to go the loo, and on my return found the iPod gone, having been disconnected from my hifi.

“In leaving the window open and my valuables within sight I was entirely at fault security-wise.”

Vendantha Kumar, a third-year Philosopher also from Clare and living in the Colony, attempted to chase a burglar who was stealing his friend’s Macbook.

“I followed him and called the police whilst keeping a small distance, but when the police arrived they all went to the same road and he escaped.”

It isn’t clear whether these incidents were the work of Woollett, but Kumar is pleased that the police went all out to catch the crook who’d made so many students’ lives miserable, telling The Tab: “It’s great they caught one of them!”

@natalierosegil
  • Tab love

“I followed him and called the police whilst keeping a small distance"

typical Clare College "keeping a small distance" bottler… If that had happened at a 'we is proper gangsta jab you up innit' college like Homerton we'd have killed him in a screwdriver fight before he got ten yards down the street.

• John's Old boy

The twassock wouldn't have got 5 yards down the road from Johns before the hounds got him. We don't fuck about when it comes to hunting scum

Heard something newsworthy?

Is Cambridge getting a second rugby international?

Jamie Roberts tweeted a suggestion that Australian star David Pocock play for Cambridge.

, Cambridge Editor

Clare May Ball Committee forced into “full ticket recall” after college revolts at ticket blunders

Clare: Not so demure and friendly after all.

BREAKING: Arrests made regarding the recent murder of Giulio Regeni

37 arrests have been made by the Egyptian police force in connection with the killing of Giulio Regeni

What your Lent resolution says about you

So you’re giving up chocolate again?

, Contributing Editor

The best football gambler in the world is hiring

His statistical model beats the bookies most weeks

, Chief Reporter

The weirdest things you’re giving up for Lent

ASOS, sex and one guy is even giving up his girlfriend

, Chief Reporter

Commenters on this article from 2001 predicted Tinder and Instagram

They somehow saw Dogspotting coming too

, Chief Reporter

More evidence that barristers are the hottest professionals in London

Look at those cheekbones

, Contributing Editor

This video shows how 200 new skyscrapers will alter London forever

It looks completely different