Wolfson June Event

Cärlchen Jupp is blown away by Wolfson June Event. Any takers for next year?

| UPDATED june event May Ball May Week Wolfson June Event

Elementa at Wolfson

22nd June 2012, £68

Wolfson June Event was sold to me as ‘quite cheap, but quite good value’.

And I think that pretty much sums it up. After getting through the bloody racket greeting the queue (about six people attacking the eardrums with what they claimed was ‘drumming’), it turned into quite a good evening – in fact, really good for the price.

Despite running out of sparkling wine, the drinks were pretty damn good; spirits were high for the majority of the night, and there was very little waiting around, which made a change from some of the balls this year, where drinks queues looked like passport control in Sierra Leone.

Food was also pretty good, although I was fairly disappointed at the level which the committee felt they needed to cater to vegetarians. It’s political correctness gone mad. If you don’t like a hog roast, just have the bun, with a variety of delicious sauces.

As usual at these things, the theme was completely irrelevant to the evening – and in fact one of the big ‘elements’ posters almost caught alight during the fairly lacklustre fireworks. But there were some quirky bits – you could get your feet eaten by some fetishist fish, there was a weird oxygen mask thing which reminded me uncomfortably of A and E, and, quite a surprise, there were some hot people in the bands. Having said that, cinnamon-flavoured whisky isn’t fun or different: it tastes like shit.

The music in general was pretty good, in fact, with some nice trumpeter lads blowing away like there was no tomorrow, which is certainly my kind of June Event. My dancing looks pathogenic, so it was good to be in and amongst an enormous dancefloor crowd, which seemed to remain for most of the night, for both stages.

A standard for these thing seems to be the dodgems, which were great until a friend of mine thought the best thing was to drive over the owner’s feet until we got asked to leave (thanks Joe). There was also a casino, but by the time we got round to it, I could no longer remember my own name, let alone win at poker – which is a shame, as I like to think I’m pretty good at cheating.

So all in all, a pretty good event, and one which should probably respect itself a bit more. Admittedly, a lot of the crowd weren’t trendy young things, but that also meant that a lot of them weren’t complete cocks; so that was a big bonus. I’d definitely go again. And if you’re attractive and single (optional), I’ll buy you a ticket to come along too.

Food and drink:

[rating:4/5]

Wow factor:

[rating:2/5]

Value for money

[rating:5/5]

Star attraction:

Cocktail bar

Biggest turn-0ff:

Fireworks