Homerton June Event

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

TOMMY SHANE reviews the June Event everyone's been talking about.

Homerton June Event

22nd June 2012, £43

As the biggest name on most people’s May week calendars, Homerton June Event was surrounded by rumour, anticipation and desperate ticket-snatching tactics.

In the queue, the look on everybody’s faces seemed to suggest, ‘will it really live up to all the hype?’

It did.

At a measly £43, I’m fairly sure this was the cheapest ticket going during May Week, which may come as quite a surprise given all the ballyhoo surrounding the event. For this we got a lot of booze, some food, and a little bit of shisha in a makeshift, fairy-lit tent, which appeared to have dubious structural integrity.

Fire juggling didn’t quite compensate for the lack of fireworks, but big crowds gathered – more than I can say for ‘DJ Tim’, as the not-so-inspiring stage name suggests. But I think all will agree that the dean’s acoustic set was the stand-out performance, confirming the rumours that Homerton has the best dean in the university.

The food was fine, with hog roasts being a reliable staple of any event, and cheese and wine adding a rare hint of sophistication. But the queues for crepes were really quite long, which was fairly annoying, given they’re only crepes.

Yes, there were problems. The dependency on balloons gave a distinctively school disco atmosphere. Security was limited. There was no St. John’s Ambulance.

The committee need to know that Cambridge students are going to expect the highest standards given the annual excitement for Homerton’s events. Luckily Homerton’s flagship ‘Mary Allan Building’ detracted from some of the design flaws during the night, being one of the 90s’ architectural masterpieces. Ticketing was also superb.

The major flaw of the night was undoubtedly the theme, Fire And Ice. This seems to have been a problem with many events, such as Pembroke’s pastiche of all things South American . But the committee at Homerton, rather than designing a culturally ignorant mishmash, seemed to forget what the theme was, apparently completely ignoring it. Calling the hog roast ‘sizzling’ and the fajitas ‘fiery’ is a laughable effort, and the blue and silver design theme was incredibly irrelevant.

Ultimately, however, I seldom saw a face that wasn’t contorted by a big fat grin as people squeezed every penny’s worth of enjoyment out of their forty-three pounds. I highly recommend organizing a trip to this or another cheapo option next year, given that you can almost go for the price of a queue-jump at Trinity. Also, being on the Friday, it’s possible to delay those post-May Week blues and go out with a bang.

Facebook Twitter
  • Seriously?

Ticketing was superb? Paper wristbands, printed tickets and terrible email skills… It's almost like you're mates with the ticketing officer or something

• Seriously.

Check your wristband – not plastic. Most events nowadays use e-tickets, it was a good idea. It wasn't a fancy May ball. Ticketing got the job done and got it done fast.

• Seriously.

I meant not paper, obviously.

• Just sayin'

Were you or were you not all in by 9.45? Sounds efficient to me.

• Burnie

I creased when I first went in – champagne was served by a girl in a pink shellsuit!

• armchair critic

This review does not do justice to how brilliant the June Event was.

• I'm sorry…

but where are the reviews of the proper may balls – Christ's and Caius? And other June Events (Newnham for one) are worth more comment than this.

• apparently not. dick.

• where are

kings and trinity hall reviews?

• where are

the kings and tit hall reviews?!

• Mario

Why no star ratings?

• Luigi

I'll do it for you:

Food and drink ****
      Wow factor **
      Value for money *****

Heard something on campus?

By on

Cambridge’s most obscure societies*

We went beyond the clichéd ones (Tiddlywinks, anyone?) to find Cambridge’s most obscure societies. *(AKA ones that are a tiny bit niche and were also willing to speak to us. Which was not that many.)

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Louise Mensch: “I’m a feminist and I don’t give a fuck what you say”

“There are no safe spaces when I’m around.”

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Features Editor on

Best person on Facebook this week

Netflix and chill is DEAD

By ,         on

VOTE: Who was the best dressed this week?

These people are killing it

By , Durham Editor of The Tab on

Durham Linguists are feckless posers who don’t know the meaning of a real degree

‘Ou est la gare?’

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Best clubbers of the week

You drink, we judge

By ,         on

Third years who found their housemate dead in his room are now being sued for unpaid rent

They were too traumatised to return