Cambridge Guests New Vibe

By on

A new website is working with The Tab to provide better deals for students in Cambridge.

A new website for Cambridge nightlife could mean the end of college club reps.

Guestvibe, which launches this week, has been set up to provide an online guest list, where students sign up in advance and get reduced cost on the door – exactly the same as college reps provide, but without having to leave your computer.

The Tab will be working with the website from Michaelmas to provide the best deals to Tab readers.

With the majority of Cambridge club nights already listed on the site, it has been suggested that promoters may in fact prefer this to using student reps.

However, the site’s founder, Sebastian Salek, quickly played down the issue, explaining that “It works alongside reps so it doesn’t screw them over: lists have to be submitted by 9pm and inevitably there’ll be people wanting wrist bands after that.”

James Sheldon, a second year engineer, told the Tab, “If you’re someone who goes out all the time I can see how it would be useful, but to be honest, I think most people decide late on and will use the reps.”

Either way, students will no doubt be pleased that they can get cheap deals without having to track down their reps.

• Club Frequenter

Surely this is exactly the same as just posting on the FB events a list of the names of people going?…

• except

all in one place and easier to find

• Coincidence Spotter

How convenient that Sebastian Salek is also the tab opinion editor

• hmm

Oh wow thanks for advertising one of your writer's new companies, really helpful Tab

• NotNews

it wouldn't be quite so bad if it had been a feature, like other shameless tab promotions, but news? Really?

Come on tab, you're better than this.

• Despite blatant advertising…

This is actually a really good idea.

• 404

shit boys

• hmmm

Well, if it puts the student reps out of business, that would be a mightily good thing. They are such irritating people, what with the amount of spam they generate on the JCR list. At my College, the JCR moderators seem to give them carte blanche to post *incessantly* with impunity (I am fairly sure that nobody would have difficulty tracking them down, given the running commentary as to where they will be at a given time), whilst advertisements from Societies are relegated to a bloody weekly bulletin, meaning that by the time the advertisement is disseminated, the event in question is either too soon for the advertisement to realistically make a difference (would you suddenly decide to go to a talk/play/concert/match/&c. an hour before it starts?), or already past.

• Guestvibe?

Could it have a shitter name?

• Pingback: google()

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

The Union Presidential Elections: The Tab interviews Sachin and Charlotte

We asked the Union presidential candidates why you should vote for them

By on

Finn McRedmond Week 7: Stop being a tragedy hipster

Morality isn’t about being cool

By on

Review: Be Waffle

ANNA WHITE has a wonderful break at Be Waffle

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it

By , Chief Reporter on

We be burnin’: Meet the golden boys who tan

Lads trip to the sunbeds anyone?

By , Features Editor on

How to come out to your parents

‘My mum hung up on me when I told her I was gay and didn’t call back for 45 minutes’

By , Features Editor on

What club photographers really think of you

A lot of editing goes into that squad Facebook photo

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s the meanest thing anyone’s ever done to you?

Everything is funny when it happens to someone else