Peterhouse May Ball: Best Dressed

by on

Facebook Twitter

ANNA SHEINMAN picks the best dressed from Peterhouse May Ball.

Aoife Monaghan, Third Year Lawyer from Selwyn

Jessica Chatwin, Anglia Ruskin, Optometry

Dara Annett, Selwyn Second Year NatSci

Catherine Ward, Peterhouse medic, who got engaged only that afternoon.

Chris Ostermeyer, Sidney Sussex, International Relations

Charlie Walker-Arnott, Pembroke Fourth Year Arabist and Katya Kazakevich, New Hall Graduate.

Chris Ladusans, Peterhouse Third Year Lawyer and Alyssa Garcia, Columbia University.

Facebook Twitter

• Shush, You

She looks lovely. Leave her alone.

• Aptapt

She looks better than the other girls here!

• im jealous

posh twats

• Get it right!

White Tie is the height of gentlemen's attire. So suggesting that any gentleman wearing White Tie correctly, is better dressed than any other gentleman also wearing White Tie correctly (and there were many at the Ball last night) is evidently incorrect and ridiculous. Either you mean 'good looking', or you're just plain wrong.

• Scotsman

Well I can confirm that Mr Browne did not even succeed in getting it right.

Bonnie Prince Charlie jackets are suitable for black tie, not white. Also, anything but white hose really shouldn't be worn for either black or white tie.

• you're a pikey

Only the nouveau riche wear 'white hose'. Good to see Mr. Browne keeping up standards.

• scottish

Bonnie Prince Charlie jackets are not white tie, this is true – they should wear a doublet. But white hose are for black tie, white tie should have tartan hose. He also should be wearing a black tie – Highland dress asks for a black bow tie even at white tie events.

• Jasper

I'm not sure you are correct. Men's attire may be broadly standardised, but there are still important decisions to be made over accessories (cufflinks, rings, scarves, watches etc.), and the quality of suits and shoes that you see at these events does vary (from Moss Bros. to Huntsman). You are just being a knob.

• Sartorial Snob

Cufflinks – pearl (white tie), onyx (black tie)
        Rings – one signet ring. Left pinkie. Wedding rings are a modern invention for men.
        Scarf – white for white tie, none for black tie.
        Watches – none for either, its a formal event. Time is not important.

With regards to the quality of suit, there is a little variation. All patent leather shoes are largely indistinguishable.

It is, however, pleasing to see the occasional detachable collar.

• Pedant

"Rings – one signet ring. Left pinkie." What about our sinister left-handed friends?

• Timing is key

I think you'll find for a timed event with music acts, food, and even drink going on and off at particular times, a watch is really rather helpful… Or I could just look at my phone which I have on me at all times – not quite as classy as either a decent wrist or pocket watch.

• However

I'm not sure I've ever seen evening wear as ill-fitting as Mr Walker-Arnott's…

• jkg

Do you have to wear white tie at Peterhouse?

• Petrean

No. "White Tie Preferred"
      Black tie etc. also allowed.

• Jones

It was the dress code for their May Ball. You don't need to wear this whilst studying.

• Cobbledick

Walker-Arnott, wtf is up with your right leg

• Julian Mack

I was best dressed, as I am perfect.

• hmm

i discovered at peterhouse that a mohawk is acceptable in white tie…

• Congratulations

to the girl who just got engaged

• What

are the grey things that look like mini mop heads stuck to Charlie's shirt?

• Petrean

I'm not really that fussy, but since you've supposedly picked out the "best dressed", you could at least have chosen men who follow white tie guidelines perfectly e.g. all wearing white gloves and with a double-stripe down the side of the trousers. Hardly any of the men actually got white tie spot-on, so you could quite justifiably have picked out a few; I just think you made the wrong choices.

• student2126192

• hmm

i'm sorry my hairstyle disgruntled you.

The Tab is a network of 60 university news sites with thousands of student reporters

By on

LIVEBLOG: The CUSU Freshers Fair 2015

All you need to know

by , Senior Tab reporter on

Best Dressed: Freshers’ Fair

The Tab’s Fashion editors, GEORGINA WONG and VICCI NELMES scout out the best dressed students at this year’s Freshers’ Fair.

By on

Introducing: the Tab’s new agony uncle

Niyi Adelakun is here to solve all of your Cambridge problems

by , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’

by , Chief Reporter on

Meet the top Tory students who are set to take over the country

They wear suits to lectures and own framed photos of Margaret Thatcher

by , Chief Reporter on

Drunk student Tory spends £311 on an Uber from Manchester to London

He claims he put in the wrong address

by , Chief Reporter on

Eton had a dubstep society and they ‘tore up filthy sets’ in every meeting

They even spelled it ‘dub step’

by , Chief Reporter on

Diversity Officer charged for racist ‘kill all white men’ Tweet

She also banned white men from an equality event

by , Chief Reporter on

University Challenge sphincter preservation is ‘no laughing matter’

Contestant’s course leader says it’s not funny