Exam Faim

LEAF ARBUTHNOT takes you through the top exams treats for the big day.

Certain departments allow snacks to be taken into the exam room itself, alongside the usual clique of pens, nerves and an over-folded slip of yellow paper.

The criteria for the foods permitted seem to orbit erratically around the word “considerate”. Snacks must be small, silently consumable, and not sloppy. Don’t bring a burger; you’ll have to dominate it outside while your competitors file cheerily past, offering you sips of Evian. Bring a Smartie, however, and Bob will remain your father’s brother.

Of course, take the average Muggle and they’ll suggest boiled sweets as the perfect exam-paper companions. But these have to be unwrapped prior-entry, and induce thirst or nostalgia – to be avoided at all costs, unless you’re writing about drought or flares. Here are three alternatives.

Considerate fridge-fudge

This fudge is incredibly neat. It doesn’t leave grease marks, it won’t suddenly melt and it tastes great.

Break up 200g of dark chocolate into a pan; add half a can of condensed milk and a tablespoon of butter. Heat slowly for five or so minutes, stirring regularly to ensure the chocolate doesn’t burn. Add 300g or so of icing sugar and Tabasco to taste. Remove from the heat and beat until glossy, then pour into a shallow dish and set in the fridge. Once it’s hard, cut it into squares.

Considerate basil and lemon biscuits

These are surprisingly neat as biscuits go, so shouldn’t crumble all over your desk. More to the point they are yummy as heck.

Mix together 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, ½ a cup of butter, 2 tablespoons of  chopped fresh basil, the rind and juice of one lemon (though just the juice will do), and a teaspoon of pesto. It should form a dough fairly quickly, but add lemon juice if it’s too dry. Form eyeball size lumps and bake on greaseproof or lined WHSmith paper at about 170 degrees for ten minutes, until very slightly golden.

Considerate peppermint creams

I had no green food dye, apols.

Beat one egg white until very foamy, but not peaked. Add 250g of icing sugar – more might be needed as egg white sizes vary – and stir until stiff. Add four drops of peppermint essence and one or two of green food dye. Roll into small sweets and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon. Refrigerate for a day.

Good luck.

You may begin writing now.

@leaflondonette
  • this article

i dont get it

• Really

tabasco in fudge? i think the cook book pages got stuck together

• Isaac Newton

Fitz beat Johns at rugby

• spoof to

bring a sunday roast into your next exam

• wednesday

i do love you leaf! bob will remain your father's brother…honestly! im indulging in a graze box at the moment, perfect exam nibbles

• FAN

Loving it as usual…!!!

• i am really

going to miss you when I graduate, Leaf :(

• so bored

of leaf

• Spellcheck

Flour! Not flower. Unless you're making a different kind of biscuit.

• she's called leaf.

• ….

Basil and lemon biscuits? Dio mio…

• LOLOL

cool, i'll take a Leaf out of your book.

• Alec

Awesome, but flour not flower.

• dear leaf

you can cut me into squares when i'm hard

Heard something newsworthy?

Week Five Blues are getting out of hand

Who knew an analogy for tough times could be so invalidating?

Let’s talk about cancer.

Cancer is real, and it’s time to stop victimising those affected.

A donor has been found for Lara, sister of a Cambridge undergraduate

Lara says in the video, “Very excited to tell you some great news.”

, Contributing Editor

How what you watch on Netflix affects your sex life

The science of Netflix and Chill

, Contributing Editor

Just what is ‘dabbing’ and why do footballers keep doing it?

Look at my dab

North London is the best

Stop saying it’s frumpy

, Chief Reporter

Football teams are now signing people who are really good at Fifa

Can you do it on a cold night in Stoke though?

, Chief Reporter

George Galloway: ‘I don’t regret pretending to be a cat on Celebrity Big Brother’

This man wants you to vote for him to be Mayor of London

, Chief Reporter

The king is dead: Spencer Matthews has quit Made in Chelsea

Spenny has followed Caggie into the sunset