The Source

By on

EMMA WILKINSON thinks there are truly delightful scenes in this film but never has the word ‘moist’ been used so much and so out of place

Directed by Radu Mihaileanu

The Source follows the progress of Leila, a young woman in a remote desert village. She battles against the obstinate male figureheads, who insist that it’s the women’s duty to make the dangerous daily journey to fetch water. But what begins as an engaging account of a pioneering woman’s struggle to overturn the lazy patriarchal set-up of her village meanders into a vaguely monotonous account of rural life. Although the sense of a struggle is never lost, the focus passes swiftly between Leila’s own struggle, that of the village as a whole and, in the end, that of the audience.

On a personal level and larger scale, the women’s conflicts with their husbands were very emotionally-wrought and well-conveyed. Broaching gender equality on such a wide-ranging scale was quite a bold move, however, and a narrower focus might have given the film a firmer grounding. While the initial problem of water-fetching seems a simple enough agenda, Mihaileanu complicates his story by encompassing tradition, religion and familial problems in a range of interweaving subplots.

Contributing to the restlessness of the film is the influence of several parallel problems. As is evident in the division of their social groups, the village is reaching a fork in the road between its own traditions and urbanisation. Although this dilemma was deftly evoked, the hipster glasses worn by the microbiologist were perhaps one step too far. Much of the integrity of a home-grown fight against the system starts to crumble when a mysterious lover swoops in. His inevitable perpetual infatuation with Leila is the catalyst for the neat solution to all their problems – and not their commitment to the cause.

Somewhere amongst the vast web of woes and tribulations, however, are smatterings of truly delightful scenes. Sister Rifle is a supreme force of nature, and it is almost worth watching The Source purely to see an older woman of questionable sanity plodding through the desert on a donkey whilst nagging her son on her mobile.

What remains unsatisfying about The Source is the feeling that this could have been a soulful, ground-breaking film. As it is, there are certainly heart-warming moments and some exquisitely funny lines, but the powerful resolution isn’t there. Worth the ticket price alone, however, are the unrelentingly literal translations of the songs. Never has the word ‘moist’ been used so much and so out of place.

• Article Critic

• Arun Thid

• Troll

This is shit.

• Hilary

Three things to be learned from this:
    1. Don’t submit your work until the last minute.
    2. Staple your pieces of paper.
    3. Don’t go to a university that still asks for physical copies of essays.

• Lexi

You mean ‘don’t wait until the last minute to submit your work’ :p

Agree with points 2 and 3

• Hilary

Oh right, yeah. Silly me. Modified it.

• confused

And it couldn’t be printed off again because….?

• dddd

read the fukin article

• yeah but…

you go to Lincoln

• How

does it take two people to write such a pointless article?
    Also who the fuck decides to go heavily drinking the night before a big deadline when your work isn’t complete?

• Not a cretin

You absolute cretin. Staple it at least twice and make your ‘tight grip’ tighter!

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By ,         on

Tab writers: Where are they now?

They were the ones who insisted they’d stop writing when you stopped reading.

By on

REVIEW: 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche

5 lesbians. 1 quiche. What could go wrong? Almost everything, Dani Cugini discovers, in this hilarious play.

By , Chief Reporter on

The one that got away: An interview with Caggie Dunlop

She doesn’t even watch Made in Chelsea any more

By , Deputy Editor on

I wore an ‘I love consent’ t-shirt on a night out

Consent is sexy

By on

Loughborough The struggles of being a tall girl

Groups shots are a nightmare

By on

London Where should you live in North London?

We tried to contact South London but the expeditionary team never returned

By , Contributing Editor on

How much noise should boys make in bed?

Say your own name over and over again, obviously

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it