The Source

EMMA WILKINSON thinks there are truly delightful scenes in this film but never has the word ‘moist’ been used so much and so out of place

Directed by Radu Mihaileanu

[rating:2/5]

The Source follows the progress of Leila, a young woman in a remote desert village. She battles against the obstinate male figureheads, who insist that it’s the women’s duty to make the dangerous daily journey to fetch water. But what begins as an engaging account of a pioneering woman’s struggle to overturn the lazy patriarchal set-up of her village meanders into a vaguely monotonous account of rural life. Although the sense of a struggle is never lost, the focus passes swiftly between Leila’s own struggle, that of the village as a whole and, in the end, that of the audience.

On a personal level and larger scale, the women’s conflicts with their husbands were very emotionally-wrought and well-conveyed. Broaching gender equality on such a wide-ranging scale was quite a bold move, however, and a narrower focus might have given the film a firmer grounding. While the initial problem of water-fetching seems a simple enough agenda, Mihaileanu complicates his story by encompassing tradition, religion and familial problems in a range of interweaving subplots.

Contributing to the restlessness of the film is the influence of several parallel problems. As is evident in the division of their social groups, the village is reaching a fork in the road between its own traditions and urbanisation. Although this dilemma was deftly evoked, the hipster glasses worn by the microbiologist were perhaps one step too far. Much of the integrity of a home-grown fight against the system starts to crumble when a mysterious lover swoops in. His inevitable perpetual infatuation with Leila is the catalyst for the neat solution to all their problems – and not their commitment to the cause.

Somewhere amongst the vast web of woes and tribulations, however, are smatterings of truly delightful scenes. Sister Rifle is a supreme force of nature, and it is almost worth watching The Source purely to see an older woman of questionable sanity plodding through the desert on a donkey whilst nagging her son on her mobile.

What remains unsatisfying about The Source is the feeling that this could have been a soulful, ground-breaking film. As it is, there are certainly heart-warming moments and some exquisitely funny lines, but the powerful resolution isn’t there. Worth the ticket price alone, however, are the unrelentingly literal translations of the songs. Never has the word ‘moist’ been used so much and so out of place.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otk93-VF49g

• Article Critic

MOIST

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Tab Tries: Craigslist

Craigslist is a strange and magical place. Just in time for May Week, have The Tab found the solution to your pathetically bad love life?

What should your college disaffiliate from?

What should students turn their lack-of-disaffiliation anger towards?

, Assistant Editor

That ‘cube personality test’ everyone is sharing is actually a pickup artist scam

It won’t tell you anything about yourself

, Editor, The Tab Brookes

Rhodes Must Fall founder has received ‘a flow of death threats’

The university had to step in to discuss his health and safety

Your old Beauty and the Beast VHS could be worth £800

Bet you gave it to a charity shop years ago

Brummie is the ugliest accent in the UK

Over 8,000 of you voted in our poll

, Cardiff Editor at The Tab

I asked my friends why they think I’m single

Some were brutal

The NUS black students’ conference have voted to ban prisons

The motion was called ‘Prisons are Obsolete! Abolish Them Now!’