The Source

EMMA WILKINSON thinks there are truly delightful scenes in this film but never has the word ‘moist’ been used so much and so out of place

Directed by Radu Mihaileanu

[rating:2/5]

The Source follows the progress of Leila, a young woman in a remote desert village. She battles against the obstinate male figureheads, who insist that it’s the women’s duty to make the dangerous daily journey to fetch water. But what begins as an engaging account of a pioneering woman’s struggle to overturn the lazy patriarchal set-up of her village meanders into a vaguely monotonous account of rural life. Although the sense of a struggle is never lost, the focus passes swiftly between Leila’s own struggle, that of the village as a whole and, in the end, that of the audience.

On a personal level and larger scale, the women’s conflicts with their husbands were very emotionally-wrought and well-conveyed. Broaching gender equality on such a wide-ranging scale was quite a bold move, however, and a narrower focus might have given the film a firmer grounding. While the initial problem of water-fetching seems a simple enough agenda, Mihaileanu complicates his story by encompassing tradition, religion and familial problems in a range of interweaving subplots.

Contributing to the restlessness of the film is the influence of several parallel problems. As is evident in the division of their social groups, the village is reaching a fork in the road between its own traditions and urbanisation. Although this dilemma was deftly evoked, the hipster glasses worn by the microbiologist were perhaps one step too far. Much of the integrity of a home-grown fight against the system starts to crumble when a mysterious lover swoops in. His inevitable perpetual infatuation with Leila is the catalyst for the neat solution to all their problems – and not their commitment to the cause.

Somewhere amongst the vast web of woes and tribulations, however, are smatterings of truly delightful scenes. Sister Rifle is a supreme force of nature, and it is almost worth watching The Source purely to see an older woman of questionable sanity plodding through the desert on a donkey whilst nagging her son on her mobile.

What remains unsatisfying about The Source is the feeling that this could have been a soulful, ground-breaking film. As it is, there are certainly heart-warming moments and some exquisitely funny lines, but the powerful resolution isn’t there. Worth the ticket price alone, however, are the unrelentingly literal translations of the songs. Never has the word ‘moist’ been used so much and so out of place.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otk93-VF49g

• Article Critic

MOIST

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Oxford votes YES to a disaffiliation referendum

OUSU decides to put NUS disaffiliation to a vote while the CUSU referendum decision will be made next week.

Which Pokémon is your college?

Find out if your college is the very best, like no one ever was…

“Friends with benefits” means nothing

The ‘friends’ part is unnecessary. The ‘benefits’ part is disappointing.

, Bristol Editor of The Tab

Capitalism is dying – and we’re all becoming socialists

51 per cent of millennials ‘do not support’ it

QUIZ: How vain are you?

Bet you think this quiz is about you

, Editor of The Tab London

Staggering results show three-quarters of students want to leave the NUS

According to a Tab poll of 6,500 people

, National Editor

There’s going to be an investigation into sexist advertising

Reaction to the Protein World ads highlighted a need for change

,        

We’ve found the best alternatives to Naked palettes

Who wants to pay £38.50 for eyeshadow?

and

What trainers should you be wearing?

Take our quiz to find out