JCR Prez Well Hung

Selwyn has passed a motion to ‘venerate’ its JCR president.

glen pearse hall of fame JCR jeremy cribb Josh Dickins photo portrait Selwyn tom bell

Selwyn has decided to hang an official portrait of its JCR President to help students know who he is.

In a motion described as “simultaneously glorious and ridiculous” by Selwyn rugby captain, Jeremy Cribb, framed presidential photographs will be hung in a “hall of fame” in the college common room. Selwyn appears to be the first college to take this kind of photo opportunity.

The “Selwyn JCR Veneration of the President Policy” passed with 47% in favour of the scheme in an online vote. Current President, Glen Pearse, said that the policy was part of a larger incentive to encourage undergrads to take more of an interest in the workings of the JCR.

Super Prez: The Venerable Glen Pearse

“In a lot of colleges including Selwyn, people tend to know very little about the JCR unless they’ve been personally involved or have a real interest in student politics,” said Pearse. “This policy was just another way of getting people to notice the JCR and realise that despite our serious work, we do actually have a sense of humour” he added.

Speaking of the policy’s grand title, Pearse pointed out that “of course we’re not suggesting that Presidents should actually be worshipped, but the name was designed to make people curious and I think it achieved that.”

The reaction to the happy snap has been positive. First year Tom Bell said that the pic was “part of making the JCR committee more integrated. The JCR is part of the college community as a whole and it’s important that people know who the President is”.

It is understood that Pearse’s first portrait “won’t be a particularly serious picture”.