Dark Shadows

By on

MAX ZEH this Dark Shadows is a Tim Burton film, but that's it.

Directed by Tim Burton

The films of Tim Burton show a strange mix of the unique and the recycled. His latest film, Dark Shadows, an adaption of a US horror soap, is a prime example.

The film tells the story of Barnabas Collins (Johnny Depp), the heir of a rich trading family from the 18th century who has been cursed by the witch Angelique (Eva Green) after rejecting her love. She killed his parents and his fiancĂ©e, and drove the business into ruins. And, as if that wasn’t enough, she turned him into a vampire and made the townsfolk bury him alive. After 200 years, Barnabas is dug out to find himself in the 1970s, confronted with his ancestors and Angelique, who controls the New England town of Collinsport (which his family built).

Leaving any gaps and questionable turns in the plot aside, of which the film has many, it is unmistakably the work of Tim Burton. The typical colour tones, meticulous production design and the beautifully filmed, or in this case more likely animated, scenery all bear his stamp. The performance by Johnny Depp is good, but basically the same as every other one he has produced in Tim Burton films. Even though all of the characters he plays are very different in theory, they all seem the same due to the offbeat awkwardness. The film has a nice creepy tone, great camera slides and the aforementioned fantastically detailed sets, but it isn’t enough. The pale colours highlighting reds is striking, but, as with much else in the film, has been seen before over and over again. Also, Helena Bonham Carter is in it. Surprise!

All in all, it seems as Tim Burton has exhausted his inspiration. It is strange how despite a great variety of stories, which his choice of projects doubtlessly displays, he manages to make the films all look and feel exactly the same, and not in a good way. Maybe he should use some new actors for a change. He has to choose whether he is interested in beautiful sets and Johnny Depp, or in inventive cinema. Fans of Burton’s style might like the film, for others it will remain a damp squib.

• Lance Hardwood

I think that your name is very cool.

• Dieudonne Munyabarenzi

When was the last time anyone saw our esteemed vice chancellor.
    nevermind, i have contacted Chomsky and zizek.
    Lets see whats happens when warwick business schoool goes against people with brains.,
    You have been warned

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Police crash Peterhouse JCR Christmas Party after drunk fresher smashes window

They asked people to come forward or they would personally inspect everyone

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s more important: Face or body?

Pretty face, average bod > average face, fit bod

By and on

What is the best all-girls school in the country?

‘Millie can I borrow a tampon?’

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat