Dark Shadows

MAX ZEH this Dark Shadows is a Tim Burton film, but that's it.

Directed by Tim Burton

[rating:2/5]

The films of Tim Burton show a strange mix of the unique and the recycled. His latest film, Dark Shadows, an adaption of a US horror soap, is a prime example.

The film tells the story of Barnabas Collins (Johnny Depp), the heir of a rich trading family from the 18th century who has been cursed by the witch Angelique (Eva Green) after rejecting her love. She killed his parents and his fiancĂ©e, and drove the business into ruins. And, as if that wasn’t enough, she turned him into a vampire and made the townsfolk bury him alive. After 200 years, Barnabas is dug out to find himself in the 1970s, confronted with his ancestors and Angelique, who controls the New England town of Collinsport (which his family built).

Leaving any gaps and questionable turns in the plot aside, of which the film has many, it is unmistakably the work of Tim Burton. The typical colour tones, meticulous production design and the beautifully filmed, or in this case more likely animated, scenery all bear his stamp. The performance by Johnny Depp is good, but basically the same as every other one he has produced in Tim Burton films. Even though all of the characters he plays are very different in theory, they all seem the same due to the offbeat awkwardness. The film has a nice creepy tone, great camera slides and the aforementioned fantastically detailed sets, but it isn’t enough. The pale colours highlighting reds is striking, but, as with much else in the film, has been seen before over and over again. Also, Helena Bonham Carter is in it. Surprise!

All in all, it seems as Tim Burton has exhausted his inspiration. It is strange how despite a great variety of stories, which his choice of projects doubtlessly displays, he manages to make the films all look and feel exactly the same, and not in a good way. Maybe he should use some new actors for a change. He has to choose whether he is interested in beautiful sets and Johnny Depp, or in inventive cinema. Fans of Burton’s style might like the film, for others it will remain a damp squib.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isjg9O7ifwM

• Lance Hardwood

I think that your name is very cool.

Heard something newsworthy?

and

The mafia is opening its ranks: FEATURES EDITOR

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

, Cambridge Editor

Tab’s BIGGEST BNOCs: Special Mentions + Top 50

We promise to stop milking this stupid idea after this article. Really.

Everything you’ll understand if you don’t like football

What is an accumulator and how do I get my hands on one?

and

The undiscovered genius of tapered tracksuit trousers

It’s like your legs are the wafer in a Kit Kat

Netflix has announced release dates for several big shows

House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are coming back

Valentine’s with your BFF is much better

People are calling it Galentine’s

, Chief Reporter

How to blag your way through the Super Bowl, according to a proper American

‘The thing about Denver Broncos is they always try and walk it in’

, Features Editor

What’s the best month to have your birthday?

It’s your princess day