UPDATE: Bomb Scares At Girton And Churchill

Two more bombs scares today leave students frustrated and concerned.

UPDATE: 

A further bomb scare occurred at Downing today.

No-one was evacuated, but the gates were locked and students advised to remain alert. The atmosphere was generally calm.

———————

UPDATE: 

There have been two more bomb scares this afternoon, at Girton and Churchill. 

Students working in Girton library were told that the University received an email this morning naming Girton as a college that has been targeted by the hoax.

“We were advised to take our bags with us when we leave the library, and the librarians keep wandering around doing checks. But no one’s at all concerned,” said Sophie Cavanagh, a third year Girton geographer.

Students at other colleges have been emailed evacuation plans, should the situation develop.

More details to follow.

If you hear any more information, please email news@cambridgetab.co.uk

———————

UPDATE: 

There has a been a third bomb scare in three days, with King’s evacuated this morning.

Shortly after 9am this morning the university security centre received a call claiming to have planted a bomb inside King’s, but after an evacuation and 45 minutes of searching students and staff were allowed to return after nothing was found, and police confirmed it was being treated as a hoax.

Speaking to The Tab the university said: “No devices were found. No members of the public were on site at the time as King’s Chapel has not opened for the day yet”.

The University Communications officer did admit that a link seemed “likely” between the three events but that it was a matter for the police.

A police spokesman told us that the threat was thought to be part of a series of national hoaxes and told us they were ‘not too worried’: “This is being investigated as part of a series of hoaxes and students should not be concerned.”

Eva Nisse, a first year PPS student at Kings, told The Tab the mood was generally one of indifference.  ‘The main question on everyone’s minds was “Is this the usual fire alarm and when can I get back to my toast?”‘

———————

UPDATE: 

Speaking to The Tab, University Communications Officer Tim Holt confirmed that the bomb scare at Clare was a hoax after a full security sweep was conducted.

———————

UPDATE:

All sites at Clare have now been reoccupied. In an email to all Clare students, steward Mick Petty explained: “the perceived threat was reported to the authorities at Clare by the University Security Control Centre who had received email traffic indicating a security threat to both Clare College and Hughes Hall”.

———————

UPDATE:

Clare College has been evacuated following a bomb scare on all three of its sites at around 11am this morning. Residents of the Colony on Chesterton Lane have been evacuated to Jesus Green whilst those in Old Court have been directed to the Fellows’ Garden.

———————

UPDATE:

Students have been emailed informing them that they are now allowed back into the site. Melissa Reilly, the Teaching Administrator said in the email that ‘the site is now open and freely accessible.’

———————

The New Museums Site has been evacuated after a bomb hoax in the CUSU offices.

The Tab spoke to Clare second year, David Byrne. “The general mood was one of concern but not fear. People seemed more annoyed than afraid. Most people thought it was probably a hoax – a Trenton-Oldfield-style disruption to studies.”

Thirty people were evacuated from the Old Examination Hall and the Earth Science Laboratory at 2pm in a hoax that mimicked the spree of scares from other Russell Group universities.

@TabCambridge
  • hoax

hoax   /ho?ks/ Show Spelled[hohks] Show IPA
    noun
    1. something intended to deceive or defraud: The Piltdown man was a scientific hoax.

Before it's actually been proven fake, it's a scare not a hoax

• Homertonian

Wey am feeling pretty safe here at Homerton…

• thank god

for someone else managing to make the same joke 5 comments ago…

• Should have looked

True story.

• also homertonian

hey WHY would you do this? look what happened to girton! they'll be coming back the other way, no doubt.

• Bin Laden

We wouldn't waste our bombs on the likes of you.

• i knew it

you are still alive

• Bin Laden

It'll take more than Seal Team Six to stop me!

• Bored?

As long as they don't they don't use the firm alarm in a bomb drill causing the internet to shut down then it's sweet. I could do with some excitement.

• Untraceable

So worried at the fact that they're unable to trace the e-mails… :/

• anon

well i doubt the perpetrator is using their hermes account

• update

there was a bomb scare in the geography department at the beginning of term …

• J.W.

If it comes down to it, Churchill can be our Coventry, so as not to give away that we've found them out.

• La Roux

The Department of Chemical Engineering didn't feel the need to evacuate for some poxy hoax…

#bulletproof

• Al MacFarlane

hey guys make sure you check out my new music video! This one is for all the fans that have supported me throughout my career. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JldTIJZfxYQ

• Dum dum duuuuuum

Maybe all these hoaxes are to lower our defenses for when the real bomb happens. That would be a dastardly scheme.

• ehhhh

how would that work, exactly? they're going to be more on guard than if nobody had mentioned it, surely?

if you wanted to catch people off guard, you could just not tell them. unless the plan is to do it so much that people stop reacting, and then do an actual bomb, and it would show how hubristic we are.

• i am concerned

In the thing they sent around our college, it said they'd been warned about the possibility of this by the police. NOW, isn't it a bit worrying that they didn't tell us? And tehy don't seem very forthcoming with the content of the emails, etc. I'm worried. WORRIED I tell you.

• Me too

Who's 'tehy'?

• Pingback: parajumpers kodiak sage()

• Pingback: air max 90 pas cher()

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Cambridge Editor

Could you be the next Tab mafia boss?

We’re recruiting Senior Editors for Michaelmas 2016

How to be a creeper

To bae or not to bae

Cambridge nightlife is changing for the better

From Strawberries and Creem to renting out pub basements: the possibilities are limitless.

, Assistant Editor

Putlocker has been blocked by internet service providers

Goodbye, old friend

Your gym leggings might be causing you health problems

At least they make you look cool

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Can you guess whether these people are pro-Brexit?

See if they’re innies or outies based on their outfit

Can you guess the price of these Waitrose ‘Essentials’?

You paid how much for Ardennes Pâté?

, Argument Editor

Forget London, I’m moving to Bath

It’s better in every single way