All Style and Pa-Nash

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

George Nash tells HUGH CARSON how training for the Olympics is easier than being a Cambridge Blue.

After racing for the team that lost the 2011 Boat Race, George Nash decided that wasn’t enough. Taking a year out, he decided to trial for the Great British team. He now returns to Cambridge in October to captain CUBC, but not before competing in the 2012 Olympics.

Congratulations on your recent election, how does it feel to be returning to the Boat Race?

It feels pretty exciting to come back for one more crack at the boat race, it’s a unique rowing race and one that I’m hugely honoured to have been a part of. The last one I raced I lost so I see next year as a great opportunity to put that right. I also have a solid appreciation of Cambridge life having taken a year away from it, so it’s amazing to be able to return to the University.

Speaking of 2011, how was it teaming up with your former opponent Louloudis so soon after the race?
Teaming up with Constantine was slightly awkward initially, but we rowed together the previous summer and are pretty good mates so it wasn’t a huge deal. We had a fantastic summer season last year and have both ended up on the Olympic team this year, so it worked out pretty well.

You recently won Silver at the World Cup in Belgrade, how’s the preparation going for the Olympics?
I’m rowing with Will Satch at the moment in the pair and we’ve been putting in some hard yards recently. We had a great race in Belgrade, but there are a few really fast pairs that weren’t there who will be at the next race in Lucerne. We’re trying as hard as we can to raise our game every day to step up to the challenge.

George Nash – Winning

How’s it been rowing in a squad of characters like Greg Searle?
There are a lot of interesting characters on the team all bringing something slightly different to the table. Greg was rowing in an era when British rowing wasn’t anywhere near the kind of well drilled machine it is now so he brings a lot of positive vibes to the group when the program gets tough. For the most part though, the social dynamic is similar to that of a group of chimpanzees to be honest.

Which do you think is harder: rowing in the GB squad or balancing Blues with your degree?
I think I found balancing Cambridge rowing with a degree was significantly harder than rowing full time. I put in similar training hours at the moment to what the guys do in Cambridge but in between I nap and eat cookies and watch telly instead of stressing out over academic deadlines and trying to stay awake in lectures.

Do you reckon you’ll trial again when you finish your time at Cambridge?
Full time rowing is about having the motivation and desire to physically and mentally better yourself. As long as I have that I will carry on.

Facebook Twitter
  • Treats M

In Cambridge I nap and eat cookies and watch telly as well as stressing out over academic deadlines and trying to stay awake in lectures.

• Ian Minto

as well as attending my infamous parties

• What a load of…

sensible, interesting and down-to-earth answers. A nice man I think,

• Nice

but maybe a tad boring?

• e cigs

good luck with olympics

• Dietician

From my experience, cookies will not provide the ideal nutrient-energy combination for Olympic rowing. I recommend soy milk with chicken breasts and acai berries. Best of luck in your training.

• Zoology

Chimpanzees have very complex social dynamics

• Shlu

I'm a blue in pool 2nds!

The Tab is a network of 60 university news sites with thousands of student reporters

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Better ways to spend your union membership fee

The Cambridge Union: a place where the paninis are cheap, the ceilings are high and the cost of membership could probably buy you a ranch in Ecuador.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

TONIGHT: The first Turf of term!

You deserve a night out after your lectures today.

By , Deputy Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

Gonville and Knees Up: Caius bop cancelled after raucous night out

Caius’ Freshers’ Bop this Saturday has been cancelled after “a large number of complaints and incidents last night”.

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’

By , Chief Reporter on

Meet the top Tory students who are set to take over the country

They wear suits to lectures and own framed photos of Margaret Thatcher

By , Chief Reporter on

Drunk student Tory spends £311 on an Uber from Manchester to London

He claims he put in the wrong address

By , Chief Reporter on

Eton had a dubstep society and they ‘tore up filthy sets’ in every meeting

They even spelled it ‘dub step’

By , Chief Reporter on

Diversity Officer charged for racist ‘kill all white men’ Tweet

She also banned white men from an equality event

By , Chief Reporter on

University Challenge sphincter preservation is ‘no laughing matter’

Contestant’s course leader says it’s not funny