Careless Whispers

Library Whispers shuts down after cases of cyber-bullying.

Anonymous site Library Whispers has today been shut down after “bullying and aggressive messages” from a “large number of individuals”.

The site has seen occasional offensive comments since its inception last year, but these have escalated recently causing founder Oliver Rees to close it down.

A statement on the site claimed that “it has turned into a forum of hate” and claimed that “the decision to close the site was taken before anything really bad happened”.

One regular user told The Tab that there were the occasional sexist comments which turned nasty, and that things had been getting worse recently.

Library Whispers was “started to give people the opportunity to break the boring revision period with a bit of interest”, and has for the most part been an interesting and diverting place to procrastinate.

Oliver Rees had no further comment other than that he was focusing a on a new project, We Are Cambridge.

End of an era: the page today

One user reacted to its closure with a Facebook status saying “Library whisperers is no more =(. Going to have to make do with listening into grad whispers in the real library. Nightmare.”

Clare mathmo Juan Ojeja told The Tab that the site’s anonymity, one of its selling points, made its demise inevitable: “anonymity incites bullying as you can completely disregard consequences, it gives people a sense of power to completely trash someone who perhaps they’ve never met.”

But it isn’t all bad news. Adam Gray, second year muso from Selwyn, said ‘I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if there was a noticeable improvement in exam results this year.’

It seems Cambridge students will have to find a new way to gossip and procrastinate in the run-up to exams.

@Jonny_Singer
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

What should your college disaffiliate from?

What should students turn their lack-of-disaffiliation anger towards?

Clean Bandit to DJ at Jesus May Ball

No place we’d rather be.

and

Tab Guide to filling the post-exam void

If you have yet to finish your exams, lol.

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Made In Chelsea has gone to the dogs

For God’s sake, will you maintain a modicum of decorum?

, Assistant Editor

Music festivals on terror alert

Nightclubs and festivals are both at risk of Isis suicide attacks

, Features Editor

Everything Mizz magazine taught us about life in our twenties

Mum thought Sugar and Bliss were too sexy

Review: The best supermarket gin and tonic tins

Because there’s more to life than Gordon’s

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’