What a Duck-up!

Cam Conservators have been accused of attacking sitting ducks.

Cam conservators have angered animal welfare activists yet again after ducklings were killed by a lawnmower.

In preparation for May Bumps, the flagship college rowing event of the year, the banks of the Cam were mowed this week.

However, it is alleged that there was no consideration of animals’ nesting season, resulting in the death of at least one family of ducks, the remains of which were found on the riverbank.

This comes in the same week as rowers have been attacked from national animal rights groups and anarchists alike over the treatment of Mr ASBO.

The RSPCA reacted with ‘disappointment’ to this ducking of responsibility. A statement said “We are very surprised and disappointed that they have shown that degree of ignorance in mowing the verges in the middle of breeding season.”

Cute. But will it blend?

And Cam Conservators, who are responsible for the river’s well-being and have recently been described as being ‘in the pockets’ of rowers, will not have assuaged doubts with their response.

They told the press, “It was not intentional. I’m sure that the contractors next time will be more careful.”

Students seem genuinely angered by the blunder, with an anonymous duck enthusiast telling The Tab that she was fed up of the wise-quacking Conservators. “The trauma experienced by the duck community is an unacceptable side effect of the rowing obsession,” she continued.

Second year Engineer James Sheldon was also critical, telling The Tab, “It’s not really OK to kill animals just so boaties can have some fun. Especially if they’re cute and fluffy.”

@Jonny_Singer
  • Trinitarian

Yum yum. We're going to have duck confit for the next week!

• Dolan Duck

Gooby plz.

• IT'S SO FLUFFY

I'M GONNA DIE!

• Real Avenger

It's fine. I rescued 12 ducks from Parkers Piece the other day.

• Idea

Will it mow could definitely catch on

• Ducktivist

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?!?!?!?

• Eugene Geidelberg

I did my Part II Zoology project on ducks and I can confirm that being lawnmowered is not adaptive.

• Naturist

Has anyone noticed how long the grass is getting? Bumps is another 2 and a half weeks away…

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

What should your college disaffiliate from?

What should students turn their lack-of-disaffiliation anger towards?

Clean Bandit to DJ at Jesus May Ball

No place we’d rather be.

and

Tab Guide to filling the post-exam void

If you have yet to finish your exams, lol.

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Made In Chelsea has gone to the dogs

For God’s sake, will you maintain a modicum of decorum?

, Assistant Editor

Music festivals on terror alert

Nightclubs and festivals are both at risk of Isis suicide attacks

, Features Editor

Everything Mizz magazine taught us about life in our twenties

Mum thought Sugar and Bliss were too sexy

Review: The best supermarket gin and tonic tins

Because there’s more to life than Gordon’s

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’