By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

KIERAN CORCORAN out of the funniest funnymen that there are amongst funny people, the one who was supposed to be the funniest of the funniest funnymen was the least funny of the funniest funnymen.

ADC Theatre, 9-12th June, 11pm, £4-6

[rating: 4/5]

Cambridge’s best comics are stand-ups, and these are our best stand-ups. Sketches seem to come more easily to tripos-trained Footlight brains, but the confidence and quality of stand-up in general, and Non-Smoker in particular, win every time.

So why don’t the best people at the best thing CamComedy does get the big 5? Basically because Ahir Shah’s set featured barely any new material, which made it a bit of a drag for anybody who’s seen him before. The rest was great though.

In total contrast to Shah, Pierre Novellie was unfailingly fresh and spontaneous. Compère sans compare, and master of working an audience, he failed wonderfully in his self-appointed task not upstaging his fellow comics. The South African funnyman did spend a lot of time on the kind of nationality-based humour which can come across as a bit lazy, but given the cosmopolitan lemons provided by last night’s front row, he made riotous comedy lemonade.

Ali Lewis was, as ever, a potent mash-up of casual delivery and quickfire punchlines. Longer routines still peppered their build-ups with punnage along the way, and had a good dose of absurdity without being ridiculous. Angry Birds-based gags struck particularly close to the heart.

Charmingly, each night has a different special guest to fill the middle slot, like a mystery comedy sandwich. Lowell Belfield was Wednesday’s filling. I can’t remember a single thing he said, but his shuffly, hyper-awkward delivery makes practically anything funny. Of course, he won’t be there any other nights, but if the other guests measure up to him then there will be nothing to worry about.

Back to Shah. I reviewed the majority of his set here seven months ago, when I liked it a lot. It’s to his credit that he still made me laugh a bit with the same jokes, but I wasn’t alone in having expected more from the headline act. If you’ve never seen him before then this obviously doesn’t matter, but – bizarrely – if you’re already a fan you might be better off giving it a miss.

Non-Smoker is the product of three student comics at the natural conclusion of their university careers – in terms of confidence and professionalism in the ADC, this is the peak. It is therefore a sound investment of your exam term dollar, which, despite a disappointing headliner, is still a much better idea than spending the midnight hours weeping in the college library.

Facebook Twitter
  • yay

Kieran Corcoran has given something more than 3 stars!

• Admirer of his style

Keiran Corcoran writes very pleasingly.

• Bounder
  • e cigarettes

the first thing that the pure electronic cigarette has going for it is the price. The cartridges only cost $2.50 a piece and are the equivalent to about 20 cigarettes

• Hmmm

The majority of Shah's material was brand new. If you're going to make such a claim, please ensure it is factually correct.

• balls

balls was it brand new. I don't even remember when I saw Shah perform and a load of it still rang bells

• Actually

Cambridge's best comics are tab commenters.

• TPJ

'nuff said.

• Average

Saw it on thursday and thought Shah was a funny guy, but let down by painfully unfunny material. His set dragged on and on, ending with a personal story of his grandmother being deported by john major's government that descended into just insulting the conservatives. Pierre was thebest, but Jamie matheson ( the guest) was also good.

• Unsure

about the level of arse-licking going on here.

• Just got it!

The title has two meanings!

• QueenBee

I think everyone is relieved Rachel Donald didn’t win. Definitely doing it for personal gain, not for the student body. Arrogant. Untalented. Self indulgent.

• The Tab Aberdeen

I’ll take arrogant and self-indulgent, but untalented? Have you been living under a rock?

Heard something on campus?

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

An interview with The Footlights

The Tab sits down with tour show director Ken Cheng and performers Adrian Gray, Archie Henderson and Eleanor Colville to talk about freshers, being funny and their new show.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Let’s face it, Freshers’ week is overrated.

In all honesty, most of us finish the week with the flu rather than with friends.

By , Features Editor on

Third years sued for unpaid rent after leaving when their housemate died

They were too traumatised to return

By , Chief Reporter on

UCAS head who called private school kids boring clones sent her kids to…private schools

They went to Westminster, Latymer and Haileybury College

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By on

Belfast BPOC: I spent my student loan on a miniature schnauzer

The fluffy little idiot cost £450

By , Nottingham News Editor of The Tab on

Nottingham Second years left homeless after tumble dryer fire destroys their kitchen

They might have to go back to Broadgate