Cambridge Student Arrested in Exam Scam Sham

By on

Facebook Twitter

A student at Darwin is in the slammer for helping immigrants cheat their way into the county.

A Master’s student from Darwin has been arrested after sitting English language exams for cash in an immigration related scam.

Junhua Yu, who was studying for an MPhil in architecture, has been jailed for 12 months for his actions.

Yu posed as a series of different Chinese nationals using fake passports and sat exams on their behalf as part of a scam to sneak them into the UK. The exams were to help young Chinese people secure student visas.

Police caught Yu on March 10 this year sitting an English language exam with a fake passport. After a search of Yu’s Darwin House accommodation it turned out that Yu was in the possession of six passports bearing his photographs but with different names.

Yu was sentenced in Cambridge Crown court after pleading guilty to charges of possessing false documents and conspiracy to break UK immigration law.

Yu, who was apparently a brilliant student, had no other criminal record and now faces deportation to China after his sentence.

6 fake passports were found in a shoebox in Darwin accommodation

The student got involved in the scam after being sent an internet link by a group of conspirators who targeted cash-strapped students of Chinese descent. The Tab has learned that those operating the ring have been arrested.

Moiez Farhan, an overseas student completing a masters’ in law, said Yu’s actions were ‘clearly wrong’. However, a Robinson postgrad from overseas sympathised with the difficulties foreign postgraduates face trying to make ends meet.

It is becoming increasingly difficult for foreign students to study in Britain, despite the fact that they contribute between £5bn and £8bn to the UK economy each year. New rules on student visas include tougher English language requirements and limits on the number of dependents allowed for those taking short courses.

The news of Yu’s arrest comes only a week after the Tab reported that Chinese students were paying up to £100,000 for educational consultants to help them get into Oxbridge.

Facebook Twitter
  • Headline_Judge

Was that really the best headline you could come up with, given this guy's surname?

How about:
    "Does this passport belong to Yu?"
    "Will Yu do my exam for me?"
    An unYusual source of funding
    Darwin's theory of evolYution

• Headline Judge Judge

Was actually quite a good, if concise, and well informed article I thought. But by all means focus on the lack of puns in the fucking headline.

• Reality check

Because we all read the tab for good, well informed articles

• Not sure…

but is that racist?

• TabEditor

Applications to

• Russell Wilson

With love, from me to Yu.

• Matt Burke

Fuck Yu

• Burke

Baby Yu light up my world like nobody else

• I feel for Yu

I feel really sorry for him, 12 months in prison is harsh in my opinion.

• Bounder

nothing wrong with being 'creative' in dealing with exams:

• Borderline Racism…

Am I the only one who noticed that the author isn't sure if Yu is a man or a woman? To be fair…I can't tell either.

• Eh??

Have you read the article yet?

• Fail

Yu is male. I got that from the second line.

Heard something on campus?

By , Senior Tab reporter on

An interview with The Footlights

The Tab sits down with tour show director Ken Cheng and performers Adrian Gray, Archie Henderson and Eleanor Colville to talk about freshers, being funny and their new show.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Let’s face it, Freshers’ week is overrated.

In all honesty, most of us finish the week with the flu rather than with friends.

By , Tab reporter on

Emily Maitlis has everyone’s dream job

You know you’ve made it when you’re invited back to speak at the Union

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’