Dusk ’till Dawn

Whether walk of shame or stride of pride, look your best with TOMMY SHANE and GRACE FARMILOE's guide to looking fly on the fly.

The only thing worse than hitting one of Cambridge’s sweat-pit-clubs in full formal attire, is performing a walk of shame home in the morning, in full formal attire. The untied bowtie and the heels-in-hands look are, no matter what you might think, hopelessly conspicuous. Save yourself the embarrassment and adapt your formal wear to retain style, elegance – and, above all, a scrap of dignity.

Girls’ formal wear is always going to be more flexible, so choose something that is respectable without being too solemn – this isn’t a ball. A red bowtie with blue braces makes the dinner suit a little more adaptable for the night to come – and remember, think ahead: if you’re aiming for a speedy strip, real bowties come off the quickest.

Wine, heels, stairs – be careful...

The classic formal formula

Pondering where they’ll be spending the night

Doff the heels and don the trainers – nobody wants to muddy their stilettos in the grim puddles outside Life, let alone be seen stumbling around in them the morning after. A Harrison jacket can play down the bowtie, and that tartan inner lining will look great on the bedroom floor next to your strewn red bowtie.

Formally transformed

Steal a jumper, cardy, or whatever you can – you’re essentially faced with a free wardrobe, so make the most of it. This is less easy for boys, so just get rid of the bowtie and braces, and BAM – shuffle back in the early hours or just head straight to your 9 am lectures.

Checking nobody’s looking (but secretly hoping they are)

Absolutely loving it

Models: James Scot and Sarah W

Styling: Tommy Shane and Grace Farmiloe

Photography: Nick Rutter

Clothes: John Lewis

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

and

Tab Guide to filling the post-exam void

If you have yet to finish your exams, lol.

Anglia Ruskin and Hughes Hall clash leads to capsize

Rowing is turned on its head – literally.

QUEXIT: Queens’ JCR Call for referendum on CUSU affiliation

QUEXIT joins PEXIT to call for JCR disaffiliation from CUSU

, Assistant Editor

Music festivals on terror alert

Nightclubs and festivals are both at risk of Isis suicide attacks

, Features Editor

Everything Mizz magazine taught us about life in our twenties

Mum thought Sugar and Bliss were too sexy

Review: The best supermarket gin and tonic tins

Because there’s more to life than Gordon’s

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’

, TabTv producer, The Tab Trent

How to be single

There’s an art to it