Dusk ’till Dawn

Whether walk of shame or stride of pride, look your best with TOMMY SHANE and GRACE FARMILOE's guide to looking fly on the fly.

The only thing worse than hitting one of Cambridge’s sweat-pit-clubs in full formal attire, is performing a walk of shame home in the morning, in full formal attire. The untied bowtie and the heels-in-hands look are, no matter what you might think, hopelessly conspicuous. Save yourself the embarrassment and adapt your formal wear to retain style, elegance – and, above all, a scrap of dignity.

Girls’ formal wear is always going to be more flexible, so choose something that is respectable without being too solemn – this isn’t a ball. A red bowtie with blue braces makes the dinner suit a little more adaptable for the night to come – and remember, think ahead: if you’re aiming for a speedy strip, real bowties come off the quickest.

Wine, heels, stairs – be careful...

The classic formal formula

Pondering where they’ll be spending the night

Doff the heels and don the trainers – nobody wants to muddy their stilettos in the grim puddles outside Life, let alone be seen stumbling around in them the morning after. A Harrison jacket can play down the bowtie, and that tartan inner lining will look great on the bedroom floor next to your strewn red bowtie.

Formally transformed

Steal a jumper, cardy, or whatever you can – you’re essentially faced with a free wardrobe, so make the most of it. This is less easy for boys, so just get rid of the bowtie and braces, and BAM – shuffle back in the early hours or just head straight to your 9 am lectures.

Checking nobody’s looking (but secretly hoping they are)

Absolutely loving it

Models: James Scot and Sarah W

Styling: Tommy Shane and Grace Farmiloe

Photography: Nick Rutter

Clothes: John Lewis

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

SHIT SUBJECT: The Sciences

VOTE NOW: We know, we’ve stretched the definition of ‘Science’ quite far.

So long as anti-Semitism is dismissed, Cambridge cannot endorse the NUS

It’s not right that the voices of thousands of Jewish students across the country are playing second fiddle.

Do we really hate each other?

Are the haters really gonna hate hate hate?

, National Editor

Sadiq Khan ‘has won’ the London mayoral election

It’s basically all wrapped up now

,        

How to pamper yourself after exams

It’s never too soon to start planning

, National Editor

A new study undermines one of Jeremy Hunt’s big arguments for changing junior doctor contracts

‘Extending services is not going to save any more lives’

I went to an outdoor gym and it made me feel like a caveman

You haven’t felt manly till you’ve flipped a truck tyre in Shoreditch

Justin Timberlake has just released the obligatory ‘song of the summer’

You’re going to really hate this in a few months

Oxford University will not expel Rhodes Must Fall founder

42,000 people called for his bursary to be revoked