Underdogs Undress

Tit Hall's waterpolo team can't swim but they can strip. OLIVER GOLDSTEIN reports on their lead up to Cuppers.

One small team are making huge waves in the world of water polo this weekend. The Trinity Hall water polo team has been the cause of much hype recently, with their team photo stunt drawing much female attention from all around Cambridge. One female student claimed that the athletes are “too sexy to be Cambridge students”.

Tit Hall’s Team showing their guns

The team, which has come together in the past months under the captaincy of Matthew Walton (University squad and Jailbreak Winner) are regarded as the underdogs of the competition, which takes place over three days this weekend at the Leys pool.

Group1 Group2 Group3
Christ’s St John’s Clare
Queens’ Magdalene St Catz
Selwyn Jesus Trinity
Caius Emma Tit Hall

The group stages

With the transfer window opened for teams to recruit blues players whose colleges are not entered, Catz and Queens have quickly jumped to the favourites, snaring the Blues Captain 2011/12 Dan Woolcott and Hamish Crichton [Captain 2012/13].

When asked to comment on the negotiations, Woolcott described them as  “intense” and “hilarious”. Trinity Hall, despite losing their bids to capture Hamish, managed to poach 3 players from Pembroke. Josh Hirsh Witz, James Robson and Rob Sanders have all jumped ship. Matt is confident this will ensure their victory.

When Josh H was asked what made him steer clear of the industrial and faceless teams who waved around large budgets in the negotiations he replied, “Water polo is a game about heart and unlike other blues players, who chased lucrative contracts, bright lights, hollow victories and fickle fans, I followed my heart minnows and joined the underGODS.”

Now the pub-based negotiations are over, Trinity Hall looks to be truly shaking the foundations of its rivals, with brand new stash, brand new players, and the uninterrupted drive to win.

We talked to Matt about the intense training his team and the Pembroke three had been enduring in the weeks up to their big games. He said, “I think everyone has pushed themselves to their limits, Josh has been working hard on his throwing ‘Lat’, and most of the team may have completed a press up in their own time. I couldn’t be more impressed with them all.”

When we asked Matt about rumours that their goalkeeper needed arm bands to stay a float he simply replied “please, that’s only when he’s in the deep end, and no other teams will be coming anywhere near our goal in any case.”

Other teams are more sceptical. Owen Waugh, player for John’s and waterpolo blue told The Tab: “I’m sure their pride will be as easy to puncture as their arm bands.”

The cuppers take place, Friday 9-10pm, Saturday 4-5pm, and Sunday 11-12am. I know which team I’ll be rooting for.

• Tom

Great article… Not

• i love

sam levy

• Sipke

me too

• daniel

The middle one with the ball, whats he hiding?

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

The NUS can’t be reformed from within

Do you hate anti-Semitism so much that you want to stay in the NUS and fight against it?

You’re at Cambridge, you know change is slow: Why we must stay affiliated to NUS

I am urging Cambridge students to vote NO to disaffiliation, not because the NUS is perfect, but precisely because it’s not.

Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now: My Revision Period In Smiths Tracks

How a jangly 80s indie band perfectly summed up the revision period

, Cardiff Editor of The Tab

Facebook was right to remove an advert featuring plus-sized model Tess Holliday

Images of significantly overweight women are as damaging as size zero women

,        

What’s the ugliest accent in the UK?

There are so many unpleasant dialects to choose from

,        

57 per cent of graduates would vote to remain in the EU, says new poll

And 14 per cent support leaving

What not to say to someone with depression

No, they can’t just ‘snap out of it’