Bomb Scare Mare: Universities in Bomb Hoaxes

By on

Unis across the country have been hit by bomb scare hoaxes.

Universities across the country were evacuated last week after they were hit with dramatic bomb scares with buildings at Durham, Bristol and UCL among those affected.

Last Monday, an email warning to Bristol read: ‘Two small bombs are hidden in Wills and Durdham Halls. They will explode later today. Take this warning very, very seriously.’ The threats were later believed to be the work of a hoax.

In a co-ordinated attack, Leicester, Essex and Sussex all received similar threats via email. The Metropolitan Police is investigating the motivations behind what appears to be a synchronised hoax at five of the UK’s top universities.

At Durham, the Students’ Union was evacuated, while in Bristol David Cameron’s personal sniffer dogs had to be called to the scene. The PM had been visiting the city earlier that morning.

The reaction in Cambridge has been one of fear mixed with confusion. One Robinson fresher warned The Tab, ‘First Bristol, then Durham, the logical step would to be proceed up the league table to Cambridge’.

In an unrelated incident, students at UCL were also evacuated from exams because of another bomb scare. But in this instance, the bomber’s motives appear to be unrelated to university life.

Unrelated to the uni: UCL’s own bomb scare

And the fears have come the same week as a Cambridge man avoided jail for planting a hoax bomb of his own. Last year, roads had to be closed for 6 hours and some Anglia Ruskin accommodation evacuated when a disgruntled employee placed a homemade fake bomb in his office’s microwave.

The man received a 2 year suspended sentence on Friday.

In the case of the university hoaxes, the perpetrators and their motivation remain unknown and the emails sent to all five institutions have so far proved impossible to trace.

More to follow as cops confirm details.

• Shakalaka

Boom boom!

• Reallly

"The reaction in Cambridge has been one of fear mixed with confusion."

Did anyone actually know this had happened? I sure didn't hear about it.

• curious

Do you know how many Ls "really" has?

• Realllllllllllllllly

Yeah man. I'm not a spazz. It's to add a bit of emphasis. Try saying it the way I spelt.

• disagree

i said it and it sounded like i had downs

• Go

Fuck off to hell. Twat

• Bin Laden

pulling the strings from beyond the grave

• Mr. Tripos

If there was a threat to the UL, just power on through, got to pass exams regardless!

• sfgf

An explosion in the UL could only make it look better…

• tom

Bomb scare at the university of kent today (17.05.12)

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By on

REVIEW: And Then There Were Nuns

Lia Johansen-Villanueva was promised cocktails and an evening of laughter. The team behind And Then There Were Nuns delivered, and even threw in a lovely furry hat.

By on

The Love of the Nightingale and violence against women

Fresher director Eva O’Flynn discusses dealing with themes of rape and abuse of women in theatre on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.

By , Contributing Editor on

How much noise should boys make in bed?

Say your own name over and over again, obviously

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it

By , Chief Reporter on

We be burnin’: Meet the golden boys who tan

Lads trip to the sunbeds anyone?

By , Features Editor on

How to come out to your parents

‘My mum hung up on me when I told her I was gay and didn’t call back for 45 minutes’

By , Features Editor on

What club photographers really think of you

A lot of editing goes into that squad Facebook photo

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s the meanest thing anyone’s ever done to you?

Everything is funny when it happens to someone else