Golden Girls

TOM RASMUSSEN is inspired by The Union's Japanese festival in this week's Eastern fashion shoot.

Japanese fashion has hit the industry hard this year!

Looking to the East for inspiration we see clean lines, beautiful fabrics, glowing colours and wild patterns. With so much variety in Japanese fashion you can go street, Lolita, or even traditional. With the Union’s Golden Festival this week – a celebration of Japanese culture raising money for tsunami victims – we thought we’d give you a sneak peak at the exciting things they’ve got in store for you.

Check out this week’s shoot for some international style inspiration, and see the Facebook event for more information about the festival.

Buy tickets for the Golden Festival Party here: www.cus.org/yozakura-party.

Styling: Tom Rasmussen

Photography: Eliska Hascovkova

Kimonos: Lyuba Johnson Kimonos

Evening Dresses: Bethany Kelman

• a bit extreme?

6th photo down – you really think that's how we should all be dressing? just seems more fancy dress than street style.

• Satan

It's not street style you chode.

• Time and a place

They're worn for festivals and other special occasions. It's different yes, but would you accuse someone wearing a kilt of being in fancy dress?

• St George

Yes.

• Kaishin

That type of kimono is more for traditional wear rather than street style. However lolita is a street style that is popular around the Harajuku. Harajuku is home to all kinds of fantastic styles, and you can even check Wikipedia's article to find out more about them.

• Lyuba

Actually this type of kimono styling is as far away from traditional kimono as can be, because traditionally kimono is not worn with western accessories and boots, nor is it worn that short.

• Kaishin

My bad, listen to the kimono expert.

• Surprised…

that you got to the 6th photo down before asking that question. I don't think any of these will catch on in Cambridge, with the possible exception of the long flowery dresses…

• fan

9th photo down. great in every way.

• I just want to stand

on that window ledge and watch the world too.

• GlitterBoobs

lovely pictures, nice venue idea, go Tom x

• 5th photo down

Clothes – Model's own?

• Kaishin

Nope, mine. I haven't identified the origin of the sleeveless jacket (bought it in Camden), but the trousers are from Unplugged Museum. Shoes are Tom's.

• Juanker

Hahaha Juan has to wear platform shoes because he's a little man

• confused

he looks like a cartoon character but i can't put my finger on who. anyone get my drift?

• just

juan photo?

• Christina

I dress like that all the time! Any kimono enthusiast does =D

• VON ZAP

WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU IN YOUR KIMONO PLEASE

• Elle

Not loving the photography here but there's some interesting style statements Tom. Look forward to seeing more at the festival!

• I'v

Pleasantly quirky styling but the dodgy contrast is killing these photos for me. To be honest i think a lot of the fashion feature photography is lacking. Is Eliska seriously the only fashion photographer the Tab has…?

• Harri

I don't think it's only the contrast though…the colour's way off. Everything has a blue cast. Either the camera's white balance hasn't been set right or someone has been having some fun in Photoshop.

It's really obvious when you see it next to a copy that's been corrected:
      http://imgshare.org/images/90927847426883892533.p

• Elle

God! Look at the difference…love the impact of the second one. Wow.

• JJacob

LOL…Maybe this person should be doing the Tab fashion photography :p

• mole

FIT

• the other Japanese woman in Tom’s life

This photoshoot KILLLLLS IT. So hard to do Japanese-themed shoots without being cringy, this is so edgy and the photography/post production is amazing. Really brings out the colours. WELL DONE TOM + ELISKA, the new ANNA and GRACE x

• ..fgh

this is so bad

• Number 5…

Is definitely not a girl, let alone golden. I am dissapoint

• Harri

Love the composition of #2, I just wish there has been a tiny bit more attention to detail so that the wall in the top right could have been excluded!

Otherwise it's a beautiful photo, the redeeming point of an otherwise badly executed collection of photographs.

• JJacob

Ugh, so washed out. And what does 4th down have to do with fashion? Lovely lip prints girls, but I can barely see what you're wearing.

• sarkozy

what the fuck is going on?

• Lex

Men love all female things Japanese and Chinese
    because they are petite, and they do what you tell
    them without 5 arguments. Right men?

Heard something newsworthy?

Long live lad culture, tits, bevs and banter

Sick of hearing about lad culture in Cambridge? So am I, but as the Wyverns’ latin motto translates, “He who is as hung as a horse may flog a dead one”. As many ladies can testify I am fucking packing. This is your boy Hugh.

, Chief Reporter

If Notting Hill were remade today, where would it be set?

Dalston? Clapham? What about Brixton?

, Contributing Editor

The soul of London is visible through an unlikely window: Chicken Cottage

It’s a place that makes us all the same

, Contributing Editor

Quiz: Are you a creative?

You’re so Van Gogh right now

, Chief Reporter

You’re supposed to have met ‘the one’ by 25. But what if you haven’t?

We asked a relationship expert

Sarah Koenig is back reporting on Adnan Syed

At the retrial, a woman has told the court she was dissuaded from providing an alibi

, Contributing Editor

Ben Stiller murdered the entire concept of the selfie last night

But at least he set a new Guinness World Record in the process