Art and Faith: New Ways of Seeing

New inter-faith art exhibition hangs from a series of question marks for RUTH MARINER

Michaelhouse Cafe, 23rd April – 6th May 2012, FREE Entry

[rating:4/5]

Monday saw the launch of ‘Art and Faith: New Ways of Seeing’ – a project set up by Laura Solomons, Laura Kettle and Rosalind Parker – three theology students who set out to take inter-faith dialogue away from the scholarly and into the realm of the aesthetic.

The exhibition is in two parts. First, a display of the work of artists who are interested in exploring the relationship between art and faith in their work. Second, a series of student works which engage with a form of ‘visual scriptual reasoning’, opening up a multi-faith approach to the theme of ‘salvation.’

In the downstairs gallery, Samir Malik’s collection ‘Listening at the shores of the Great Silence’, explores a set of meditations on the Spirit and the teachings of the world’s faiths, teachings that guide us to live lives sourced from peace, responsibility and kindness. Inspired by his love of Islamic calligraphy, Samir’s work uses classical mediums including ink and paint on paper and canvas, applied with a kalam (and cut bamboo read) and brushes. The works mix a level of symbolism with text, and abstract exploration, which was effective, but perhaps too immediate to truly communicate the profundity of his perspective.

The upstairs gallery features the work of Siddiqa Juma, whose bold abstractions are aesthetically stunning. Guided by the Qu’ran and Islamic tradition, Siddiqa Juma creates art that celebrates a rich and religious cultural heritage, working motific designs throughout a range of mediums. Through her constant exploration of a recurring organisational patten – small forms careering towards a centralised motif in a kaleidoscopic burst of colour – Siddiqua clearly explores her desire to perform the Hajj, a pilgrimage towards the Holy City that she has not yet undertaken.

The ‘Visual Scriptual Reasoning’ project displays Jewish (Lizzie Marx), Muslim (Saba Annwar), Buddhist (Hugo Shakeshaft), Christian (Geni Corbett) and Sikh (Karandeep Singh Nandra) responses to the notion of salvation. All submissions were by students studying a range of courses, and we are left with a range of deeply personal depictions. One of the most resonant works in the series is Lizzie Marx’s portrayal of the 108 year old Mrs Edith Kaufmann, the oldest resident in a North London care home for the Jewish elderly, which communicates a deep sense of gravity and dignity in age. Impressive, also, is Hugo Shakeshaft’s response, The Raft, a delicate line drawing depicting the Buddha’s allegory which serves as a reminder that teachings are means to an end, and should not be carried as a burden.

However, the point really is that the aesthetic appeal of the artworks acts as a springboard towards further discussion. The organisers were out to provoke, and the result is potent. The exhibition sits on a nest full of questions which rapidly hatch and demand answers to be shoved down their throat – from the most obvious questions of ultimate meaning, through notions of personal ‘truth’ and exploration, to the relationship between spiritual process and aesthetic product.

The greatest joy of the opening night, was the level of discussion buzzing around the room – a genuine interchange of thought from people of different faiths, and people curious and open minded to spirituality. So, if you feel ready to be not only inspired, but challenged, get down to the Michaelhouse cafe at some point this week. Seminars, discussion groups and opportunities to explore Islamic calligraphy await you! Details here.

• shakeshaft

you can shake my 'raft' if you know what i mean 😉

• Scriptural reasoning

What a load of bollocks.

• yo sup

there's a guy who's called Huge-o Shake-shaft?

i mean damn, son

• wut

"from the most obvious questions of ultimate meaning, through notions of personal ‘truth’ and exploration, to the relationship between spiritual process and aesthetic product." errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr this is like saying 'it touches on what it means to be human' i.e nothing at all

Heard something newsworthy?

and

The mafia is opening its ranks: FEATURES EDITOR

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

, Cambridge Editor

Tab’s BIGGEST BNOCs: Special Mentions + Top 50

We promise to stop milking this stupid idea after this article. Really.

Everything you’ll understand if you don’t like football

What is an accumulator and how do I get my hands on one?

and

The undiscovered genius of tapered tracksuit trousers

It’s like your legs are the wafer in a Kit Kat

Netflix has announced release dates for several big shows

House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are coming back

Valentine’s with your BFF is much better

People are calling it Galentine’s

, Chief Reporter

How to blag your way through the Super Bowl, according to a proper American

‘The thing about Denver Broncos is they always try and walk it in’

, Features Editor

What’s the best month to have your birthday?

It’s your princess day