A Doll’s House

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

AMI JONES isn't sure there's much point in reviewing this, but she did it for you anyway.

Corpus Playroom, 24th-28th April, 7pm, £5-6

Directed by Rosie Robson

[rating: 3/5]

I have literally no way of telling you how the next four performances of A Doll’s House are going to go. So kudos to the cast and crew for actually trumping the entire concept of a review for the first time.

Kudos is deserved as well for the sheer balls behind the concept: Ibsen’s classic play performed over five nights with no lines memorised, the casting decided by a few coin tosses moments before opening every show, and props provided by audience members. We’re only students once (some unlucky ones twice) and this is our chance to do crrrrazy things in theatre.

It’s just, well… I would’ve liked a bit crazier. Yes, it does take balls to do something like that, but it would’ve been nice to have full-blown cojones. Or maybe just some clarity of vision. It was interesting but that’s not quite enough. Why put on an improvised production of a late 19th-century realist Norwegian play?

The actors didn’t seem like they’d’ve been able to answer my question. They were clearly having the time of their lives on stage, which is always nice to see, but I couldn’t avoid a creeping suspicion that they were having far more fun than the audience. I was in the uncomfortable position of not being sure what response I was supposed to give. I didn’t know whether this was supposed to be improvisation a la Whose Line is it Anyway? or a sincere theatrical experiment. And neither, I suspect, did the cast and crew. The result was that moments of heightened drama and moments of genuine comedy, rather than complimenting each other, simply clashed confusingly.

James Ellis (who played Torvald last night) is capable of being a funny actor off the cuff, and boy does he know it. He managed to get the audience giggling within the first few minutes, and then he was off – goofing it up for all the laughs he could get. Meanwhile Claudia Grigg-Edo managed to bring some nice moments of pathos as Nora, and was fully immersed in carrying the story down the path it needed to go down while squeezing in as much characterisation as one can while making things up on the go.

And there was nothing wrong in any of this – except that it just didn’t work together. The result was that were moments where the shock of watching a character about to be raped was combined with the nasty discomfort of knowing that moments ago we’d been laughing at the comedy-advances of a comedy-lech who was now suddenly about to freaking rape someone.

To add to my confusion, there was a keyboardist in the corner doing improvisation of his own throughout, playing bits of incidental music as it went along. And yes, he was very good, but I don’t really know what he was doing there. The technicians apparently decided they wanted to be part of the improv as well, so the lights kept dimming and brightening in the middle of scenes for no apparent reason.

I suspect that originally this was an earnest attempt to create interesting drama, and while I admire the challenge this production set itself, it didn’t quite meet it. There’s a reason that improv is nearly always a technique used to generate comedy – Ibsen’s delicate, finely-tuned script and characters were replaced by ham-fisted themes and caricatures. And of course they were – these guys were making it up on the spot, after all.

I can sit here and riddle as many holes as I like, but at the end of the day I return to my original point. This production is brave and interesting. I urge you to see it – if only because it’s a breath of fresh air to find people willing to take risks like this.

Facebook Twitter
  • Fantastic Review

Fantastic Review

• Yep

Whatever the snide comments that people leave on the Guide Dog pages say, you do write some damn good reviews…

• and

some shit ones too, otherwise she wouldn't have been voted most incorrect review…. jussayin. this one's quite good.

• isn't it

• A.J.

Yes. Yes it is. Has been changed accordingly.

• Tony Benn

I’ll be voting for RON.

At least he isn’t promising the Earth and failing to tell us how he’ll pay for it.

• Phil

Michael Rubin “wants to set up an SU approved estate agent scheme”.

This already exists – SULETs has a very rigorous admissions policy/property criteria for new and existing landlords.

Just more populist crap to get people’s votes.

• John

SULets is amazing, I’ve actually used them to sort my accommodation for next year. I would wholly recommend them to students looking for private accommodation. However the problem is students will go to other letting agencies such as Belvoir (whom I’ve had the displeasure of using) based on the properties available and at the time of viewing they might not be aware of additional costs such application fees or other extortionate practices. The point of this policy is to vet agencies and assess how ‘student friendly’ they are. It’s about providing students with a choice of student friendly accommodation be it with SULets or any other approved agency.

• Simon W

Peter had cake at 1.50, shows how much attention the author of this piece paid!

• Bob

Who the fuck is voting for Michael Rubin on this poll?

Especially after Votegate.

• Tony

Where is Alistair Robinson?

Heard something on campus?

By on

The beginning of the end for the NHS?

The NHS is terminally ill. Jeremy Hunt’s latest plans to stretch junior doctors to their mortal limits could send Britain’s national treasure six feet under.

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

An interview with The Footlights

The Tab sits down with tour show director Ken Cheng and performers Adrian Gray, Archie Henderson and Eleanor Colville to talk about freshers, being funny and their new show.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’