The Return of Library Whispers

By on

NICK SINCLAIR investigates the renaissance of Cambridge's favourite exam term social media phenomenon.

Whether you fancy a hand shandy in amongst the dusty periodicals of the UL or you just want to monitor the movement of insects, Library Whispers is the site for you.

Back for a second year, the website allows students to post anonymous comments from libraries around Cambridge and is due to relaunch tonight thanks to popular demand. I spoke to one of the creators of the site, Oliver Rees, who was keen to tell me all about the new features available this year.

The site will now incorporate a hash tag system like Twitter, which will allow students to see trending topics. Rees suggested the hash tag #EnglishExam, but I imagine that #LibrarianCleavage and #AwkwardAccidentalFootsieWithPersonSittingAcrossFromMe will emerge as top trends for the exam season.

Whisper it…

The coming weeks may also see the introduction of the ‘@’ symbol for contacting other users, based on their library and the time. I am hoping this will greatly facilitate my fantasy of a three way on a bed of well-thumbed copies of the Journal of Oceanography and Marine Science, but unfortunately there are no confirmed reports of any sexual liaisons ever actually having taken place.

The idea for Library Whispers was hatched when one of the creators witnessed a librarian snoozing in her chair. After the frustration of not being able to share this experience with anyone at the time he wanted to create a site that would allow students, who may sit next to each other for weeks in total silence, to communicate.

Highlights from last year included a minute-by-minute update on all wasp movements in the Department of PPSIS, May Ball related leaks, and a number of “incredibly obscene” proposals. Still more juicy content was blocked from the site, only to appear in The Tab some weeks later…

Start projecting your own filth and suggestion at

• Libwhisp

• Hmm

Why are Tab writers so obsessed by the prospect of library sex. Given how few people in Cambridge ever seem to be getting any action at all, I'm thinking it's a fairly unlikely prospect…

• Massive lad

It would be a mistake to confuse your lack of sex for a general lack of sex

• One name

Ben Dalton.

• clearly

you need to get yourself to South Wing Floor 5. Well dusty.

• WhibLisp

Thuck my ballth

• Token

• Not a patch on

fitfinder (pbuh).

• Open season

I don't think you've heard of open season

You forgot about me!

• Mike Ellis

I had sex in Fitz library!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Fitzbilly

Guess I won't be doing lick-a-desk then

• Fitzwilly

• Wutwut

The selfie guy looks like the kid from lazy town

• Norman The doorman

Ive worked at 2 of the busiest clubs in the city as a bouncer and never seen this guy

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Police crash Peterhouse JCR Christmas Party after drunk fresher smashes window

They asked people to come forward or they would personally inspect everyone

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By , Chief Reporter on

Confessions: What was your worst Tinder date?

‘He told me he had slept with my ex a few weeks earlier so it was literally a date from hell’

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s more important: Face or body?

Pretty face, average bod > average face, fit bod

By and on

What is the best all-girls school in the country?

‘Millie can I borrow a tampon?’

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life