The Return of Library Whispers

NICK SINCLAIR investigates the renaissance of Cambridge's favourite exam term social media phenomenon.

Whether you fancy a hand shandy in amongst the dusty periodicals of the UL or you just want to monitor the movement of insects, Library Whispers is the site for you.

Back for a second year, the website allows students to post anonymous comments from libraries around Cambridge and is due to relaunch tonight thanks to popular demand. I spoke to one of the creators of the site, Oliver Rees, who was keen to tell me all about the new features available this year.

The site will now incorporate a hash tag system like Twitter, which will allow students to see trending topics. Rees suggested the hash tag #EnglishExam, but I imagine that #LibrarianCleavage and #AwkwardAccidentalFootsieWithPersonSittingAcrossFromMe will emerge as top trends for the exam season.

Whisper it…

The coming weeks may also see the introduction of the ‘@’ symbol for contacting other users, based on their library and the time. I am hoping this will greatly facilitate my fantasy of a three way on a bed of well-thumbed copies of the Journal of Oceanography and Marine Science, but unfortunately there are no confirmed reports of any sexual liaisons ever actually having taken place.

The idea for Library Whispers was hatched when one of the creators witnessed a librarian snoozing in her chair. After the frustration of not being able to share this experience with anyone at the time he wanted to create a site that would allow students, who may sit next to each other for weeks in total silence, to communicate.

Highlights from last year included a minute-by-minute update on all wasp movements in the Department of PPSIS, May Ball related leaks, and a number of “incredibly obscene” proposals. Still more juicy content was blocked from the site, only to appear in The Tab some weeks later…

Start projecting your own filth and suggestion at www.librarywhispers.co.uk.

• Libwhisp

YEAH!!!

• Hmm

Why are Tab writers so obsessed by the prospect of library sex. Given how few people in Cambridge ever seem to be getting any action at all, I'm thinking it's a fairly unlikely prospect…

• Massive lad

It would be a mistake to confuse your lack of sex for a general lack of sex

• One name

Ben Dalton.

• clearly

you need to get yourself to South Wing Floor 5. Well dusty.

• WhibLisp

Thuck my ballth

• Token

#hashtag

• Not a patch on

fitfinder (pbuh).

• Open season

I don't think you've heard of open season

• WILLS

You forgot about me!

• Mike Ellis

I had sex in Fitz library!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Fitzbilly

Guess I won't be doing lick-a-desk then

• Fitzwilly

#lickadesk

Heard something newsworthy?

, Cambridge Editor

More May Ball Madness: John’s auction two double-tickets for over ONE THOUSAND POUNDS

May Ball season has got off to a mad start

REVIEW: CUOS Short Stories

Three remarkable student-written chamber operas performed in Trinity and Jesus College Chapels.

REVIEW: Measure for Measure

Shakespeare’s meditation on vice and virtue has been marvellously brought to life by the Marlowe Society at The Cambridge Arts Theatre.

, Contributing Editor

Bankers who wear red ties are making the ultimate tacky statement

They are Donald Trumps of the financial world

, Chief Reporter

We asked a load of guys called Pablo what their lives are really like

One of them hadn’t even heard of Kanye West

, Contributing Editor

Science says there are four kinds of couple

No, one of them isn’t the ‘really irritating’ couple

, Chief Reporter

The worst thing about turning 26 is a myth – you still get a railcard

Cheap trains are still an option

Desktop WhatsApp is a gamechanger

You can be messaging all day and your boss won’t have a clue