The Return of Library Whispers

by , Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

NICK SINCLAIR investigates the renaissance of Cambridge's favourite exam term social media phenomenon.

Whether you fancy a hand shandy in amongst the dusty periodicals of the UL or you just want to monitor the movement of insects, Library Whispers is the site for you.

Back for a second year, the website allows students to post anonymous comments from libraries around Cambridge and is due to relaunch tonight thanks to popular demand. I spoke to one of the creators of the site, Oliver Rees, who was keen to tell me all about the new features available this year.

The site will now incorporate a hash tag system like Twitter, which will allow students to see trending topics. Rees suggested the hash tag #EnglishExam, but I imagine that #LibrarianCleavage and #AwkwardAccidentalFootsieWithPersonSittingAcrossFromMe will emerge as top trends for the exam season.

Whisper it…

The coming weeks may also see the introduction of the ‘@’ symbol for contacting other users, based on their library and the time. I am hoping this will greatly facilitate my fantasy of a three way on a bed of well-thumbed copies of the Journal of Oceanography and Marine Science, but unfortunately there are no confirmed reports of any sexual liaisons ever actually having taken place.

The idea for Library Whispers was hatched when one of the creators witnessed a librarian snoozing in her chair. After the frustration of not being able to share this experience with anyone at the time he wanted to create a site that would allow students, who may sit next to each other for weeks in total silence, to communicate.

Highlights from last year included a minute-by-minute update on all wasp movements in the Department of PPSIS, May Ball related leaks, and a number of “incredibly obscene” proposals. Still more juicy content was blocked from the site, only to appear in The Tab some weeks later…

Start projecting your own filth and suggestion at

Facebook Twitter
  • Libwhisp

• Hmm

Why are Tab writers so obsessed by the prospect of library sex. Given how few people in Cambridge ever seem to be getting any action at all, I'm thinking it's a fairly unlikely prospect…

• Massive lad

It would be a mistake to confuse your lack of sex for a general lack of sex

• One name

Ben Dalton.

• clearly

you need to get yourself to South Wing Floor 5. Well dusty.

• WhibLisp

Thuck my ballth

• Token

• Not a patch on

fitfinder (pbuh).

• Open season

I don't think you've heard of open season

You forgot about me!

• Mike Ellis

I had sex in Fitz library!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Fitzbilly

Guess I won't be doing lick-a-desk then

• Fitzwilly

• Wutwut

The selfie guy looks like the kid from lazy town

• Norman The doorman

Ive worked at 2 of the busiest clubs in the city as a bouncer and never seen this guy

The Tab is a network of 60 university news sites with thousands of student reporters

by , Senior Tab reporter on

REVIEW: Flash FM – no Flash in the pan

Last night’s Flash FM at Fez was a storming success.

by , Senior Tab reporter on

TAB EXCLUSIVE: Turf releases 2015 May Ball movie

It’s making us very excited for clubbing in Michaelmas

By on

How to fit in at Cambridge

A guide to being unique, trendy and generally the raddest thing in town