UPDATE: Cambridge Win The Boat Race – Full Report

UPDATE: A protestor's blog has claimed responsibility for swimming into the Thames to disrupt the race.

UPDATE: 5.50pm

Business networking site LinkedIn reveals Trenton Oldfield’s anti-elitist credentials. An LSE graduate, Oldfield has been involved in urban renewable projects focusing on the Thames towpaths that surround today’s shocking incident. He has past form in river-based protest: council records reveal he planned to stage a ‘boat trip between Hammersmith and Chelsea to promote sustainable transport issues’.

UPDATE: 5.30pm

Trenton Oldfield, a 35-year-old protester, has been identified as the rogue swimmer, and the blogpost quoted below is believed to have been written by him as well.

UPDATE: 4.30pm

Speculation is rife regarding the identity of the rogue swimmer. A blogpost claims responsibility for the disruption, which it claims was a protest against elitism:

“THIS IS A PROTEST, AN ACT OF CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE, A METHODOLOGY OF REFUSING AND RESISTANCE. THIS ACT HAS EMPLOYED GUERRILLA TACTICS. I AM SWIMMING INTO THE BOATS IN THE HOPE I CAN STOP THEM FROM COMPLETING THE RACE AND PROPOSING THE RETURN OF SURPRISE TACTICS.”

More as we find out.

___________________

Cambridge won the 158th boat race in a storm of interruption and clashes of oars. Nothing could have prepared them for what happened in today’s race.

A swimmer interrupted the race halfway through, only for the crews’ blades to clash on the restart. An Oxford blade snapped in half, giving Cambridge an easy row to the finish in one of the most extraordinary races ever.

Cambridge President David Nelson won the toss and chose the Surrey station, which has produced the lion’s share of wins in recent years. With Oxford pre-race 4/9 favourites, it was an early bonus for the Light Blues.

With 250,000 spectators lining the banks, the atmosphere was electric as the race began. Oxford made the strongest start, pulling out to a quarter of a length lead within the first minute. But Cambridge knew their Surrey station would have the advantage coming past Hammersmith and didn’t panic. 

The crews level at Hammersmith Bridge before the stoppage

The Light Blues upped their stroke rate to 37 and pulled it back to lead by a third of a length as there was nearly a clash of blades going under Hammersmith Bridge. Coming past Chiswick Eyot the crews were level, when suddenly everything stopped.

Assistant umpire Sir Matthew Pinsent had seen a protester swim out into the river, forcing the stoppage of the race for the first time since 2001. He narrowly missed hitting an Oxford blade at high-speed, which could have killed him, before being whisked away in a police boat, still smiling.

As confusion spread along the banks, the boats turned around and headed back to re-start the race from a point just before the interruption at Chiswick Eyot. The following flotilla’s wake had churned up the river, and there was a delay while the water settled down again.

It made for a completely different race. Both crews had been selected for a four-mile marathon and found themselves with a two mile sprint to the finish, but the choppy waters seemed to favour a Cambridge crew who were on average 7.9kg heavier per man.

When umpire John Garrett got the crews going again with a rolling start, there was still nothing to choose between the boats. The crews came closer and closer to each other, with the umpire warning the Oxford crew to keep their distance, as Cambridge held their line. But the boats came too close and the inevitable clash happened. It caused Oxford’s Wienhausen’s oar to snap and they were effectively reduced to seven men.

From then on the race was all but over, and Cambridge went on to win easily. Oxford cox Zoe De Toledo registered an appeal at the end of the race, but umpire Garrett said he was “comfortable with Cambridge’s position on the river”, laying all fault with the Oxford crew.

Cambridge crossing the finish line ahead of 7-man Oxford

Cambridge stood up in their boat to celebrate as they came under Chiswick Bridge, but the jubilations were quickly muted when the Oxford bow Alex Woods collapsed having crossed the finish line. Medics were called to administer oxygen and he was taken to Charing Cross hospital, but is said to be doing well.

Alex Woods collapsed in the Oxford boat after the race

After the race Cambridge’s Steve Dudek echoed the sentiments of all present at the finish line, saying “we hope he’s all right. Our thoughts are with him”. Light Blue coach Steve Trapmore said it was “not the ideal way to win, but we’re very proud of the guys”. Due to Woods’ collapse, the presentation was cancelled, despite Boris Johnson having turned up for it.

Cambridge President David Nelson felt that Cambridge had been rowing better than Oxford at the point of the clash, but the 158th Boat Race will forever be remembered for the drama that surrounded it.

In the reserves race, Cambridge’s Goldie also won the toss and chose Surrey. It was Goldie who made the best start, pulling out to a half-length lead. But by the milepost that had evaporated and Isis got a quarter of a length ahead. Goldie never recovered, and by the time the crews were approaching Chiswick, Isis had pulled out to three lengths, using the Middlesex bank to their advantage. A final margin of five lengths was the official verdict.

You can also see our live coverage here and on Twitter.

Photographs by Sonali Campion and Laura Pugh

• What an absolute

cunt

• Anna Isaac

I don't use the word cunt very often but for Trenton Oldfield, I'll make an exception.

• Nelson Mandela

This is actually a quality article. cheers tom tryon, you've served the tab well and i hope you go on to good things in the future 🙂

ps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVv7o1ePo4U

nah but seriously, i love you

• Ashpit

what does a girl say after having 8 orgasms? THANKS ASHPIT!

true story

• Tryon

DAMN i write well. like really well

• Ron Burgundy

mmmm i look good. i mean, i look really good. HEY EVERYBODY, COME SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK

• heyguesswhowon

CAMBRIDGE BABY!!!!! lets all go celebrate by ruining cindies and stealing the van of death

• NewZealander

you got any t sauce?

• lolbytheway

you, have' really! bad grammar?

• 50 wings?

i think bbc should potentially take their article down and replace it with this?

POTENTIALLY

POTENTIALLY

• Fijian Pikey

ok so basically what happened was i work on motor engines, like the ones you find in bikes and cars and stuff, so i decided to build one of them (true story) instead of coming spoons. anyway, on the way to work i found a coconut and threw it at this police officer, who took offence and arrested me. now i'm in jail for 3 months for armed robbery of a child, which sucks because the police officer didn't even tell me his name! what a chopper. anyway its all good because chopper bailed me out and bought my ticket back to chris brown's apartment in the south of kent so GET INVOLVED. like fully involved

• More drama than…

the ADC.

• that oarkward moment

when you just want to go rowing on the Thames and Trenton Oldfield won't get out of the way.

• /sp/

-lose race
    -pretend to die

Stay classy, Oxford.

• http://www.houseprotectors.co.uk Colin Hall

This was the first boat race that I ever watched !
    I'm 45 years old and I never knew that they could be such fun to watch !
    Does a passing swimmer always nearly get decapitated ?
    I wonder what the odds were.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Cambridge Editor

Could you be the next Tab mafia boss?

We’re recruiting Senior Editors for Michaelmas 2016

How to be a creeper

To bae or not to bae

, Assistant Editor

Putlocker has been blocked by internet service providers

Goodbye, old friend

Your gym leggings might be causing you health problems

At least they make you look cool

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Can you guess whether these people are pro-Brexit?

See if they’re innies or outies based on their outfit

Can you guess the price of these Waitrose ‘Essentials’?

You paid how much for Ardennes Pâté?

, Argument Editor

Forget London, I’m moving to Bath

It’s better in every single way