CWAFC Blues Smash Leicester to Win the League

FOOTBALL: CWAFC follow their male counterparts sealing promotion emphatically against Leicester.

Blues bucs CWAFC League winners Varsity Women's football

Despite being in a tight league, Cambridge Women secured their top position on Wednesday with an emphatic 8-1 victory against Leicester.

The captain, Manon van Thorenburg, opened the scoring early in the first half, which was followed shortly afterwards by a scoring header from Amelia Southgate off a perfect corner by Lisa Furtwängler. A brief period of Leicester dominating the game led to their only goal, but the Blues swiftly turned the tables as Emma Eldridge scored a relaxed 1 on 1 against the keeper in retaliation before half time.

The second half saw Leicester collapse under Cambridge pressure, with more goals from Katie Sandford, Kate Robinson, and Amelia Southgate, who was looking for her second hat-trick this season. Van Thorenburg sealed the victory with a hat-trick of her own, however, leading her team to the top of the league and securing its promotion at the end of a brilliant season.

With an influx of Fresher talent, the team started strongly last term, coming out on top in matches against the majority of the teams they played. Their run of form faltered a little at the start of Lent term, largely due to injuries and pure bad luck, but the Blues fought hard to change the tables and stay in contention for the League Title.

It was a 2-0 victory over UEA which signaled a return to winning form, which was followed by another 4-0 win over Nottingham Trent to secure CUWAFC’s place in the race for top position in the league. The women went into the away game against Leicester in the knowledge that a win would bring league glory. Not only did they win to take the League Title, but they absolutely crushed Leicester’s women in a victory which reflects the skill, strength and commitment of the Cambridge Women’s team.