CUSU Goes Old-school

Rosalyn Old is officially fit. And officially CUSU president next year.

Robinson student Rosalyn Old won the election to become CUSU President late last night, beating Akilah Jeffers into second place, in a vote which attracted the highest turnout for a decade.

In results which strongly echoed The Tab’s Fit President poll(where she took a stonking 68% of the vote), Old dominated the contest, taking almost 50% more of the votes than her nearest rival. Left wing candidate Ben Gliniecki was a distant third.

Victorious

After winning Old told The Tab that she was “thrilled to have won”, although it is not fully known whether this was regarding the CUSU election or Fit President.

The President elect continued that she was “keen to get started on planning the policy and campaigns that I included in my manifesto, to be ready to get going straight away when we come into office.”

Second place Jeffers had 200 votes deducted after it was deemed that she broke campaigning rules by promoting herself on Facebook to people who she was not friends with. However, even these extra votes would not have been enough to help her become president.

In all 4,364 students voted in the elections, a turn-out of 20.4% and the second highest ever, only behind 2003’s election, which saw an extra 36 ballots cast.

Old was quick to point out the role of The Tab in raising the turn-out. When we asked her about Fit President, she told us that “it got a lot of people engaged with the CUSU elections, who might not have realised it was happening otherwise”.

When asked how it felt to win the inaugural Fit President poll Old humbly responded: “I guess it’s a compliment!?”

In the other CUSU sabb elections, Sidney Sussex’s Dom Weldon won the fight to be Co-ordinator, while Susy Langsdale was voted in as Women’s officer.

Langsdale, who is not our biggest fan, told The Tab that she was “just really excited. I’m looking forward to carrying on Ruth’s great work with the Women’s campaign as well as and helping to add my own direction to it.”

Sam Wakeford, Chris Page and Vicky Hudson were all successful took the roles of Education officer, Welfare and Rights Officer and Access Officer respectively.

@Jonny_Singer
Heard something newsworthy?

REVIEW: Ten Plagues

Dani Cugini is confused and mesmerised by one of Cambridge’s most experimental shows to date.

Pro-Palestine Societies boycott Middle East Peace Week

They claim the talks were organised to “direct attention away from the growing success of Israeli Apartheid Week”.

and and

Tab Tries: Cambridge Escape Rooms

We got locked into several locked rooms for an hour and had to solve a series of weirdly difficult challenges to get out.

, Contributing Editor

Getting wasted with Kanye West fans in Notting Hill

To celebrate the release of The Life of Pablo

Liverpool Smithdown house parties are hell on earth

Do you even know the weirdos you’re letting in your house?

, Chief Reporter

Craig David’s Valentine’s playlist is a banger

He picked out his favourite ‘heartbreak’ tunes

Kingsland shopping centre is like a brilliant parallel universe

I can’t even find a recent photograph of it

, Chief Reporter

There’s a new app that works out what kind of dog you are

It uses artificial intelligence