By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

ANNA ISAAC finds a play which discusses some controversial issues with flair and sensitivity.

ADC, 6th-10th March, 7.45pm, £6-10

Directed by Niall Wilson

[rating: 4/5]

I was enticed by a program that showed some playful and clever production work. It was disguised as a menu welcoming me to the 60th birthday party that the play depicts and it set the perfect tone for domestic drama.

Sadly it was a sluggish opening, too slow for my liking.  A play which has a striking but ultimately very simple plot would have benefitted from more energy from the off. Likewise, I felt that at times the curtains and set changes held up the narrative.

Using the full depth of the ADC  lost the claustrophobia that lends itself to family drama; a tight backdrop behind the table would have forced the action closer to the audience and increased their discomfort for the better. But the performance matured as it went on, and by the second half I was sold on the show.

I could have kissed Ed Eustace as Poul for his delivery (of admittedly great lines). It was full of vigour and humour in a play that needs it. Some might find it jarring, particularly in what was for the most part a naturalistic production, but I found it lifted the audience, just enough for the painful downs to take full effect.

Will Attenborough, as Christian, played silence to its best advantage, stilling the room and the theatre beyond any point of comfort, in order to drive home the overpowering anger as the events of the night went on. (I’m sorry for sneezing at one point, by the way.)

Laura Profumo (Mette) and Rosalie Hayes (Pia), brought the necessary heady undertones of adult sexuality to the performance. Profumo acted throughout with admirable consistency and poise, and most importantly made a believable mother. Luka Krsljanin (Michael) matched her well and developed his tone and macho physicality to great effect, particularly for the final scene.

A word or two must be said for Ben Kavanagh as Helge. His was a very impressive performance – Kavanagh gave it his all, and – without giving too much away – his performance was one of such conviction that by the final scene whether one hated him or not became irrelevant.

A powerful and genuinely moving production which explores some painful issues in a dramatic yet sensitive light, Festen seems slated to be a sell-out show. Well-deserved, I say.

Facebook Twitter
  • Thank you

Slightly disappointed you didn't call anyone a cunt but thank you for deviating from the moronic Varsity school of reviewing which entails 50% plot summary, 25% plot spoilers and a modicum of "well done I liked the acting which the actors did" head-patting.

• ADC Back Wall

Great review and props for doing significantly better than the atrocious, pathetic Varsity plot summary that is masquerading as a review (Seriously, if anyone is thinking of seeing Festen, don't read Varsity's moronic attempt at reviewing even if it gives the show five stars, TCS and CTR both do that with more thought put into them).

Having said that, I thought the use of the full depth of the ADC stage was awesome, giving proceedings a striking, cavernous backdrop which fits in with the fact that the play makes it clear the action is set in a vast country estate hotel rather than some tiny dingy pub with tiny claustrophobic rooms.

Nonetheless, a grand review.

• It's no

Top Girls

Heard something on campus?

By , Tab reporter on

Emily Maitlis has everyone’s dream job

You know you’ve made it when you’re invited back to speak at the Union

By on

REVIEW: Beluga

Flo Best and Ellen McGrath had a whale of a time and surprisingly learned a bit about belugas along the way.

By on

Corpus playroom’s small theatre space lends itself to the intense feeling of claustrophobia in LAUNCH.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Toffs should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’