Interview: Penelope Skinner

By , Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

JAKE ARNOTT's scares children with up-and-coming playwright Penelope Skinner.

In a crowded Costa, Britain’s most promising playwright is considering her thoughts on porn. Penelope Skinner, a waifish thirty-something in a cardie, hugs her knees as she contemplates my question. From the table behind her, a mother shoots me a dirty look.

‘I do feel strongly about porn, but I don’t feel simply about it… I think part of the influence of America is that we have this reassuring belief that all porn stars live in Beverly Hills and drive around in Porsches, but it’s just not like that, at least not in this country.’

The anxious mother shepherds her toddlers away. Skinner’s plays are not exactly family-friendly – her first success was a one-woman show in 2009 called Fucked. Pulling no punches, it told the dramatic decline of an intelligent young woman into lap-dancing, drug addiction and prostitution.

Her 2010 play Eigengrau also refuses to soften its messages. The play’s two pivotal scenes are shocking depictions of sexual manipulation where it’s hard to tell who’s at fault. Highlighting the effect of porn culture on cultural norms, a man receives a blow job he doesn’t want from a woman who thinks it’s the only way to make him love her.

Skinner is not afraid of bringing social critique into her work – but to her, it’s all about character. ‘In Eigengrau, what I was trying to explore was a kind of angry feminist, something I’d moved through at the time I wrote the play.’ I ask if she feels an affinity with the strident feminist Cassie, who, in one of the play’s most tense moments, is coerced into shaving her legs by a sexually embarrassed man. She laughs.

‘I think I feel affinity with all the characters – you use aspects of yourself in all of them’. A surprising statement about a play featuring a fat, unemployed man, a woman who goes insane, and, most notably, the misogynistic, manipulative marketing guy, Mark. She pauses. ‘Well, maybe not so much with Mark…’

‘The story tends to be driven by characters. I’m definitely interested in people.’ Despite her unflinching approach, Penelope Skinner is not an activist, and what comes across in her plays is a sense of horror at how much sharp, biting comedic observation can be drawn from normal people’s lives going disastrously wrong.

I mention the Cambridge production of Eigengrau. ‘I’m very excited about the Cambridge production of Eigengrau’ Skinner graciously responds. ‘It’s a great feeling – it’s such good fun when you realise that people get something from the play and want to do it.’

The past few years, and 2011 in particular, have seen Skinner’s career take off. Last year at the Royal Court her latest play, The Village Bike, was critically acclaimed and she was proclaimed the ‘Most Promising Playwright’ of 2011 by the Evening Standard Theatre Awards and the George Devine Award. She also wrote an episode for Channel 4 sitcom Fresh Meat – after our interview she was heading to London for a plot-writing session on the second series.

Her interest in complex sexual politics has even made its mark in this Peep-Show-cum­-Inbetweeners comedy: in Skinner’s episode, JP (Jack Whitehall) wakes up with no memory of the night before and farcically comes to believe he has committed date-rape. With typical bold ruthlessness, Skinner mines this darkest of situations for every laugh it can get.

‘The thing about telly is there’s a different story-telling potential. I’m enjoying telling stories in a different media, and I have quite pop-culture influences anyway. I’m writing a pilot for a mystery series with my sister, and it’s really good fun.’ So will she be moving more into television in the future?

‘I guess so, a little. But doing something like Eigengrau – proper theatre – is totally amazing. I think when you have a good night at the theatre, it’s the best sort of entertainment there is.’

Eigengrau’ is on at Queen’s College Fitzpatrick Theatre, 6th-10th March (

The second series of ‘Fresh Meat’ is due to begin filming in May and set to be broadcast in September.

Facebook Twitter
  • A wild man appears
  • CaptainLogical

"all porn stars live in Beverly Hills … but it’s just not like that, at least not in this country."
    Insightful stuff.

• Gallywag

contemporary drama/porn essay sorted, thanks hubby!

• Spanish Jacky

I heard it was more than just her legs…

• Wilberforce

shame there aren’t as many disabled toilets. There is not a single one in the Attenborough building. One in the whole of the Charles Wilson building that I know of. In the Percy Gee and the library there is only one on each floor, and even then some of them are barely big enough to fit a wheelchair in.

• Terry Tibbs

Wear a diaper and quit moaning

• Wilberforce

if you think that is such a great solution why don’t you wear one as well? Oh and just In case you weren’t aware they are not called “diapers” in this country.

• Huggie Monster

Might I recommend Pampers Size 7, perfect for the slim adult male.

• Guest

There are disabled toilets every three floors in the Attenborough tower

• Cheeseballs

If you want to try out what it was like to poo in the 50s try the engineering building, ground floor.

Heard something on campus?

By , Tab reporter on

Emily Maitlis has everyone’s dream job

You know you’ve made it when you’re invited back to speak at the Union

By on

REVIEW: Beluga

Flo Best and Ellen McGrath had a whale of a time and surprisingly learned a bit about belugas along the way.

By on

Corpus playroom’s small theatre space lends itself to the intense feeling of claustrophobia in LAUNCH.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Toffs should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’