Paedo Philo Prof

, News Editor

Former Cambridge Prof Peter Smith was charged with downloading images of CHILD PORN on his computer.

A former Cambridge philosophy supervisor was sentenced today on charges of downloading child porn.

Dr Peter Smith was found guilty of downloading 1,143 illegal images of child pornography between 2009 and 2011. The images found reached the highest level on the scale of child porn severity.

Smith, who previously taught philosophy at the Uni, has been sentenced with an internet ban and 180 hours of community service.

In addition to his punishment, he is to be placed on the sex offenders’ register for 5 years.

But this isn’t the first time that Peter Smith, 67, has been found guilty of inappropriate sexual behaviour. Back in 2003 he resigned as a fellow of Jesus after it was revealed he entertained prostitutes in the same room where he supervised students.

Paedo Prof Peter Smith

The news that Smith was sentenced has concerned some of his former students.

A third year from Fitz who wished to remain anonymous said “I am shocked and disgusted to hear about this, and surprised that he hasn’t learned from his widely-known past transgressions.”

A third year Clareite, who also studied under Smith, said she now “wished I hadn’t bought his bloody book.”

@hshukman
  • what

I have replied to jkg 3 times over the past 3 days now but each time it hasn't been approved.

If you check the TCS link further up the comments section, you'll see the passage that I have alreaddy quoted from it: http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/issue/news/cambridge-uni
    "The Cambridge News report further confirms that the court heard the images found on Smith's computer ranged from level 1 to level 5 in the COPINE scale set which is used to categorise indecent images of children. Level 5 is defined as "deliberately posed pictures of fully, partially clothed or naked children in sexualised or provocative poses."

• COPINE master

To clear something up. The grading of levels 1-5 used for sentencing indecent image offences was based on the COPINE scale but is *not the same scale*. The sentencing scale is often incorrectly referred to as the "COPINE scale" anyway. Level 5 in sentencing terms is equivalent to level 10 on the COPINE scale.

Having said that, in most cases the vast majority of images are level 1, and if level 4 or 5 images are present at all it is often a small number. Comparing the sentence to the sentencing guidelines (http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/web_SexualOffencesAct_2003.pdf, p. 113) and considering that it was mitigated from custodial to non-custodial, I would suggest that this is the case here.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Do we really hate each other?

Are the haters really gonna hate hate hate?

The Cambridge Easter Term Bucket List

Finding the fun in the joyless.

REVIEW: The Winter’s Tale

Shakespeare returns to the ADC in fine style.

, Assistant Editor

Snapchatting your trip to the polling station is silly, self-absorbed and insignificant

It’s a day about something bigger, and you somehow managed to make it about yourself

, Argument Editor

‘What’s the weather like up there?’ and other things tall people are fed up of hearing

You’re right actually, it is starting to rain

, Soton Opinion Editor of The Tab

Stop saying Kent is ‘racist’

There is something more complicated at play

, Assistant Editor

The Midlands is a place, don’t tell me I live in the North (or South)

Ever heard of Stratford-upon-Avon?

, Durham Editor

I went on the pill to treat my acne and it almost killed me

Madison will be on blood thinning medication for the rest of her life

, Assistant Editor

Stop saying you’ll give up things you have no interest in quitting

‘This is the last time I’m drinking, ever’