Paedo Philo Prof

, News Editor

Former Cambridge Prof Peter Smith was charged with downloading images of CHILD PORN on his computer.

A former Cambridge philosophy supervisor was sentenced today on charges of downloading child porn.

Dr Peter Smith was found guilty of downloading 1,143 illegal images of child pornography between 2009 and 2011. The images found reached the highest level on the scale of child porn severity.

Smith, who previously taught philosophy at the Uni, has been sentenced with an internet ban and 180 hours of community service.

In addition to his punishment, he is to be placed on the sex offenders’ register for 5 years.

But this isn’t the first time that Peter Smith, 67, has been found guilty of inappropriate sexual behaviour. Back in 2003 he resigned as a fellow of Jesus after it was revealed he entertained prostitutes in the same room where he supervised students.

Paedo Prof Peter Smith

The news that Smith was sentenced has concerned some of his former students.

A third year from Fitz who wished to remain anonymous said “I am shocked and disgusted to hear about this, and surprised that he hasn’t learned from his widely-known past transgressions.”

A third year Clareite, who also studied under Smith, said she now “wished I hadn’t bought his bloody book.”

@hshukman
  • what

I have replied to jkg 3 times over the past 3 days now but each time it hasn't been approved.

If you check the TCS link further up the comments section, you'll see the passage that I have alreaddy quoted from it: http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/issue/news/cambridge-uni
    "The Cambridge News report further confirms that the court heard the images found on Smith's computer ranged from level 1 to level 5 in the COPINE scale set which is used to categorise indecent images of children. Level 5 is defined as "deliberately posed pictures of fully, partially clothed or naked children in sexualised or provocative poses."

• COPINE master

To clear something up. The grading of levels 1-5 used for sentencing indecent image offences was based on the COPINE scale but is *not the same scale*. The sentencing scale is often incorrectly referred to as the "COPINE scale" anyway. Level 5 in sentencing terms is equivalent to level 10 on the COPINE scale.

Having said that, in most cases the vast majority of images are level 1, and if level 4 or 5 images are present at all it is often a small number. Comparing the sentence to the sentencing guidelines (http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/web_SexualOffencesAct_2003.pdf, p. 113) and considering that it was mitigated from custodial to non-custodial, I would suggest that this is the case here.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Deputy Cambridge Editor

BREAKING: Cambridge votes NO to disaffiliation

The referendum failed to pass with the results saying 51.52% of Cantabs voted to stay with the NUS.

,        

LIVEBLOG: NUS referendum results

Brace yourselves, this is about to get interesting.

REVEALED: Malia Bouattia was investigated by NUS for anti-Semitism

They were ‘satisfied, based on the evidence and information available to me that it was not Malia’s intention to be anti-Semitic’.

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’

, TabTv producer, The Tab Trent

How to be single

There’s an art to it

Which Made In Chelsea character are you?

Imagine if you were Funda

My ADHD makes me frantic and scatty – but I wouldn’t have it any other way

It gives me the energy to run seven events and a ticketing business

, Assistant Editor

The many faces of George Osborne

We reviewed them all