Lacrosse Ladies Net Varsity Victory

By on

LACROSSE: The Cambridge women stole Oxford's thunder to come away with the only Light Blue victory of the day.

In the women’s lacrosse Oxford had the better start, with the crowd thinking they had scored early on, but the referee ruled that the ball had not crossed the line after clattering into the post. Another, less contentious, disallowed goal followed, and Cambridge cleared their lines happy to have held the scores level.

Still it was Oxford who took the lead, but were immediately pinned back by a goal from Alana Livesey after a silky period of play circling the goal.

Oxford again struck to make it 2-1, but Dani Allard pulled it back to level when the ball was flicked into the Oxford fan and slashed into the net. Shortly afterwards Anna Pugh clipped it in from the edge of the fan to take the score to 3-2.

Isy Foster then blocked the Dark Blue keeper’s clearance to win back possession that lead to a well-worked goal from Livesey, giving Cambridge a two-goal lead.

Two goals from Ellie Walshe – the first from a penalty; the second when the ball was lobbed forward to find her unmarked – took the scores to 6-2 at half-time and Cambridge were firmly in control.

And their domination was to continue when a goal came from Pugh after half-time, followed by an Oxford yellow card lead. Ellie Russell contributed well to help Cambridge take advantage of the man-up, and the Varsity trophy seemed in reach with at 8-2.

The Cambridge girls celebrating their win

But a comeback looked possible when a good period for Oxford lead to a goal, despite a wasted penalty. It was shot-lived, however and Cambridge hit back with a penalty from Georgie Prichard.

Each side exchanged goals to take it to 10-4 entering the final quarter. In the most even quarter of the game, Oxford pulled it back to 10-5, and then hit the post in what could have drawn scores even tighter.

But a Light Blue penalty restored the six-goal advantage. They rounded the game off with a glorious piece of passing play, moving the ball the whole length of the field with several passes to deposit the ball in the back of the net before the crowd even realised play had restarted.  A late consolation for Oxford made the final score 12-6, earning the Lacrosse girls a well-earned Varsity triumph.

In the other games of the day, the men lost 12-0, the mixed team lost 9-8 and the women’s seconds lost a thriller 6-5.

Photographs by Sonali Campion

• Real Sport

Not the only light blue victory, both men and women's fencing won too. Will somebody please recognise these hard working men and women for all they have achieved!

• Real lazy

Why don't you write about it for the tab then instead of waiting for other people to do it?

• Real Sport

Those brave men and women went out there to risk their lives fighting for their university. Thrusting and parrying potentially lethal attacks with nothing but their own honed skill, and barely any armour to protect them. Sure, it may be antiquated, but goddamn it they deserve some recognition for the majesty of their sport, and their commitment to serving this fine university we call Cambridge.

• Fencer

What cuts me deeper than the awful lacerations I received after several blows from a sabre that fateful weekend, is the fact that fencing is not respected as much as women's lacrosse. Perhaps there is something intrinsically sexier about their sport; the short skirts and the tight tops are tried and tested ways of arousing a cheap thrill. However, there is a school of thought that argues in favour of the head-to-toe covering favoured by fencers – the white armour, signifying purity and chastity, is, I believe, more sexy than any amount of flesh on display.

• Confused

Why are all these people running around with bird catching nets if there aren't any birds around?

• Absolute tank

Number 33, fittest lax girl I have ever seen. Hope she's in kit when we next have a swap with them

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By on

REVIEW: And Then There Were Nuns

Lia Johansen-Villanueva was promised cocktails and an evening of laughter. The team behind And Then There Were Nuns delivered, and even threw in a lovely furry hat.

By on

The Love of the Nightingale and violence against women

Fresher director Eva O’Flynn discusses dealing with themes of rape and abuse of women in theatre on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.

By , Contributing Editor on

How much noise should boys make in bed?

Say your own name over and over again, obviously

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it

By , Chief Reporter on

We be burnin’: Meet the golden boys who tan

Lads trip to the sunbeds anyone?

By , Features Editor on

How to come out to your parents

‘My mum hung up on me when I told her I was gay and didn’t call back for 45 minutes’

By , Features Editor on

What club photographers really think of you

A lot of editing goes into that squad Facebook photo

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s the meanest thing anyone’s ever done to you?

Everything is funny when it happens to someone else