Netball Round-Up: Week 6

NETBALL: Catch up with the latest netball action as the college league approaches a climax.

college netball downing michael alhadeff murray edwards Netball netball 6 Netball League Netball round-up Newnham round-up week 6

Downing and Murray Edwards continued to stake their title credentials in a difficult weekend on the netball courts. Due to Varsity weekend and mounting mid-term injury lists, many teams had to use perseverance to get the right result. All teams will be hoping to regain full-strength as they turn their attention towards Cuppers.

Downing 24-10 Jesus

Downing continued their fine form this term with an impressive victory over league champion Jesus. Downing were able to get on the front foot early on, using their first centre pass to gain the initial advantage and then they were able to turn the screw on their opponents by converting their centre passes for a 9-3 lead after the first quarter. The defending duo of Emma Jenkins and Celia Harrison prevented Jesus from registering on the scoreboard, intercepting Jesus shooting attempts and their feeds into the circle. Downing didn’t suffer from similar problems as Call Harris and Bea Downing worked well beneath the post. It was a victory that will send a message to other potential title chasers.

ME 27-20 John’s

Muz got their title ambitions back on track with a closely-fought victory over John’s. The first quarter was a sign of things to come as it finished 4-4, indicating that both teams had felt their way into the game. However, looking to break the parity, Muz brought on keystone Gina Dalgleish at GA and Jo Leeper at WD. It gave Muz extra impetus during the second quarter and they were able to eke out a slender advantage, but it proved difficult to shake off John’s. The Muz defence also seemed resolute with GK Paddie Ingleton delivering her best performance of the term. The teams were still tied at the end of the third quarter as a stalemate developed. But Muz were determined to set the tone for the final quarter. Despite the ferocious pace of the game, the score rate didn’t diminish with Muz holding the upper hand as they outscored a tiring John’s ten goals to five, leaving the final score 27-10.

Emma 18-16 Queens’

Emma continue to be the surprise package this term as they recorded another victory against high-flying Queens’. In a competitive game, it was the growing numbers of walking wounded which eventually meant Emma prevailed. Queens’ showed great tenacity to come back from 6-2 at  the end of the first quarter. Unfortunately, the recurrence of a knee injury for GK Tash Philpott, meant Queens’ were forced down to six players due to a lack of availability from the substitute’s bench. Emma sportingly reduced their team accordingly at half time, but were still able to hold the advantage in the score line.

Newnham 25-2 Catz

Newnham recovered from their blip last weekend to storm past Catz. Newnham put in a display which indicated they are still very much vying for top stop. Coming up against one of the league’s in-form teams was always going to be a tough test for Catz, who are still finding their feet in the division. This in part hasn’t been helped as Catz have had difficulty in putting out a full team.