Debate: Kahn He Speak? Kahn’t He Speak?

Should Dominique Strauss-Khan be speaking at The Union? ANNA MATHEW and former Union pres LAUREN DAVIDSON get busy.

The petition to scrap Dominique Strauss-Kahn from the Union’s Lent lineup has caused quite a stir – a current student and a former Union president battle it out:

ANNA MATHEW would rather see him gone.

The first resort of Strauss-Kahn defenders is ‘innocent until proven guilty’. Parroting this proves nothing except that you probably watch too much Law & Order.

Here, recourse to the presumption of innocence obscures the fact that Strauss-Kahn hasn’t actually been acquitted by a court of law; the charges against him were dropped.

Since Strauss-Kahn isn’t about to be proven guilty or innocent of rape, it is worth taking a closer look. In case it needs spelling out, respect for fundamental aspects of the law is not incompatible with critical appraisal of how they work in practice.

Neither case reached court. Questions can be and have been raised about both, but in the case of French journalist Tristane Banon, charges were dropped because the evidence of sexual assault was insufficient for a charge of attempted rape, and a charge of sexual assault was time-barred.

Strauss-Kahn admitted “sexual aggression” against Banon. Given this, the Union President’s defence that Strauss-Kahn “hasn’t been found guilty of anything and it’s not up to us to judge him” is wilfully blind. Strauss-Kahn has committed at least one known sexual assault for which he cannot be prosecuted.

The inescapable conclusion is that, despite the fact that better economists could have been invited to speak, the Union is happier to cosy up to the one who isn’t most famous for being an economist. In fact, go look at the latest breaking news regarding Strauss-Kahn (hint: it’s not about economics).

I am, moreover, curious about how it “challenge[s] the presumptions and prejudices of a wide range of ideas” (from https://www.cus.org/about) to allow a powerful, rich, white man to rehabilitate his reputation following attacks from that traditional bastion of privilege, immigrant workers in the service industries.

The response to the announcement gives the lie to the idea that Strauss-Kahn was invited purely for his economic credentials. Exploiting rape survivors to garner controversy is wrong. The Union has its publicity, but at what cost?

If you’re in any doubt as to the actual effect of Strauss-Kahn’s continuing notoriety, look at the reporting in the Telegraph and even The Tab. The idea that rape is a sex act, not a crime, is played up to by both.

We should expect more from institutions purporting to represent us: more respect for the vulnerable in the Union’s commitment to “the basic principles of free speech and open debate”; more care from our newspapers. Most of all, we should expect more from each other and of ourselves.

When we are told that our words and actions, however innocent, marginalise people who have already been victimised once, we must pay attention. With that in mind, I hope the Union will listen when we tell them that it has erred in welcoming and legitimising this self-styled ‘Great Seducer’.

____

Former Union President LAUREN DAVIDSON wants him in.

Ex-head of the IMF, former long-standing French government minister, once favourite to win this year’s presidential election in France, alleged sexual assaulter.

I know what sounds the most interesting to me, although the Women’s Campaign would have you think differently.

I needn’t spell out that the Union exists to provide a platform for free speech and debate where the most important and interesting issues of the day can be tackled in an open and intellectual environment.

The global economic meltdown, particularly in the Eurozone, and the upcoming French election are two of the hottest and most relevant topics on 2012’s tongue – and DSK is a prime candidate to address both issues and allow the Union’s membership to engage with a leading authority.

Yet the letter from the Women’s Campaign goes so far to say that the Union invited DSK because of his alleged criminal notoriety, not just in spite of it.

But the crucial question to ask is: would he be a topical, interesting and significant speaker if eyebrows had never been raised in his direction? The answer is a resounding yes.

An obvious case in point is Julian Assange, who addressed the Cambridge Union Society less than a year ago. Members queued around the block for hours to hear and engage with Assange – not because he was facing allegations of sexual assault, but because of his involvement with Wikileaks.

The same principle must apply to DSK.

The Women’s Campaign, of course, raises a valid point as to the questionable nature of DSK’s private life – and it would be incongruous of the Union not to welcome and encourage the right of others to express their opinion.

But the Campaign undoes itself by harping on at the Union yet again, accusing the Society of limiting itself to “inviting rich, white, powerful men to define [its] termcard” – despite the advances made to redress this balance. In the past year, three of four presidents have been women, the Union now has a designated women’s officer and the number of female speakers this term is twice that of Michaelmas.

The Women’s Campaign accuses the Union of sexualising and trivialising topics relating to women’s issues – despite debate topics in the last year including the face veil, the effects of pornography, LGBT issues, marriage, positive discrimination and the perils of the fashion industry.

It’s clear that Strauss-Kahn is a key speaker this term for his impressive professional resume (although I can see why some would take issue with the other credentials attached to his name) and that the Union has in no way invited him for any other reason than his political and economic prowess.

If some fail to see past the allegations made against DSK, then that is up to them. But others will be fascinated to meet Strauss-Kahn and hear what he has to say, and they shouldn’t be stripped of the privilege.

• Tactics

An issue the feminists could persue is the security risk of allowing a possiblly wonton sexual predator in the Union Building, and presumably dinner and bar, mingling with vulnerable 18 year old girls.

• Satire or Hysteria?

I just can't tell.

• Tactics

satire, but could be used

• King Charles Dimange

i believe in freedom of anus. the ability to move ones anus at one's desire. goodnight and goodday !

• Emi Dunn

Guys, lets chill out. Obviously he hasn't raped or even assaulted anyone, there's absolutely no conclusive evidence and it's ridiculous you'd start this witch hunt against a kind and doting father and husband whose only crime was that he loved the IMF a bit too much. It's clear Sarkozy orchestrated the whole thing to taint his reputation. Peace out, lets stop the hatin'

• Eoin

After Lauren posted a link to this piece on Twitter, and I complained to the Channel5 prog the Wrightstuff that the Union and University were separate, so it wasn't as they were saying, the University 'after publicity' for the talk.

Also, if everyone ever accused of anything was barred from doing anything, how boring the place would be. He has not been found guilty of anything yet. Just because the prosecution say they have evidence. Evidence has been disproved (granted not that often AFAIK in such cases as DSK is accused of) before, no?

Anyway, I'm now according to some cat loving blogger a spokesman for the Union (because I'm a member that he/she took umbridge with because I raised the innocent until proven guilty, and seemingly no other person was seen commenting on it.

Apparently I don't want to see DSK for his previous achievements, (this was never raised in the discussion between us, but hey..) and I now find our entire conversation posted in a blog he/she has constructed on the whole 'DSK is EVIL' thing.

Another reminder not to react to trolls/feminists.

• Feminist

Please reconsider your 'reminder'. I'm a feminist and I definitely think that DSK should remain invited, free speech is important, and it isn't the place of the union to be the moral judge of its speakers. 'Legitimising' is not what will happen if an illegitimate figure is heard by a discerning audience.

Feminism is important, it's come a long way but there's so much further to go before we're truly equal. Please don't take misguided feminist concerns as a reason to write off the movement as a whole. Some of us are on your side.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

So long as anti-Semitism is dismissed, Cambridge cannot endorse the NUS

It’s not right that the voices of thousands of Jewish students across the country are playing second fiddle.

Do we really hate each other?

Are the haters really gonna hate hate hate?

The Cambridge Easter Term Bucket List

Finding the fun in the joyless.

, National Editor

Sadiq Khan ‘has won’ the London mayoral election

It’s basically all wrapped up now

,        

How to pamper yourself after exams

It’s never too soon to start planning

, National Editor

A new study undermines one of Jeremy Hunt’s big arguments for changing junior doctor contracts

‘Extending services is not going to save any more lives’

I went to an outdoor gym and it made me feel like a caveman

You haven’t felt manly till you’ve flipped a truck tyre in Shoreditch

Justin Timberlake has just released the obligatory ‘song of the summer’

You’re going to really hate this in a few months

Oxford University will not expel Rhodes Must Fall founder

42,000 people called for his bursary to be revoked