Lax Ladies Storm Into BUCS Final

LACROSSE: Ahead of their Varsity match on Saturday, the Cambridge ladies build up momentum with a roaring semi-final victory against Bristol.

The Lacrosse Ladies took on Bristol in their BUCS semi-finals last week, knowing their opponents would be out for revenge. With three internationals on their team, a win was always going to be a tough ask.

The first ten minutes saw Cambridge’s best start this season.  Goals from Laura Plant, Alana Livesey and Anna Pugh allowing the Light Blues to storm into a 4-1 lead.

After a Bristol time out they came back fighting and put two in the back of the net to make it 4-3.  Another Cambridge goal came when Alice Bush made a fast break off the draw and it looked like the Blues were back on top. However, Bristol fought hard and showed the class everyone knew they were capable of to draw it back to 5-5 at half time.

Having regrouped during the interval, Cambridge came out fighting but the start of the second half was closely contested, with goals at both ends. With eight minutes to go Cambridge found themselves two goals down. But the blues showed composure and demonstrated the standard of lacrosse they will need on Saturday if they are to beat Oxford. Two extremely well set up goals from captain Livesey and Dani Allard in the last few minutes made it 9-9 at full time.

A tense period of extra-time followed. Feeling that the momentum had switched in their favour, Cambridge believed they could win it, but Bristol definitely hadn’t given up. Early in the second half of extra-time Livesey struck with a spectacular goal to put the Light Blues 10-9 up.

Cambridge managed to hold onto the ball in attack, aided by the sending-off of the Bristol goalkeeper, and hung on for the victory that will send them into the BUCS final against Birmingham on the 15th March.

They now turn their attention to The Other Place, with the Lacrosse Varsity fixtures on Saturday 25th February in Oxford.  The Kingfishers kick things off at 11.45am before the Blues battle it out at 2.30pm at Oxford University Parks.

There are still spaces on the supporters’ bus, email lacrosseandnetballvarsity2012@gmail.com to secure your spot.

• Hugo Cobb

There was definite tongue!

• Self-mention

Another Cambridge goal came when Alice Bush made a fast break off the draw and it looked like the Blues were back on top.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Cambridge Editor

BREAKING: CUSU passes motion for NUS referendum

FINALLY we have an answer.

How to attend a supervision without doing any of the work

Hungover? Tired? Just plain lazy? We got you.

Caesarian Sunday-ers of the week

Like Clubbers of the week, but messier. Oh so messier.

, Chief Reporter

There’s a petition for the Rhodes Must Fall leader to have his scholarship revoked

It already has more than 27,000 signatures

, National Editor

‘I tore up the rose she’d sent’: The secret stories from your most awkward break-ups

Confessions of relationships that went wrong

How much money do you owe your parents right now?

We asked people how in debt they are to the ‘Bank of Mum and Dad’

London now has a halls of residence for grown-ups

It’s exactly as awful as it sounds

Running has pulled me out of my anxiety and misery

I was a miserable wreck until I found my cure

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

There is a campaign to provide sanitary bins in male toilets for trans students

28,000 trans students need our support