Lax Ladies Storm Into BUCS Final

LACROSSE: Ahead of their Varsity match on Saturday, the Cambridge ladies build up momentum with a roaring semi-final victory against Bristol.

The Lacrosse Ladies took on Bristol in their BUCS semi-finals last week, knowing their opponents would be out for revenge. With three internationals on their team, a win was always going to be a tough ask.

The first ten minutes saw Cambridge’s best start this season.  Goals from Laura Plant, Alana Livesey and Anna Pugh allowing the Light Blues to storm into a 4-1 lead.

After a Bristol time out they came back fighting and put two in the back of the net to make it 4-3.  Another Cambridge goal came when Alice Bush made a fast break off the draw and it looked like the Blues were back on top. However, Bristol fought hard and showed the class everyone knew they were capable of to draw it back to 5-5 at half time.

Having regrouped during the interval, Cambridge came out fighting but the start of the second half was closely contested, with goals at both ends. With eight minutes to go Cambridge found themselves two goals down. But the blues showed composure and demonstrated the standard of lacrosse they will need on Saturday if they are to beat Oxford. Two extremely well set up goals from captain Livesey and Dani Allard in the last few minutes made it 9-9 at full time.

A tense period of extra-time followed. Feeling that the momentum had switched in their favour, Cambridge believed they could win it, but Bristol definitely hadn’t given up. Early in the second half of extra-time Livesey struck with a spectacular goal to put the Light Blues 10-9 up.

Cambridge managed to hold onto the ball in attack, aided by the sending-off of the Bristol goalkeeper, and hung on for the victory that will send them into the BUCS final against Birmingham on the 15th March.

They now turn their attention to The Other Place, with the Lacrosse Varsity fixtures on Saturday 25th February in Oxford.  The Kingfishers kick things off at 11.45am before the Blues battle it out at 2.30pm at Oxford University Parks.

There are still spaces on the supporters’ bus, email lacrosseandnetballvarsity2012@gmail.com to secure your spot.

• Hugo Cobb

There was definite tongue!

• Self-mention

Another Cambridge goal came when Alice Bush made a fast break off the draw and it looked like the Blues were back on top.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Cambridge Editor

Could you be the next Tab mafia boss?

We’re recruiting Senior Editors for Michaelmas 2016

How to be a creeper

To bae or not to bae

Cambridge nightlife is changing for the better

From Strawberries and Creem to renting out pub basements: the possibilities are limitless.

, Assistant Editor

Putlocker has been blocked by internet service providers

Goodbye, old friend

Your gym leggings might be causing you health problems

At least they make you look cool

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Can you guess whether these people are pro-Brexit?

See if they’re innies or outies based on their outfit

Can you guess the price of these Waitrose ‘Essentials’?

You paid how much for Ardennes Pâté?

, Argument Editor

Forget London, I’m moving to Bath

It’s better in every single way