Reasons to be Cheerful in Week 5

By on

The dreaded week has struck, but POPPY MORRIS is at hand to give you reasons to turn that frown upside down.

We are half way through week five.

Good job, everyone. In the metaphorical Cambridge marathon, we are attacking that sweaty hill when the blisters kick in and the jelly-leg syndrome gets critical. The remedy of choice, sleeping for several days on the white sand of a far-flung island, is out of the question. In need of some light relief, I would have to look nearer to home.

There must be some local distractions to our very own Blues: something that won’t take you more than ten minutes from the nearest library. It was time to hit the streets.

First, I needed fuel. My gyp’s paltry offerings  wouldn’t do, and clearly detecting our depression, all the Innocent smoothies are reduced ( £1 for a small, 2 for £5 on the biggies) while their magnificent Veg Pots are also half price. One simple lunch, all of your Five-A-Day. May your tired bodies zing with vitamins.

Guilt-free treats (cringe)

Shrove Tuesday is meant to help us use up our gyp crumbs, and I found an expert: the Cambridge Crepes van. A cheeky Charlie and his two smiley Angels were pumped up with cheer for the lucrative week ahead. Their recommendations for pancake day? A cheese, egg and sweetcorn pancake (which may be an omelette in disguise?) was their surprising savoury favourite, while in the sweet stakes there was a Nutella/ white chocolate and strawberry crepe-off. My solution: head over to the Sidney St mobile creperie and make their week.

A yummy detour

Hippie-types might like us to visit our Happy Place to overcome Week Five, and anything’s worth a go in the name of procrastination. I am personally  a fan of big open spaces, it explains my tendency to be the first one dancing at bops. Following this template, I headed to King’s chapel in the middle of the day to track down some elusive ‘space’.  However exhausted I might feel, I bet I’ve got nothing on the men who hefted that organ into place. Wherever you choose, now is the perfect time to pay a visit as only the most enthusiastic tourists brave the chilly winter winds.

Worse than the UL

Being a Sidneyite, the Jolly Scholar restaurant of King St is on my route to lectures. Sometimes I see a man painting a large canvas outside. In the name of Week Five Distraction, I approached him. His name is Francis Jeans and despite being rather surprised that a stranger in a novelty jumper wanted to chat, he was happy to show me his latest work, a scene of Jolly diners. To see more of his work please visit If you’re ever nearby watch out for his bike and brush. Turns out he’s somewhat of a local celebrity, having held four exhibitions here in as well as featuring in the National Portrait Gallery. Seeing other people’s projects develop, especially when they’re as good as his, just might be enough artistic inspiration to push you through to Thursday.

Visit local celebs

Nobody likes Week Five, but all is not lost. Take a mini-break away from the book stacks and rediscover our (quite) Big City. Who knows what’s waiting out there.

• Farhan

My stomach hurts a lot

• Wonderful humour

Not only are the smoothies 2 for a fiver, but they give you 2 out of your five fruit/veg a day. This observation induced me to laughter for at least half an hour solid. I am uncertain why you didn't make this the centrepiece of your article. I suppose you can't be as fun as I am.

• Smooth

This is actually the most expensive Innocent smoothies have been all term, having previously been BOGOF and then 2 for £4… As you can tell, my life is really interesting.

Heard something on campus?

By on

Tab tries: Horoscopes. Again.

Horoscopic advice from astrological wizard Patrick Wilson.

By , Deputy Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

Tab TV on power: trousers, hair volume and why you should fuck the patriarchy

Alice Pavey out on the mean streets of Cambridge. Sidney St, that is.

By , Sheffield Editor of The Tab on

Sheffield Why the word hun is over

U ok hun

By , Chief Reporter on

Stars of Hollyoaks: Where are they now?

OB even went back to uni

By , Features Editor on

A dieting and exercise app made me relapse into anorexia

Sarah only got better when a therapist finally convinced her to delete it from her phone

By , Tab reporter on

Durham Meet the Instafamous third year who gets paid to go on holiday by ASOS

If you haven’t got a five figure following, who even are you?

By , Chief Reporter on

Meet the stripper who pole dances on the London Underground

She didn’t even clean the poles first

By , Chief Reporter on

If you’re homesick by now, university just isn’t for you

Going home after three weeks? You won’t last three years