Reasons to be Cheerful in Week 5

The dreaded week has struck, but POPPY MORRIS is at hand to give you reasons to turn that frown upside down.

Art beating the blues bops cmabirdge depression happy kings chapel loss love pancake day. shrove tuesday sad week 5 blues

We are half way through week five.

Good job, everyone. In the metaphorical Cambridge marathon, we are attacking that sweaty hill when the blisters kick in and the jelly-leg syndrome gets critical. The remedy of choice, sleeping for several days on the white sand of a far-flung island, is out of the question. In need of some light relief, I would have to look nearer to home.

There must be some local distractions to our very own Blues: something that won’t take you more than ten minutes from the nearest library. It was time to hit the streets.

Food

First, I needed fuel. My gyp’s paltry offerings  wouldn’t do, and clearly detecting our depression, all the Innocent smoothies are reduced ( £1 for a small, 2 for £5 on the biggies) while their magnificent Veg Pots are also half price. One simple lunch, all of your Five-A-Day. May your tired bodies zing with vitamins.

Guilt-free treats (cringe)

Shrove Tuesday is meant to help us use up our gyp crumbs, and I found an expert: the Cambridge Crepes van. A cheeky Charlie and his two smiley Angels were pumped up with cheer for the lucrative week ahead. Their recommendations for pancake day? A cheese, egg and sweetcorn pancake (which may be an omelette in disguise?) was their surprising savoury favourite, while in the sweet stakes there was a Nutella/ white chocolate and strawberry crepe-off. My solution: head over to the Sidney St mobile creperie and make their week.

A yummy detour

Environment

Hippie-types might like us to visit our Happy Place to overcome Week Five, and anything’s worth a go in the name of procrastination. I am personally  a fan of big open spaces, it explains my tendency to be the first one dancing at bops. Following this template, I headed to King’s chapel in the middle of the day to track down some elusive ‘space’.  However exhausted I might feel, I bet I’ve got nothing on the men who hefted that organ into place. Wherever you choose, now is the perfect time to pay a visit as only the most enthusiastic tourists brave the chilly winter winds.

Worse than the UL

Inspiration

Being a Sidneyite, the Jolly Scholar restaurant of King St is on my route to lectures. Sometimes I see a man painting a large canvas outside. In the name of Week Five Distraction, I approached him. His name is Francis Jeans and despite being rather surprised that a stranger in a novelty jumper wanted to chat, he was happy to show me his latest work, a scene of Jolly diners. To see more of his work please visit www.francisjeans.com. If you’re ever nearby watch out for his bike and brush. Turns out he’s somewhat of a local celebrity, having held four exhibitions here in as well as featuring in the National Portrait Gallery. Seeing other people’s projects develop, especially when they’re as good as his, just might be enough artistic inspiration to push you through to Thursday.

Visit local celebs

Nobody likes Week Five, but all is not lost. Take a mini-break away from the book stacks and rediscover our (quite) Big City. Who knows what’s waiting out there.