Theatre Guide Dog: Week 5

THE THEATRE GUIDE DOG is tired of all your crying.

As the infamous week looms over us, I feel it is my duty to combat your pathetic self-prophetic colour-coding.

I shall instead take this opportunity to revel in the colour yellow. Stop feeling so fucking sorry for yourselves, it’s only one of the most stressful educational institutions on the planet. Here are some facts to start you off:

1) Coldplay performed their hit “Yellow” at the “Celebrating Steve” event at Apple in memory of Steve Jobs in October 2011. When Coldplay first performed the song for Jobs ten years earlier, he had said it was “shit” and that “they would never make it”.

2) The term “yellow movie” (????) can refer to films of pornographic nature in Chinese culture, and is analogous to the English “blue movie”.

3) Yellow is an effective colour to surround yourself with when studying, as it has a stimulating effect on the mind. See how good I am to you?

Wolfson Howler – 20th February only

Kicking off a week of misguided belief that the best antidote for stress and anxiety is LOLZ. But it does feature Josh Widdicombe, whoever that is.

Wolfson College Bar, 8.30pm £5

Corpus Smoker – 20th February only

Another chance to laugh away your blues, if you missed the start of the Howler (or decided to leave early). This one has both a Pierre Novellie and audience prizes/awards.

Corpus Playroom, 9.30pm £5-6

Les Justes – 21st-25th February

Now this is more like it. Watch people get angry and stressy about killing people and blowing things up. Also the possibility of Russian accents. Probably not, but one always hopes.

Corpus Playroom, 7pm £5-6

The Priory – 21st-25th February

Middle-class people ingesting alcohol and cocaine get angry at each other. Still a comedy, though.

ADC, 7.45pm £6-10

A Midsummer Night’s Dream – 21st-25th February

Even the more cultured offering insists on being “funny” this week. However, it has been rehearsed twice as much as your average Cambridge show. And is accordingly thrice as expensive.

Cambridge Arts Theatre, 7.45pm £15-25

Pilot – 21st-25th February

MEANWHILE, in an AEROPLANE, MORE funny things happen.

Corpus Playroom, 9.30pm £5-6

Write-Offs: A Sketch Show – 21st-24th February

Watch people being funny about being funny. It’s all very clever.

Christ’s Yusuf Hamied Theatre, 9.30pm £4-5

Some Enchanted Evening – 21st February only

Superficial sugariness in heavily condensed chunks. Think having fudge rammed down your throat after a particularly nasty breakup.

ADC, 11pm £5-6

The Seventh Seal – 22nd-25th February

Get dark, cultural and broody in the ADC with Ingmar Bergman. Get excited: this could mean the ADC’s weekly cocktail contains seven separate ingredients.

ADC, 11pm £4-6

Die Fledermaus – 23rd-25th February

Even the opera people are being cheerful; is there no hope? Still, claims that it involves Made in Chelsea in some way could still leave room for some healthy Schadenfreude. 

West Road Concert Hall, 8pm/2pm £10-16

• Good dog.

The yellow thing made me smile. :)

• Funkasaurus

Somebody call my momma!

• Mr Brodus Clay

Did I say that out loud? Mah bad

• Funaksaurus

sheee

• constable table

This column is like Camdram but with unhelpful descriptions and snide remarks.

Heard something newsworthy?

Cambridge has a huge class problem

You don’t need to be embarrassed if you grew up in a house with a dining room.

Tab Top Ten: Date Spots

Just in time for Valentine’s Day, we bring you Cambridge’s bestest hangouts for the perfect romantic date.

, Assistant Editor, The Tab

Every conversation you’ve ever had on your family Whatsapp group

Why does Dad use so many full stops?

, Argument Editor

Every awkward moment after a couple in your friendship group break up

Is it acceptable to start a new WhatsApp group without him in it?

Experts say you shouldn’t ride elephants in Thailand

A tourist was killed, and the animals are often unhappy

, Contributing Editor

More people should tell Chris Martin that he’s awful

It’s the right thing to do

, Chief Reporter

Sushi could be the key to getting a second date on Valentine’s Day

Is raw fish really an aphrodisiac?