Football Fluster in Newcastle

By , News Editor on

Unbelievable scenes at Newcastle Uni as footballs teams have had to change their names after allegations of sexism.

Newcastle football teams have been forced to change names after complaints of sexism. 

The two teams, Shakthar Last Night and Shagther Senseless, were made to change their names to Shakthar LN and Shakthar FC after action taken by the Student Union.

Gender Equality and Welfare Officers intervened after a complaint was sent in by one male student. The letter, which took offence from the ‘inherent sexism of the name,’ kicked off the move to get them altered.

‘The sexist joke of ‘shagging senseless’ is not only derogatory and offensive to women,’ said the letter, ‘but also to those of us who find such humour as contributing to the macho and crass ‘lad culture‘ which is sadly associated with football.’

The matter was then picked up by the Student Union, who stated that ‘the university have promised to take more care with intermural team names and have promised that such names will not be used again.’

Unbelievable scenes: Newcastle Uni teams made to change names

The manager of Shagther Senseless replied by saying ‘to be honest we didn’t mean to offend anyone but if people find it offensive then we apologise for this and move on with a new name.’

Second year Cantab Nick Marshall said in response that ‘it’s not really fair play to involve the Student Union after only one complaint. It now seems like a bit of an overreaction.’

While Shakthar Last Night and Shagther Senseless now have new names, other Newcastle teams Dyslexic Untied, Queens of Everything, and Sex Panthers Athletic are still playing, names intact.

• Inter

• Oooooh

Oh, Nick Marshall!

• TPJurassic

Football is a shit sport. I spend my time studying Zoology instead – in particular Behavioural Ecology!

• Harry Fuckman

• Matty McBroide

Boys boys boys I love a bit of footy but not as much as a pint of guinness and good beau in donegal.

• Jamie Crawford

8.5/10 team names

• Cool!

A new 'thing'! All the best, friend!

• Inanity

At what point did you hear this news and think "I need to spend some precious time writing an article about this"?

• Alan Gabriel

I sense potential for recursion in that question.

• Wesley

I don't think Shakthar Last Night and Shagther Senseless names are more offensive than Queens of Everything and Sex Panthers Athletic. Student Union should pay more attention.

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

The Union Presidential Elections: The Tab interviews Sachin and Charlotte

We asked the Union presidential candidates why you should vote for them

By on

Finn McRedmond Week 7: Stop being a tragedy hipster

Morality isn’t about being cool

By on

Review: Be Waffle

ANNA WHITE has a wonderful break at Be Waffle

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it

By , Chief Reporter on

We be burnin’: Meet the golden boys who tan

Lads trip to the sunbeds anyone?

By , Features Editor on

How to come out to your parents

‘My mum hung up on me when I told her I was gay and didn’t call back for 45 minutes’

By , Features Editor on

What club photographers really think of you

A lot of editing goes into that squad Facebook photo

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s the meanest thing anyone’s ever done to you?

Everything is funny when it happens to someone else