Football Fluster in Newcastle

Unbelievable scenes at Newcastle Uni as footballs teams have had to change their names after allegations of sexism.

allegations banter complaint football gender harry shukman lad culture Lads letter macho name newcastle offensive sexism shagging student union

Newcastle football teams have been forced to change names after complaints of sexism. 

The two teams, Shakthar Last Night and Shagther Senseless, were made to change their names to Shakthar LN and Shakthar FC after action taken by the Student Union.

Gender Equality and Welfare Officers intervened after a complaint was sent in by one male student. The letter, which took offence from the ‘inherent sexism of the name,’ kicked off the move to get them altered.

‘The sexist joke of ‘shagging senseless’ is not only derogatory and offensive to women,’ said the letter, ‘but also to those of us who find such humour as contributing to the macho and crass ‘lad culture‘ which is sadly associated with football.’

The matter was then picked up by the Student Union, who stated that ‘the university have promised to take more care with intermural team names and have promised that such names will not be used again.’

Unbelievable scenes: Newcastle Uni teams made to change names

The manager of Shagther Senseless replied by saying ‘to be honest we didn’t mean to offend anyone but if people find it offensive then we apologise for this and move on with a new name.’

Second year Cantab Nick Marshall said in response that ‘it’s not really fair play to involve the Student Union after only one complaint. It now seems like a bit of an overreaction.’

While Shakthar Last Night and Shagther Senseless now have new names, other Newcastle teams Dyslexic Untied, Queens of Everything, and Sex Panthers Athletic are still playing, names intact.