Blues vs Bedford

FOOTBALL: A six-point Wednesday puts both Cambridge teams on course for historic league success.

Ask the Blues what they hope for when they wake up on the morning of a game and they’ll all tell you the same: six-point Wednesdays. Skipper Paul Hartley believes the Blues and Falcons are a united squad who feed off each other’s success, and it seems that that is exactly what is happening.

Wins yesterday for both teams sets up the possibility of a momentous double league triumph. The Blues thrashed Bedford 1sts 4-0 away from home with another hat-trick from goalscoring machine Danny Kerrigan. Meanwhile in Leicester the Falcons came away with a 2-0 win to close the gap on league leaders Anglia Ruskin.

‘Goalscoring machine’ Kerrigan in action

With the snow finally gone, there were no signs of a loss of momentum for the Blues as free-flowing football characterised the opening exchanges in Bedford. The impressive start culminated in a chance for Danny Kerrigan which he duly slotted away to give Cambridge the lead.

Bedford barely had the chance to recover before a cross came in and was poked into their net by Rick Totten, putting the Blues 2-0 up at half-time. Far from being comfortable, however, both teams had shown off some of their best football to set up an entertaining second-half.

After the break James May showed his flair with a darting run through the Bedford midfield before playing it in to Kerrigan to bundle in to the net. But the referee ruled that the striker had handled it and so the advantage stayed at two.

Kerrigan, incensed by the decision, set the balance right straight away with a good break and sharp finish to take it to 3-0. And then after more sustained pressure the ball popped up to Kerrigan, who duly smashed a volley into the back of the net on the turn and earned the match-ball in the process.

The victory ended Bedford’s title hopes, and now only Coventry can catch the Blues. The Blues have a four point lead over them with two games remaining, meaning the title is within touching distance. For the Falcons, they now have a two point lead over Anglia Ruskin at the top of their division, but the local rivals have two games in hand.

You can follow live updates and more from the Blues on their Twitter page; @CUAFC

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Cambridge Editor

BREAKING: CUSU passes motion for NUS referendum

FINALLY we have an answer.

How to attend a supervision without doing any of the work

Hungover? Tired? Just plain lazy? We got you.

Caesarian Sunday-ers of the week

Like Clubbers of the week, but messier. Oh so messier.

, Chief Reporter

There’s a petition for the Rhodes Must Fall leader to have his scholarship revoked

It already has more than 27,000 signatures

, National Editor

‘I tore up the rose she’d sent’: The secret stories from your most awkward break-ups

Confessions of relationships that went wrong

How much money do you owe your parents right now?

We asked people how in debt they are to the ‘Bank of Mum and Dad’

London now has a halls of residence for grown-ups

It’s exactly as awful as it sounds

Running has pulled me out of my anxiety and misery

I was a miserable wreck until I found my cure

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

There is a campaign to provide sanitary bins in male toilets for trans students

28,000 trans students need our support