Blues vs Bedford

By on

FOOTBALL: A six-point Wednesday puts both Cambridge teams on course for historic league success.

Ask the Blues what they hope for when they wake up on the morning of a game and they’ll all tell you the same: six-point Wednesdays. Skipper Paul Hartley believes the Blues and Falcons are a united squad who feed off each other’s success, and it seems that that is exactly what is happening.

Wins yesterday for both teams sets up the possibility of a momentous double league triumph. The Blues thrashed Bedford 1sts 4-0 away from home with another hat-trick from goalscoring machine Danny Kerrigan. Meanwhile in Leicester the Falcons came away with a 2-0 win to close the gap on league leaders Anglia Ruskin.

‘Goalscoring machine’ Kerrigan in action

With the snow finally gone, there were no signs of a loss of momentum for the Blues as free-flowing football characterised the opening exchanges in Bedford. The impressive start culminated in a chance for Danny Kerrigan which he duly slotted away to give Cambridge the lead.

Bedford barely had the chance to recover before a cross came in and was poked into their net by Rick Totten, putting the Blues 2-0 up at half-time. Far from being comfortable, however, both teams had shown off some of their best football to set up an entertaining second-half.

After the break James May showed his flair with a darting run through the Bedford midfield before playing it in to Kerrigan to bundle in to the net. But the referee ruled that the striker had handled it and so the advantage stayed at two.

Kerrigan, incensed by the decision, set the balance right straight away with a good break and sharp finish to take it to 3-0. And then after more sustained pressure the ball popped up to Kerrigan, who duly smashed a volley into the back of the net on the turn and earned the match-ball in the process.

The victory ended Bedford’s title hopes, and now only Coventry can catch the Blues. The Blues have a four point lead over them with two games remaining, meaning the title is within touching distance. For the Falcons, they now have a two point lead over Anglia Ruskin at the top of their division, but the local rivals have two games in hand.

You can follow live updates and more from the Blues on their Twitter page; @CUAFC

• Jack Hernandez

lol it actually is illegal if your selling it without cream, that is the only reason it is legal to sell for consumption, to make whipped cream.

• rebecca

wtf most of these outfits are rather ordinary

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By ,         on

Tab writers: Where are they now?

They were the ones who insisted they’d stop writing when you stopped reading

By on

REVIEW: 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche

5 lesbians. 1 quiche. What could go wrong? Almost everything, Dani Cugini discovers, in this hilarious play.

By , Chief Reporter on

The one that got away: An interview with Caggie Dunlop

She doesn’t even watch Made in Chelsea any more

By , Royal Holloway Guide Features Editor of The Tab on

A former London bus driver tells us why he decided to work for Uber instead

He genuinely didn’t see you running for the bus

By on

Getting paid for Instagram posts: How easy is it?

Lexi Harvey asks the social media starlets posting their freebies

By , Chief Reporter on

Taking a photo with Eddie Redmayne at work got me sacked

He was fired on his day off from All Saints for meeting his hero

By , Head of Marketing on

Revealed: Nottingham’s Andy Hoe is the best promoter in the UK

He got almost half of the overall vote

By , Deputy Editor on

I wore an ‘I love consent’ t-shirt on a night out

Consent is sexy