Blues vs Bedford

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

FOOTBALL: A six-point Wednesday puts both Cambridge teams on course for historic league success.

Ask the Blues what they hope for when they wake up on the morning of a game and they’ll all tell you the same: six-point Wednesdays. Skipper Paul Hartley believes the Blues and Falcons are a united squad who feed off each other’s success, and it seems that that is exactly what is happening.

Wins yesterday for both teams sets up the possibility of a momentous double league triumph. The Blues thrashed Bedford 1sts 4-0 away from home with another hat-trick from goalscoring machine Danny Kerrigan. Meanwhile in Leicester the Falcons came away with a 2-0 win to close the gap on league leaders Anglia Ruskin.

‘Goalscoring machine’ Kerrigan in action

With the snow finally gone, there were no signs of a loss of momentum for the Blues as free-flowing football characterised the opening exchanges in Bedford. The impressive start culminated in a chance for Danny Kerrigan which he duly slotted away to give Cambridge the lead.

Bedford barely had the chance to recover before a cross came in and was poked into their net by Rick Totten, putting the Blues 2-0 up at half-time. Far from being comfortable, however, both teams had shown off some of their best football to set up an entertaining second-half.

After the break James May showed his flair with a darting run through the Bedford midfield before playing it in to Kerrigan to bundle in to the net. But the referee ruled that the striker had handled it and so the advantage stayed at two.

Kerrigan, incensed by the decision, set the balance right straight away with a good break and sharp finish to take it to 3-0. And then after more sustained pressure the ball popped up to Kerrigan, who duly smashed a volley into the back of the net on the turn and earned the match-ball in the process.

The victory ended Bedford’s title hopes, and now only Coventry can catch the Blues. The Blues have a four point lead over them with two games remaining, meaning the title is within touching distance. For the Falcons, they now have a two point lead over Anglia Ruskin at the top of their division, but the local rivals have two games in hand.

You can follow live updates and more from the Blues on their Twitter page; @CUAFC

Facebook Twitter
  • Jack Hernandez

lol it actually is illegal if your selling it without cream, that is the only reason it is legal to sell for consumption, to make whipped cream.

• rebecca

wtf most of these outfits are rather ordinary

Heard something on campus?

By , Tab reporter on

Emily Maitlis has everyone’s dream job

You know you’ve made it when you’re invited back to speak at the Union

By on

REVIEW: Beluga

Flo Best and Ellen McGrath had a whale of a time and surprisingly learned a bit about belugas along the way.

By on

Corpus playroom’s small theatre space lends itself to the intense feeling of claustrophobia in LAUNCH.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’