Blues vs Bedford

FOOTBALL: A six-point Wednesday puts both Cambridge teams on course for historic league success.

Ask the Blues what they hope for when they wake up on the morning of a game and they’ll all tell you the same: six-point Wednesdays. Skipper Paul Hartley believes the Blues and Falcons are a united squad who feed off each other’s success, and it seems that that is exactly what is happening.

Wins yesterday for both teams sets up the possibility of a momentous double league triumph. The Blues thrashed Bedford 1sts 4-0 away from home with another hat-trick from goalscoring machine Danny Kerrigan. Meanwhile in Leicester the Falcons came away with a 2-0 win to close the gap on league leaders Anglia Ruskin.

‘Goalscoring machine’ Kerrigan in action

With the snow finally gone, there were no signs of a loss of momentum for the Blues as free-flowing football characterised the opening exchanges in Bedford. The impressive start culminated in a chance for Danny Kerrigan which he duly slotted away to give Cambridge the lead.

Bedford barely had the chance to recover before a cross came in and was poked into their net by Rick Totten, putting the Blues 2-0 up at half-time. Far from being comfortable, however, both teams had shown off some of their best football to set up an entertaining second-half.

After the break James May showed his flair with a darting run through the Bedford midfield before playing it in to Kerrigan to bundle in to the net. But the referee ruled that the striker had handled it and so the advantage stayed at two.

Kerrigan, incensed by the decision, set the balance right straight away with a good break and sharp finish to take it to 3-0. And then after more sustained pressure the ball popped up to Kerrigan, who duly smashed a volley into the back of the net on the turn and earned the match-ball in the process.

The victory ended Bedford’s title hopes, and now only Coventry can catch the Blues. The Blues have a four point lead over them with two games remaining, meaning the title is within touching distance. For the Falcons, they now have a two point lead over Anglia Ruskin at the top of their division, but the local rivals have two games in hand.

You can follow live updates and more from the Blues on their Twitter page; @CUAFC

Heard something newsworthy?

Long live lad culture, tits, bevs and banter

Sick of hearing about lad culture in Cambridge? So am I, but as the Wyverns’ latin motto translates, “He who is as hung as a horse may flog a dead one”. As many ladies can testify I am fucking packing. This is your boy Hugh.

, Chief Reporter

If Notting Hill were remade today, where would it be set?

Dalston? Clapham? What about Brixton?

, Contributing Editor

The soul of London is visible through an unlikely window: Chicken Cottage

It’s a place that makes us all the same

, Contributing Editor

Quiz: Are you a creative?

You’re so Van Gogh right now

, Chief Reporter

You’re supposed to have met ‘the one’ by 25. But what if you haven’t?

We asked a relationship expert

Sarah Koenig is back reporting on Adnan Syed

At the retrial, a woman has told the court she was dissuaded from providing an alibi

, Contributing Editor

Ben Stiller murdered the entire concept of the selfie last night

But at least he set a new Guinness World Record in the process