The Talented Mr Ripley

NANCY NAPPER CANTER is let down by a distinctly un-talented production.

Queens’ Fitzpatrick Hall, 14-18th February, 7.45pm, £5-6

Directed by Craig Slade and Sarah McCann

[rating: 2/5]

Phyllis Nagy’s stage adaptation of The Talented Mr Ripley demands a lot of the lead actor. It calls for an ever-present Ripley who can communicate sensitivity and intelligence, but also desperation and amorality. A Ripley who must captivate and repel simultaneously.

So it was lucky that most of the evening’s talent came from Will Peck as the eponymous anti-hero. Peck was particularly deft at monologue. Holding the audience’s gaze with confidence and poise, he divulged Ripley’s psychopathic fantasies with impressive energy. His American accent was also consistently strong, unlike some of the cast.

But my enjoyment of the monologues was incomplete. Ripley’s soliloquies should have engrossed us because they provided an insight. It is through monologue that the psychopathic, sexually jealous killer cowering behind Ripley’s calm façade is revealed. In a performance that was too much psycho and not enough charmer, there wasn’t enough of a discrepancy between façade and interior. Though a talented actor himself, Peck was less good at acting the talented actor. This was symptomatic of a production that ultimately lacked subtlety.

The heavy-handedness caused some problems. A charmless Ripley left us uncertain why Rickie or Rickie’s parents found him so endearing, and why people believed his compulsive lies. The play’s pace was therefore uncomfortable, with friendships and tensions developing too quickly to be believable or engaging. The result was a lack of momentum that was enervating. In addition, we didn’t really need quite so many reminders of the importance of the coastal setting. The coastal backdrop and coastal sound effects were enough; having so many of Rickie’s coastal watercolours hanging from the ceiling seemed unnecessary.

The essential violence in the piece also often just felt inept. Ripley’s repeated kicking of Freddie Miles’ corpse tried but failed to shock. It was simply awkward for actors and audience alike.

Not that Peck was the only mitigating factor. Johnny Falconer was charismatic as the suspicious Freddie Miles, and Kesia Guillery was especially memorable when playing a drunken Marge. Sound effects and (strobe) lighting were both used to great effect. But, for a play about a slick killer, neither killer nor production seemed quite slick enough. In a week abounding with plays, it’s hard to recommend a thriller that, well, just didn’t thrill.

• Thriller

Seems you're basing your judgement on the film? The book/play/film are almost entirely different genres.

• Laura

What? I went to see it in opening night, and ok, perhaps some of the tech needed a polish, but the acting was impeccable! I don't know what you thought you were going to, but clearly you went in with expectations of a different show.

• Chairman

I watched this last night (2nd night) and I'm so glad I took the risk after reading this review. It must have improved hugely since the 1st night. The comments about Peck are absolutely right except I think he did manage to charm to an extent, however his character should not be confused with that of Matt Damon's portrayal in film, that was merely one actor's take on the role. The other two main characters (Rickie and Madge) were a lot better than is let on above and complemented Ripley perfectly. Also the American accents held out great, they wouldn't trick a Yank but for an amateur production to a largely British audience they are more than adequate.

Overall I was so pleased I chose to watch this and was gripped right from Peck's superb opening monologue to the final scene. Easily 3.5/4 stars.

• Chairman

I swear my comment got refused because I disagreed with this review.

Heard something newsworthy?

and

The mafia is opening its ranks: FEATURES EDITOR

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

, Cambridge Editor

Tab’s BIGGEST BNOCs: Special Mentions + Top 50

We promise to stop milking this stupid idea after this article. Really.

Everything you’ll understand if you don’t like football

What is an accumulator and how do I get my hands on one?

and

The undiscovered genius of tapered tracksuit trousers

It’s like your legs are the wafer in a Kit Kat

Netflix has announced release dates for several big shows

House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are coming back

Valentine’s with your BFF is much better

People are calling it Galentine’s

, Chief Reporter

How to blag your way through the Super Bowl, according to a proper American

‘The thing about Denver Broncos is they always try and walk it in’

, Features Editor

What’s the best month to have your birthday?

It’s your princess day