The Talented Mr Ripley

NANCY NAPPER CANTER is let down by a distinctly un-talented production.

Queens’ Fitzpatrick Hall, 14-18th February, 7.45pm, £5-6

Directed by Craig Slade and Sarah McCann

[rating: 2/5]

Phyllis Nagy’s stage adaptation of The Talented Mr Ripley demands a lot of the lead actor. It calls for an ever-present Ripley who can communicate sensitivity and intelligence, but also desperation and amorality. A Ripley who must captivate and repel simultaneously.

So it was lucky that most of the evening’s talent came from Will Peck as the eponymous anti-hero. Peck was particularly deft at monologue. Holding the audience’s gaze with confidence and poise, he divulged Ripley’s psychopathic fantasies with impressive energy. His American accent was also consistently strong, unlike some of the cast.

But my enjoyment of the monologues was incomplete. Ripley’s soliloquies should have engrossed us because they provided an insight. It is through monologue that the psychopathic, sexually jealous killer cowering behind Ripley’s calm façade is revealed. In a performance that was too much psycho and not enough charmer, there wasn’t enough of a discrepancy between façade and interior. Though a talented actor himself, Peck was less good at acting the talented actor. This was symptomatic of a production that ultimately lacked subtlety.

The heavy-handedness caused some problems. A charmless Ripley left us uncertain why Rickie or Rickie’s parents found him so endearing, and why people believed his compulsive lies. The play’s pace was therefore uncomfortable, with friendships and tensions developing too quickly to be believable or engaging. The result was a lack of momentum that was enervating. In addition, we didn’t really need quite so many reminders of the importance of the coastal setting. The coastal backdrop and coastal sound effects were enough; having so many of Rickie’s coastal watercolours hanging from the ceiling seemed unnecessary.

The essential violence in the piece also often just felt inept. Ripley’s repeated kicking of Freddie Miles’ corpse tried but failed to shock. It was simply awkward for actors and audience alike.

Not that Peck was the only mitigating factor. Johnny Falconer was charismatic as the suspicious Freddie Miles, and Kesia Guillery was especially memorable when playing a drunken Marge. Sound effects and (strobe) lighting were both used to great effect. But, for a play about a slick killer, neither killer nor production seemed quite slick enough. In a week abounding with plays, it’s hard to recommend a thriller that, well, just didn’t thrill.

• Thriller

Seems you're basing your judgement on the film? The book/play/film are almost entirely different genres.

• Laura

What? I went to see it in opening night, and ok, perhaps some of the tech needed a polish, but the acting was impeccable! I don't know what you thought you were going to, but clearly you went in with expectations of a different show.

• Chairman

I watched this last night (2nd night) and I'm so glad I took the risk after reading this review. It must have improved hugely since the 1st night. The comments about Peck are absolutely right except I think he did manage to charm to an extent, however his character should not be confused with that of Matt Damon's portrayal in film, that was merely one actor's take on the role. The other two main characters (Rickie and Madge) were a lot better than is let on above and complemented Ripley perfectly. Also the American accents held out great, they wouldn't trick a Yank but for an amateur production to a largely British audience they are more than adequate.

Overall I was so pleased I chose to watch this and was gripped right from Peck's superb opening monologue to the final scene. Easily 3.5/4 stars.

• Chairman

I swear my comment got refused because I disagreed with this review.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Cambridge Editor

Could you be the next Tab mafia boss?

We’re recruiting Senior Editors for Michaelmas 2016

How to be a creeper

To bae or not to bae

Cambridge nightlife is changing for the better

From Strawberries and Creem to renting out pub basements: the possibilities are limitless.

, Assistant Editor

Putlocker has been blocked by internet service providers

Goodbye, old friend

Your gym leggings might be causing you health problems

At least they make you look cool

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Can you guess whether these people are pro-Brexit?

See if they’re innies or outies based on their outfit

Can you guess the price of these Waitrose ‘Essentials’?

You paid how much for Ardennes Pâté?

, Argument Editor

Forget London, I’m moving to Bath

It’s better in every single way