Machine of Death

Editor KIERAN CORCORAN predicts that this play will be suddenly killed by being bad.

Corpus Playroom, 7-11th February, 9.30pm, £5-6

Directed by Lawrence Bowles

[rating:2/5]

Wouldn’t it be exciting if we knew how we were going to die? Wouldn’t it provide perfect material for a lateshow at Corpus? Nope.

The play wonders what might happen if a stupid metal box could give you a cryptic idea of your death – would people live more recklessly, or become jibbering wrecks? And the question surely on everyone’s lips: what would happen to the life insurance salesmen?

It makes a great pitch, but when it comes to actually doing the play, Machine of Death is nowhere near as clever or interesting as I’d hoped.

This death-prediction-comes-ironically-true idea has been peddled since before people discovered clothes that weren’t togas, so to make anything good out of it you need to do something new. It also helps if your message of doom arrives more… excitingly.

But lack of originality and lame props weren’t the real problem. Machine of Death  has no consistent narrative; it’s actually a kind of sketch show based around this fundamental what-if, but does nothing to let you know it (though perhaps the drawn-out and unnecessary scene changes should’ve tipped me off). People entered looking, sounding and acting the same as in the previous scene, but were playing different people. This is bloody disorientating at first.

The actors were alright; given that the play was shit there’s only so much you can do. However it was a bit annoying that the characters stayed so similar across scenes (except for in the “mad scientist” one, but that’s easy to ham away at), which interfered with my magic ability to guess when everybody’s suddenly a different person.

But as well as being a confusing sketch collection, Machine is an unfunny one. The only type of joke on show is “now that’s an ironic/funny death you’ll be having,” which is fine once or twice, but can’t hold up for an hour. Also the sketches were so short that they couldn’t help but be very superficial in their exploration of the titular machine’s effect on modern lives, making every scene even more similar and bland. No amount of skilled acting can salvage that.

If Machine of Death had been based on a good idea, or had been based on an OK idea but well-executed, it could have been a good play. Neither of these things happened, and as a result it never really rises above being a curiosity that probably isn’t worth paying to see.

@kj_corcoran
  • Fair

Review. You do feel bad for the actors though.

• agreed.

yeh same to above.

• Confused Fury

TYPICAL TAB BIAS EDITOR THEATRE EDITOR FRIENDS AND PARTIAL AND I'M SO CROSS I COULD SPIT ON THE FLOOR

• Confused with you

But he gave it a bad review.

• Egidius

don`t spit on the floor, it will just make a mess

• Lazy

By the sound of it, this play is based on a book of stories compiled from authors all over the world in 2010. It would be interesting to know if they made up their own stories with the machine as the theme or whether they flat out plagiarised from this book.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Machine-Death-Collection-

• ignorant

Or they could easily have paid the publishers rights to adapt the work, as normally happens with book adaptations. Don't be quite so quick to cry plagiarism.

Heard something newsworthy?

,        

Cambridge BNOCs give advice for RAG Blind Dates

Take it or leave it, you’re only soothing their egos

Pipe down humanities, you don’t know suffering

You need to stay quiet when we’re whining

and

The mafia is opening its ranks: FEATURES EDITOR

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

, Contributing Editor

How what you watch on Netflix affects your sex life

The science of Netflix and Chill

, Contributing Editor

Just what is ‘dabbing’ and why do footballers keep doing it?

Look at my dab

North London is the best

Stop saying it’s frumpy

, Contributing Editor

Every single person you will ever sleep with

Literally all of them, we’re not even joking

, Chief Reporter

Football teams are now signing people who are really good at Fifa

Can you do it on a cold night in Stoke though?

, Chief Reporter

George Galloway: ‘I don’t regret pretending to be a cat on Celebrity Big Brother’

This man wants you to vote for him to be Mayor of London