Machine of Death

By on

Editor KIERAN CORCORAN predicts that this play will be suddenly killed by being bad.

Corpus Playroom, 7-11th February, 9.30pm, £5-6

Directed by Lawrence Bowles

Wouldn’t it be exciting if we knew how we were going to die? Wouldn’t it provide perfect material for a lateshow at Corpus? Nope.

The play wonders what might happen if a stupid metal box could give you a cryptic idea of your death – would people live more recklessly, or become jibbering wrecks? And the question surely on everyone’s lips: what would happen to the life insurance salesmen?

It makes a great pitch, but when it comes to actually doing the play, Machine of Death is nowhere near as clever or interesting as I’d hoped.

This death-prediction-comes-ironically-true idea has been peddled since before people discovered clothes that weren’t togas, so to make anything good out of it you need to do something new. It also helps if your message of doom arrives more… excitingly.

But lack of originality and lame props weren’t the real problem. Machine of Death  has no consistent narrative; it’s actually a kind of sketch show based around this fundamental what-if, but does nothing to let you know it (though perhaps the drawn-out and unnecessary scene changes should’ve tipped me off). People entered looking, sounding and acting the same as in the previous scene, but were playing different people. This is bloody disorientating at first.

The actors were alright; given that the play was shit there’s only so much you can do. However it was a bit annoying that the characters stayed so similar across scenes (except for in the “mad scientist” one, but that’s easy to ham away at), which interfered with my magic ability to guess when everybody’s suddenly a different person.

But as well as being a confusing sketch collection, Machine is an unfunny one. The only type of joke on show is “now that’s an ironic/funny death you’ll be having,” which is fine once or twice, but can’t hold up for an hour. Also the sketches were so short that they couldn’t help but be very superficial in their exploration of the titular machine’s effect on modern lives, making every scene even more similar and bland. No amount of skilled acting can salvage that.

If Machine of Death had been based on a good idea, or had been based on an OK idea but well-executed, it could have been a good play. Neither of these things happened, and as a result it never really rises above being a curiosity that probably isn’t worth paying to see.

• Fair

Review. You do feel bad for the actors though.

• agreed.

yeh same to above.

• Confused Fury

• Confused with you

But he gave it a bad review.

• Egidius

don`t spit on the floor, it will just make a mess

• Lazy

By the sound of it, this play is based on a book of stories compiled from authors all over the world in 2010. It would be interesting to know if they made up their own stories with the machine as the theme or whether they flat out plagiarised from this book.

• ignorant

Or they could easily have paid the publishers rights to adapt the work, as normally happens with book adaptations. Don't be quite so quick to cry plagiarism.

• Daniel

For a second I thought I’d stumbled onto VICE this article being such hard-hitting and edgy journalism….

Pulitzer nomination beckons.

• Hipster whale

What was the point of this article.

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

The Union Presidential Elections: The Tab interviews Sachin and Charlotte

We asked the Union presidential candidates why you should vote for them

By on

Finn McRedmond Week 7: Stop being a tragedy hipster

Morality isn’t about being cool

By on

Review: Be Waffle

ANNA WHITE has a wonderful break at Be Waffle

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it

By , Chief Reporter on

We be burnin’: Meet the golden boys who tan

Lads trip to the sunbeds anyone?

By , Features Editor on

How to come out to your parents

‘My mum hung up on me when I told her I was gay and didn’t call back for 45 minutes’

By , Features Editor on

What club photographers really think of you

A lot of editing goes into that squad Facebook photo

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s the meanest thing anyone’s ever done to you?

Everything is funny when it happens to someone else