Oxford Prof Found Dead

By on

An Oxford Professor was found dead earlier this week, amid suspicions of murder.

An Oxford professor was found dead at a house in a village just outside the city earlier this week.

At first there were suspicions that Prof Steven Rawlings, a fellow at St Peter’s College, was murdered. Dr Devinder Sivia, a St John’s (Oxford) tutor was arrested in connection with the event.

Thames Valley Police have since confirmed that there will not be a murder enquiry and Dr Sivia has been granted bail.

Prof Steven Rawlings, 50, a fellow and tutor in physics at St Peter’s College, was pronounced dead late on Wednesday evening after the emergency services were called to a bungalow in Southmoor, outside Oxford.

Rawlings’ wife told the press that she did not believe her husband was murdered, calling his death “a tragic accident.” She added that Prof Rawlings and Dr Sivia, who wrote Foundations of Science Mathematics together in 1999 and conducted joint research, had “were best friends since college.”

Professor Rawlings

The cause of death has yet to be determined, but it is hoped that further tests will help explain what really happened. Police are not looking for any other suspects.

Thames Valley Police said “We are liaising closely with Oxford University and it is apparent that he was well-respected and liked within the college, and colleagues and students have been devastated by the news.”

The master of St Peter’s described Rawlings as a “much liked and admired tutor and colleague.” Rawlings, who had a PhD from Cambridge, had been a professor since 1994 and was head of astrophysics at Oxford between 2006 and 2010.

Roger Davies, the current head of Rawlings’ old department, described his predecessor as a “world-leading astrophysicist” and said that “the impact of his death is going to be felt very widely.”

• George

This has nothing to do with Cambridge

• I'm sure

Lewis will get to the bottom of it

• TPJ

I'm sure someone will endeavour to find out the truth…

• J.W.

This says all that anyone needs to know about the two places: he got a PHD at Cambridge, and got murdered at Oxford.

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By on

Why do girls love calling each other sluts?

The week 8 ADC late show ‘Girls Like That’ follows a group of girls and explores the toxic, social-media dominated world we grow up in.

By on

Oxford captain RULED OUT for Varsity match happening in 11 DAYS

With very little time to go, Cambridge gets a massive boost

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness