Oxford Prof Found Dead

By , Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

An Oxford Professor was found dead earlier this week, amid suspicions of murder.

An Oxford professor was found dead at a house in a village just outside the city earlier this week.

At first there were suspicions that Prof Steven Rawlings, a fellow at St Peter’s College, was murdered. Dr Devinder Sivia, a St John’s (Oxford) tutor was arrested in connection with the event.

Thames Valley Police have since confirmed that there will not be a murder enquiry and Dr Sivia has been granted bail.

Prof Steven Rawlings, 50, a fellow and tutor in physics at St Peter’s College, was pronounced dead late on Wednesday evening after the emergency services were called to a bungalow in Southmoor, outside Oxford.

Rawlings’ wife told the press that she did not believe her husband was murdered, calling his death “a tragic accident.” She added that Prof Rawlings and Dr Sivia, who wrote Foundations of Science Mathematics together in 1999 and conducted joint research, had “were best friends since college.”

Professor Rawlings

The cause of death has yet to be determined, but it is hoped that further tests will help explain what really happened. Police are not looking for any other suspects.

Thames Valley Police said “We are liaising closely with Oxford University and it is apparent that he was well-respected and liked within the college, and colleagues and students have been devastated by the news.”

The master of St Peter’s described Rawlings as a “much liked and admired tutor and colleague.” Rawlings, who had a PhD from Cambridge, had been a professor since 1994 and was head of astrophysics at Oxford between 2006 and 2010.

Roger Davies, the current head of Rawlings’ old department, described his predecessor as a “world-leading astrophysicist” and said that “the impact of his death is going to be felt very widely.”

Facebook Twitter
  • George

This has nothing to do with Cambridge

• I'm sure

Lewis will get to the bottom of it

• TPJ

I'm sure someone will endeavour to find out the truth…

• J.W.

This says all that anyone needs to know about the two places: he got a PHD at Cambridge, and got murdered at Oxford.

Heard something on campus?

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

An interview with The Footlights

The Tab sits down with tour show director Ken Cheng and performers Adrian Gray, Archie Henderson and Eleanor Colville to talk about freshers, being funny and their new show.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Let’s face it, Freshers’ week is overrated.

In all honesty, most of us finish the week with the flu rather than with friends.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Best clubbers of the week

You drink, we judge

By ,         on

Third years who found their housemate dead in his room are now being sued for unpaid rent

They were too traumatised to return

By , Chief Reporter on

UCAS head who called private school kids boring clones sent her kids to…private schools

They went to Westminster, Latymer and Haileybury College

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course