Living With The Amish

By on

THOMAS SELYWN-SHARPE puts on his bonnet and gets really into corn.

Thursdays, 9pm, Channel 4

Living with the Amish is reality television as it should be. It’s gentle pace and open-minded nature helps to remind us that the genre can actually be taken from reality, unlike artificially constructed shows such as Sorority Girls or Made in Chelsea. The clue is in the title for this social experiment, as a group of teenagers are sent to live with Amish families in Ohio.

The six teenagers chosen to represent Britain’s youth include one of Cambridge’s own, Siana Bangura. Siana sharply and noisily made her views known, and controversially states early on that she hates wearing her bonnet. For six weeks the British girls performed nothing but household tasks, and I can’t imagine that Siana or her fellow guinea pigs will be holding back their views on the role of women in Amish society by the end of the series.

Street Style: Ohio

The most warming aspects of the show were the relationships between the hosts and their ‘children’. Patriarch Jonathan and James grew closer as the episode went on, and James offered his host the ultimate sign of respect for a modern teenager by having his hair cut in the Amish style.  Similarly, Marietta demonstrated her maternal love when teaching spoilt Charlotte (who appeared visibly shaken by the presence of a dust-pan and brush) how to perform the daily chores.

An interesting addition to the group was George, an Eton student, who certainly saw the irony when describing the Amish community as ‘archaic’ and ‘insular’. Whilst his introduction (walking through Eton in his tail-coat) may have prepared us for a stereotype, his carefully considered actions best represented both himself and his education.

Always on hand with humour and charm, George offered Jonathan a listen on his iPod and encouraged James to take over the shovel in the stable that he wielded with such ease. While the scene of him getting changed into Amish costume may have fluttered the hearts of a few of the female members of the audience, it was certainly not something the Amish would have approved of. We can look forward to him putting his 1st XV Rugby muscles to use next week as he helps the community raise a barn in a day. Clearly, as one of his admirers put it, ‘chicks dig the simple life’.

In fact, judging by the popular reaction to Living with the Amish, we all ‘dig the simple life’. Eight-miles an hour (the maximum speed of their beloved buggies) would be a welcome change to the hectic life of a Cambridge student. If you’re feeling the void left by the end of Downton Abbey and Fresh Meat, then try to catch this fascinating look into a culture which is nowhere near as ridiculous as Weird Al Yankovic would have us believe. It’s not to be Amished.

• Arts Student

Cambridge life is hardly 'hectic'.

• Active Arts Student

Oh it could be, with effort.

• Hmmm

I don't think Siana came across very well. She didn't seem willing to get properly stuck in. Why would you sign up to that kind of thing and then spend your time judging it and being smugly patronising?

• Hmmm BUT

I think the point was to experience and also challenge so that everyone took something away from it in the end.

• Petrean

I'd say she came off very well. Exactly like herself- very much an individual and possibly overly expressive with the melodramatic eye-rolling, but definitely not 'smugly patronising'. They didn't show her objecting to getting stuck in, either, it just focused more on James and Charlotte's efforts to do so in this week's.

• sOs
  • Observant

Read the Telegraph article about this the other day. Can't help noticing that George (who comes off rather well in this article) has the same surname(s) as you. Apple Crumble!

• Nepotism Judge

Poor form Thomas. Poor form old boy.

• alice

Can you please stop with the fucking Stalin pictures? It’s not edgy, it’s just embarrassing

• Et-hoooon

Is this a joke? ‘George’ – the well represented Etonian, is the brother of the guy who wrote this! Shocked that conservative propaganda has reached the tab

• Should be a Geography student

Queens is on Long Island

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By on

BREAKING: Oxford captain RULED OUT for Varsity match happening in 11 DAYS

With very little time to go, Cambridge gets a massive boost

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness