Jesus Rises Again

NETBALL: MICHAEL ALHADEFF wraps up the league season as Jesus claim the title.

college netball dowing jesus league champs murray edwards Newnham Queens' st johns trinity hall

Jesus clinched the Division One netball title, despite a last round defeat to Murray Edwards. TabSport concludes all this term’s action.

Murray Edwards 26-13 Jesus

In a top of a table clash, Muz continued their stunning run of form by beating table toppers Jesus. However, it was ultimately not enough as Jesus still walked away with the crown. As expected it was the toughest game of the league – Muz packing the sidelines with supporters in the hope of victory. Due to the calibre of the match, Muz had to rely on excellent defence work of Eliza Lefroy (GK), Emily Lester (GD) and Jess Daly (WD). At the other, the Muz attack were able to put away the points.

All to play for in the top-of-the-table clash

Jesus’ captain Katie Elliott was keen to praise the incoming freshers for their title winning success. She also focused on the teamwork needed to create a title team. If there was a tinge of disappoint, it was the loss of the unbeaten tag in the final game, but this will surely be rectified if Jesus can retain their cuppers title ensuring a league and cup double.

Newnham 15-13 Tit Hall

Newnham finished the league as runner-up, edging out a valiant Muz side on goal difference. To demonstrate their status as the second best performers in the league, Newnham put in another strong performance against a determined Tit Hall. This was reflected in the tight score line, for much of the match the scores remained neck and neck with it tied at 10-10 all by the end of the third quarter. The match was characterised by a skilful Newnham midfield which was cancelled out by a fearsome Tit Hall defence. In the crucial final quarter, Newnham managed to edge ahead and hold on to claim second place in the league.

John’s 6-14 Queens’

John’s entered their final league match in a bit of a muddle, starting with only six players. It meant Queens’ could take advantage of John’s failing in punctuality, in particular Fiona Gillanders who made the most filling her pockets in only her first start to the season. More accustomed to the rugby pitch these days, it is clear Gillanders hasn’t lost her deftness in touch. When John’s wing defence finally turned up, they were able to launch their own offensive, but Queens’ were able to hold onto the victory in what must be considered a pleasing campaign.

Downing 17-10 Corpus

It was a case of sending out a makeshift team for Downing, but it clearly didn’t affect them as they were able to dispatch Corpus. With the loss of part of their shooting duo, it required Francesca Thornton to step in and fill the gap. This she did with some aplomb as she worked well with GS, Callista Harris, who was able to score freely from all about the goal circle. This was critical in maintaining the lead. But this was only done through teamwork as Celia Harrison was at the head of a well marshalled defence who had to keep Corpus’ talented goal attack at bay.

Photos courtesy of Mayo Beano