Filthy Lucre

by , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

DAVID HOLLAND gets filthy in the vaults. It's confusing, but in a good way.

The Vaults, Monday 14th November, £4

[rating: 4/5]

Filthy Lucre was one of the oddest and most enjoyable nights out I’ve been to in a long time. An interesting mix of music, chat, drinks and dancing; it is very hard to pin down exactly what the evening was, other than absolutely stellar.

In essence this was a contemporary classical music concert held in a cocktail bar, but this somehow doesn’t seem to cover the atmosphere of the event. The Filthy Lucre team added to The Vaults with light projections, a bean bag and cushion area and mood lighting, and the result was something altogether unique.

The music began with Terry Riley’s ‘In C’, a 45(ish) minute minimalist piece in which different members of the orchestra have different ‘phrases’ and are encouraged to play these an arbitrary number of times starting at arbitrarily decided different points. The different tempos, lack of a true melody and the fact that is piece is so avant-garde made it a bold choice for an opener. Interesting and unlike almost any other live music you’ve heard in Cambridge but the nuances and explanation of the piece may have been slightly lost on the non-musically trained of the evening.

This was OK though; this wasn’t a sit-down-in-reverent-silence type of concert, we drank cocktails, chatted to people, lay on the floor and stared at lava-lamp projections. The atmosphere in the room was as much a focus as the music.

Terry Riley’s In C – An excerpt

The medley of instruments and performers, who were playing essentially in the middle of the room, regularly revolved as the music and the evening evolved. Less avant-garde – and more recognisable to us musical mortals – we saw a cover of a chirpy plucked violin number written by Final Fantasy. The first truly recognisable piece, however, was a blistering version of Under Control by The Strokes. The mixture of down beat vocals and more melodic instrumentation made this, if anything, more enjoyable than the original.

The personal highlight of the evening was the final song of the evening before the conclusive DJ set. A stirring rendition of Arcade Fire’s My Body Is A Cage, a fitting crescendo to the beautiful and bizarre evening. Pretty-but-dancey house music and BOGOF cocktails meant the rest of the night was a brilliant daze.

It’s hard to put into words what exactly the evening was, and what it offered but, if anything, this is to its credit. The event offered something we never see in Cambridge – an exploration of music that isn’t top 40’s hits or Disney themes in a venue that doesn’t drip with sweat. And to top it off they offered a wider drinks selection than VKs or Becks.

Filthy Lucre is looking to repeat once a month, and I urge you strongly to check it out.

Facebook Twitter
  • Joshua Reviewin

This was bangin, with lots of good playin and singin in a clubbin atmosphere. Also a lot of drinkin and I'm havin trouble rememberin what else. Three and a half stars.

The Tab is a network of 60 university news sites with thousands of student reporters

By on

LIVEBLOG: The CUSU Freshers Fair 2015

All you need to know

by , Senior Tab reporter on

Best Dressed: Freshers’ Fair

The Tab’s Fashion editors, GEORGINA WONG and VICCI NELMES scout out the best dressed students at this year’s Freshers’ Fair.

By on

Introducing: the Tab’s new agony uncle

Niyi Adelakun is here to solve all of your Cambridge problems

by , Chief Reporter on

Drunk student Tory spends £311 on an Uber from Manchester to London

He claims he put in the wrong address

by , Chief Reporter on

Eton had a dubstep society and they ‘tore up filthy sets’ in every meeting

They even spelled it ‘dub step’

by , Chief Reporter on

Diversity Officer charged for racist ‘kill all white men’ Tweet

She also banned white men from an equality event

by , Chief Reporter on

University Challenge sphincter preservation is ‘no laughing matter’

Contestant’s course leader says it’s not funny

by and on

Leeds The rise and rise of S Club 3

There’s never been a better time for S Club to reach the top

by , Tab reporter on

Edinburgh Inside the surreal world of the Edinburgh wine society

Pass the merlot, Cressida.